Who's Dorothy? And why...

CanadianMAG

As I read the conversation here, I remembered a news item I read last week re: the treatment of/attitude towards homosexuals in the Caribbean. It was either Time or Newsweek, can't remember. Apparently, some island officials were opposed to homosexuals visiting their islands...one of the islands mentioned was St. Kitts. They had actually notified cruise ships that they didn't want gays and lesbians disembarking onto their territory. Unbelievable. Apparently, due to protest, now many of the islands have apologized and are trying to back off.

They had actually notified cruise ships that they didn't want gays and lesbians disembarking onto their territory. Unbelievable. Apparently, due to protest, now many of the islands have apologized and are trying to back off.
Gee, that's odd; you'd think the islanders would be so busy counting the tourists' money they wouldn't have time to ask for their orientation I.D. cards... :rolleyes:

Now I know who Dorothy is. A bunch of her friends had a big party down in Key West in October, 1997 when we had scheduled a long weekend there. It was Fantasyfest and we didn't know it was a gay festival.

Cheers

General Max

That must have been an eye-opener for you, if you just happened to show up at Fantasy Fest without knowing what you were getting into! :D

jc

Grand Cayman Wouldn't Allow A Charted "gay" Cruise In To Their Port, A Couple Years Ago...big Mistake...my Brother Who Is Gay, Told Me That It Was Written Up In An Article In A Gay Publication..

Lets Just Say, The Government Of Grand Cayman, Are Still Feeling The Effect Of That Decision...must Of The "gay Community" Have Banned Going There (cruise Or Land Tours) And The Tourism People There Have Tried Everything To Lour Them Back..

As My Brother Once Told Me...more Gay People Have Passports, Travel More, And Have More Money Then Most "straight People", And If A Tourism Group Are Smart, They Would Do Anything To Keep Everyone Happy...

Just Thought I Would Put In My 2 Cents!!!

I, like Krazy Kruisers, did not know what Bill W was when I was on the Noordam many years ago with my father. I figured it was some sort of contest to see who would show up. I thought I might get a prize or something so I convinced my sister to go with me. When we arrived at the lounge there was no one there. Finally, I asked the bartender and he explained to me what Bill W was. We got back to the room and told my dad and he said we should have asked him. You see he had been sober for a couple of decades. Even though my dad passed away, my family still laughs about my Bill W experience today.

Grand Cayman Wouldn't Allow A Charted "gay" Cruise In To Their Port, A Couple Years Ago...big Mistake...my Brother Who Is Gay, Told Me That It Was Written Up In An Article In A Gay Publication..

Lets Just Say, The Government Of Grand Cayman, Are Still Feeling The Effect Of That Decision...must Of The "gay Community" Have Banned Going There (cruise Or Land Tours) And The Tourism People There Have Tried Everything To Lour Them Back..

As My Brother Once Told Me...more Gay People Have Passports, Travel More, And Have More Money Then Most "straight People", And If A Tourism Group Are Smart, They Would Do Anything To Keep Everyone Happy...

Just Thought I Would Put In My 2 Cents!!!

Not only that, but they have great taste...all the best, new restaurants in our town are owned by gay folks. The service, ambiance and food are terrific and the staff is so lovely...we give them a lot of our business, not because they're gay (who cares?) but because we enjoy the establishments.;) Our children had an English teacher in Middle School who is gay and he has become a wonderful friend. He is gifted and giving, yet some parents still wince. When will we accept people for their hearts, etc. and not for their personal lifestyle?

Another FYI...Fantasyfest in Key West is not a homosexual event. It is, however, an overtly sexual event. If that's not your thing, it's certainly not the time to be in Key West. If it is your thing - well, PARTY!

Another FYI...Fantasyfest in Key West is not a homosexual event. It is, however, an overtly sexual event. If that's not your thing, it's certainly not the time to be in Key West. If it is your thing - well, PARTY!

interesting that you mention this... i forgot which crew member i was discussing this very subject with (on the 5/28 zuiderdam) but there was some talk of flip-flopping HMC and Key West on the next sailing (the one out right now), for fear that some of the more elderly/stodgy passengers might be offended by fantasyfest (particularly the more flamboyant gay participants). dunno if it actually came to pass - guess we'll know when the 6/4 group returns and reports.

That's funny, Frogso. For some people no time is a good time to be in Key West. They just don't 'get it'. We happen to love KW and all the folks of the Conch Republic. :D

interesting that you mention this... i forgot which crew member i was discussing this very subject with (on the 5/28 zuiderdam) but there was some talk of flip-flopping HMC and Key West on the next sailing (the one out right now), for fear that some of the more elderly/stodgy passengers might be offended by fantasyfest (particularly the more flamboyant gay participants). dunno if it actually came to pass - guess we'll know when the 6/4 group returns and reports.

There will always be party poopers...:mad:

I loved Key West - but don't know that they loved us very much...

