Where to stay post cruise (Port Everglades, Miami)

Piggeldy

We are on a TA arriving in Port Everglades on 16 November, our flight back home leaves Miami on 18 November (afternoon-ish).

Where would it be best to spend those two nights?

I always thought it would be easier to go to Miami from the port, stay there and then have a short (taxi/shuttle) ride to the airport. But hotels in Miami / Miami Beach area seem to be more expensive than hotels in the Fort Lauderdale area? Is there really a price difference or am I making that up?

Any tips on inexpensive (we thought maybe $150 to $175 per night max?) and clean hotels in either FLL or MIA? We don't need huge rooms and can live without complimentary breakfast, shuttle, parking... nice and clean, restaurants and shopping nearby (we don't want to rent a car really) or access to public transportation would be great. Areas to avoid?

How bad is traffic between Fort Lauderdale and Miami around noon on a weekday? Would it be stupid to consider going to the airport from Fort Lauderdale?

Do shuttle services (SAS etc.) offer service from the Fort Lauderdale port? All I can see on the websites is FLL Airport pick-up? Can they drop you off at MIA airport (I understand they can't pick you up)?

I have browsed the board but it does get overwhelming fast, I have to admit. DH has never been to Florida, I have only been once (13 years ago and I didn't care much about "nice and clean" in my early 20s), neither of us has been in the US since 2001... being an over planner and over worrier doesn't help ;)

We are on a TA arriving in Port Everglades on 16 November, our flight back home leaves Miami on 18 November (afternoon-ish).

Where would it be best to spend those two nights?

I always thought it would be easier to go to Miami from the port, stay there and then have a short (taxi/shuttle) ride to the airport. But hotels in Miami / Miami Beach area seem to be more expensive than hotels in the Fort Lauderdale area? Is there really a price difference or am I making that up?

Any tips on inexpensive (we thought maybe $150 to $175 per night max?) and clean hotels in either FLL or MIA? We don't need huge rooms and can live without complimentary breakfast, shuttle, parking... nice and clean, restaurants and shopping nearby (we don't want to rent a car really) or access to public transportation would be great. Areas to avoid?

How bad is traffic between Fort Lauderdale and Miami around noon on a weekday? Would it be stupid to consider going to the airport from Fort Lauderdale?

Do shuttle services (SAS etc.) offer service from the Fort Lauderdale port? All I can see on the websites is FLL Airport pick-up? Can they drop you off at MIA airport (I understand they can't pick you up)?

I have browsed the board but it does get overwhelming fast, I have to admit. DH has never been to Florida, I have only been once (13 years ago and I didn't care much about "nice and clean" in my early 20s), neither of us has been in the US since 2001... being an over planner and over worrier doesn't help ;)

Rent a car and stay in Ft Lauderdale. It's much safer than Miami, less expensive and there's more to do, especially if you have a car.

I'd stay in the FLL area where (you are correct) hotels are cheaper than comparable hotels in Miami or Miami Beach. We like the Embassy Suites, with shipping and dining nearby and a free happy hour :D, but there are many hotels nearby in a variety of price ranges. November should not be that expensive unless there is some sort of event going on.

QLS or Go Airport Shuttle can get you from the FLL area to MIA for about $30+ per person, or you can take a cab for about $85+. :eek:

Traffic is tough to predict, but the trip to MIA should take just under and hour. You can save $$, but it will take longer, if you ride the tri-rail train from FLL to MIA. http://www.tri-rail.com/

Good luck! :)

From an earlier post by FLL resident RoyalCruz:

Hyatt Place is in a good location. Beach area hotels near a lot of restaurants:

Beach Place

Ritz Carlton

Alhambra

Westin

W

Hilton

Courtyard

Bahia Mar

B Ocean is near a few restaurants and walking distance to Galleria Mall.

Marriott Harbor Beach, Sheraton, and Best Western Oceanside are a little further but also walkable.

Archived