Terry in Ohio -- Norway photos

indigosails

Terry, your photos always knock me out. You have an excellent eye. What kind of camera/lens do you use? Cheers, Rian

Appreciate your nice comments and good question. The picture postings have been great fun in sharing. The "eye" is part of "it", both for when shooting and reviewing/editing. As others have mentioned over time, the visuals are very powerful and sometimes what people remember most. That's why this thing called television has done fairly well in our society. I like the Eyewitness and Insight travel books because of their great variety of good visuals.

On the camera, I now have a Nikon D3100 that does a great, 14mp file size to allow lots of quality and editing. My pictures in the Greek Isles, Baltics and Norway, taken in 2006-2010, were done with a Nikon D50 or single lens reflex (SLR) camera. I have upgraded to a Nikon D3100 that shoots at a higher pixel level and has a few other improvements. That D3100 camera with the basic Nikon 18-55mm zoom lens would run under $500 in the USA today. Recently, Nikon came out with a D3200 with some adding improvements, 24mp for this "consumer-level" of SLR. A good camera, but not at the top-pro, high-cost levels. But, just like with an artist or cook, it is not always the quality of the paint brush or pots and pans. It's the skill, focus, creativity and interest of the user.

Lens are also important. Mostly I shoot with the Nikon 18-55mm mid-range zoom lens that came with this camera. Now have also a Nikon 55-300mm VR lenses for longer shots and a 10-20mm Sigma wide angle that is great for church and building interiors, etc. This Nikon D3100 camera also has 1080HD video capability that works well with our two grandsons born within 21 and a half months of each other. In most cases, I shoot in the program or auto setting, letting the camera do the work on settings and focus so that I can be more concerned on framing and subject options. These cameras can be “complicated”, but I try to avoid those challenges and distractions. Here are a few basic, key photography secrets:

1. Shooting lots of pictures. That's easier with digital to do, learning as you are taking pictures. Show people only the "good ones!" and do not boring them with the average and/or poor ones.

2. Move closer! Zoom in, fill up the frame, try different angles.

3. Involve people. Make it interesting. Get that human element/connection when possible.

4. Hold things steady. Gently squeeze. Use door frames, walls to lessen the blurs in lower-light situations.

5. Editing: Fine-tune your pictures on your lap-top, brighten when needed, level it out, improve the croppings, etc. Narrow down to only your "best of the best" pictures before sharing. I do that on my MacBook Pro computer using their iPhoto software tools. Fairly quick and easy!!

You can also check out this earlier posting with more details: Baltics/Cuirse Picture Secrets! Key Tips, Ideas, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=977864

YES, getting good cruise pictures helps keep those great memories alive and well for the future, etc. Any added question, interests, comments?? Happy to share more as needed.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 96,393 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 120,282 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Thank you Terry. I am a photo/camera buff (Canon) and I found that most interesting. I use a fast zoom but I tend to shoot on very large format and crop because I don't hold as still as I'd like. I have to edit anyway, as my horizon lines are seldom straight!

Thank you Terry. I am a photo/camera buff (Canon) and I found that most interesting. I use a fast zoom but I tend to shoot on very large format and crop because I don't hold as still as I'd like. I have to edit anyway, as my horizon lines are seldom straight!

Yes, both Canon and Nikon make good things and their competition have improved the options and potentials for all of us. Doing a little post-shooting adjustments to straighten are fairly easy and can improvement things nicely. Keep up the good efforts. Let me know any added questions and/or comments.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 120,584 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Archived