...our visit was on a gay charter cruise which had a free shore excursion walking tour of Key West w/ a drag queen/hostess. Imagine @ 400-500 gay men following a drag queen w/ a megaphone down Duval Street, stopping to see the sights, blocking traffic, etc.

The very next weekend, the local Conchs staged a protest against cruiseship passengers...

:eek:

[quote name='bepsf'][font=Georgia][size=3]I loved Key West - but don't know that they loved us very much...[/size][/font]

[font=Georgia][size=3]...our visit was on a gay charter cruise which had a free shore excursion walking tour of Key West w/ a drag queen/hostess. Imagine @ 400-500 gay men following a drag queen w/ a megaphone down Duval Street, stopping to see the sights, blocking traffic, etc.[/size][/font]

[font=Georgia][size=3]The very next weekend, the local Conchs staged a protest against cruiseship passengers...[/size][/font]
:eek:[/QUOTE]

Was the drag queen dressed like Cher? What a sight...:)

The buying power of the U.S. gay / lesbian population is now estimated to be over $600 billion. That's within $100 billion of the African-American or Hispanic market size.

Cruiselines aren't going to ignore that -- and they don't!

[quote name='OhioGirl']Grand Cayman Wouldn't Allow A Charted "gay" Cruise In To Their Port, A Couple Years Ago...big Mistake...my Brother Who Is Gay, Told Me That It Was Written Up In An Article In A Gay Publication..

Just Thought I Would Put In My 2 Cents!!![/QUOTE]

[font=Book Antiqua][size=3][color=navy]We've walked this road before. There are always those that feel it's enormously funny. But it's really not a funny issue. It takes strength and determination to recognize and deal with alcoholism. For anyone who has ever been touched by alcoholism either in themselves or in their families, it's just not a laughing matter. [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Book Antiqua][size=3][color=navy]So please , just this one time, can we just agree not to make jokes about Friends of Bill W?[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Book Antiqua][size=3][color=navy][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Book Antiqua][size=3][color=navy]And as to Friends of Dorothy meetings, I can't think of a reason in the world the group meetings shouldn't be listed in the Daily Program. It's a wonderful way for a group to get together and meet others who live the same lifestyle. I'm very pleased to read that it seems to be a part of more and more ship's Daily Programs.[/color][/size][/font]

[img]http://www.nucliawaste.com/2004RSVPCruise/2004RSVPCruise-Images/159.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.nucliawaste.com/2004RSVPCruise/2004RSVPCruise-Images/160.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.nucliawaste.com/2004RSVPCruise/2004RSVPCruise-Images/161.jpg[/img][url="http://www.nucliawaste.com/2004RSVPCruise/2004RSVPCruise-Images/161.jpg"][/url]
[b][i][font=Georgia][size=4][color=magenta]Enjoy!;) [/color][/size][/font][/i][/b]

[img]http://www.nucliawaste.com/2004RSVPCruise/2004RSVPCruise-Images/163.jpg[/img]
[i][font=Georgia][size=3][color=magenta]If you look carefully, you can see my forehead in this one![/color][/size][/font][/i]
:p

Please, I know you had the best of intentions in your response but you hit a nerve on something is that just as upsetting to many gay / lesbian people.

My life is not my lifestyle. I don't live according to a stereotype any more than a straight person.

I once heard a good line in a movie: Being gay is my life. Owning a golf condo in Boca Raton is a lifestyle.

[quote name='HeatherInFlorida'][font=Book Antiqua][size=3][color=navy]We've walked this road before. There are always those that feel it's enormously funny. But it's really not a funny issue. It takes strength and determination to recognize and deal with alcoholism. For anyone who has ever been touched by alcoholism either in themselves or in their families, it's just not a laughing matter. [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Book Antiqua][size=3][color=navy]So please , just this one time, can we just agree not to make jokes about Friends of Bill W?[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Book Antiqua][size=3][color=navy]And as to Friends of Dorothy meetings, I can't think of a reason in the world the group meetings shouldn't be listed in the Daily Program. It's a wonderful way for a group to get together and meet others who live the same lifestyle. I'm very pleased to read that it seems to be a part of more and more ship's Daily Programs.[/color][/size][/font][/QUOTE]

My mother-in-law has lived in Old Town, Key West since the late 60s, I lived there many years ago but still spend a few weeks every winter visiting. She and her pals (both gay [i]and[/i] straight) hate what the cruise ship does to their quiet town.

Like trying to get to the post office and being runover by the Conch train.

Oh, also, if you're ever on the Conch train, don't listen to what the drivers tell you. They go by several times a day and you can hear each driver telling a different story about the same place: including [i]her[/i] house.

susan.

When we were in Key West in October 1997, we stayed at the Sheraton. That was headquarters for the Fantasyfest Queen contestants. Boy, did we get an eye full from our balcony overlooking the pool area. I did get a picture of Mrs. Max with the person selected Queen of Fantasyfest.

Cheers

General Max

Archived