Any tips for Alaska Cruise r/t?

EileenN

Can your daughter transfer and can she climb a few steps into a tour bus? If not, you may experience problems with many of the tours offered. And depending on your itinerary, one or two of your stops could be tender ones, and depending on the ship and their rules, they may or may not allow her on the tender unless she can step onto the tender.

The only tour I've seen as fully accessible is the White Railway tour in Skagway. If you stop in Juneau, you are right in the middle of the city there, so you can go it alone there.

• 1 month later...

Juneau: Captain Larry from Orca Enterprises has a wheelchair lift equipped van and a special boat for whale watching.

Skagway: White Pass train has special wagons with lift. On cruise days the train stops just beside the ship. You must pre book and inform them that you need this special wagon.

Greetings Gaby

• 3 weeks later...

Let the salesman convince you that the Taku Lodge float plane trip is possible unless you have someone extremely strong going along to assist :)

I was told they load people in the planes all the time no problem. When we arrived , the pilot looked at my paraplegic partner and said "I hope you can walk up the ladder because I have a bad back"

I almost cancelled at that point, but Steve looked forward to this excursion more than anything. I lifted him a step at a time while another guy came behind us to help with his feet. Once arriving at the lodge though,....the people there were great.

I am glad we went to the lodge, because hurricane force winds kept us from docking at Sitka and it rained the whole time in Ketchikan. My back recovered after a few months ...lol.

Still, was a great trip with great views

Archived