London to Harwich - Harwich to So'ton

bob-a

There have been many questions asked & answered about how to get from London to and from Harwich. I am settled on knowing that for us (DW & I) the train works best. We are going on a cruise out of Harwich on May 13 and are finally close enough that schedules to Harwich are posted.

So, here's the question - we will take the cruise train (the non-stop one) to Harwich. The price shown is £30pp. I feared that a round-trip would mean £120 for the two of us:eek: A helpful assist over on Tripadvisor suggested booking an open return (off peak) when booking the cruise train to Harwich.

I went on the Greater Anglia Rail site, and the cost would be £67 for the two of us:D:D. Seems almost too good to be true, so thought I should seek secondary confirmation here! (that's question 1)

Here is question #2 - On return from Harwich on May 24, we are proceeding immediately to Southampton. It appears that the fare (one way) from Waterloo Sta. for the 2 of us would be £75:(. Am I right that the only viable alternatives would be: A) hope I can find a workable time/fare on Megatrain when it's schedule for that date comes up; or B) taxi to Victoria Coach Sta. and use Bus/Coach instead to So'ton?

Seems the more I learn, the more questions that arise and the more confused I get:rolleyes:

The off-peak return may not be available on the cruise train back to London from Harwich.

This just for Harwich to Southampton:

Your cheapest option is the 9.33 Liverpool Street-bound train to Stratford at £13.00. You need to change trains at Manningtree, but in this direction it's a simple change from one side of the platform to the other, no stairs etc. Arrives Stratford 10.45

Direct tube train (Jubilee line) from Stratford to Waterloo. Costs £4.50.

A tube train every 3 minutes & journey time 19 mins - you have 54 minutes available for this journey in order to catch the 11.39 train from Waterloo to Southampton.

Pre-booked megatrain ticket for 11.39 train from Waterloo to Southampton Central, arrives 1.15pm. Probable cost £6

Total cost £23.50 per person.

That 11.39 train from Waterloo is the only one you can take with Megatrain tickets that will get you to Southampton in good time to board your ship. You should comfortably make it but if you don't, simply tear up those cheapie Megatrain tickets & buy full-price tickets at Waterloo, there are about 3 trains per hour & any train leaving before about 12.30 will arrive in good time for registering at the ship.

If you're not happy to use the tube, take the 8.33 from Harwich, same change at Manningtree, this train doesn't stop at Stratford, arriving Liverpool Street at 9.56. Costs £15.50.

Taxi 2 miles to Waterloo cost mebbe £12.

Same 11.39 train (pre-booked megatrain) Waterloo to Southampton, probably £6

Total cost about £27.50 per person.

You will have about an hour & three-quarters for that 2 mile taxi hop, to catch the 11.39 from Waterloo.

I reckon I could push the taxi from Liverpool Street to Waterloo in an hour & three-quarters ;)

If for whatever reason Megatrain tickets aren't available, cheapest would be the 8.33 to Liverpool Street.

Either direct tube (Circle line) to Victoria then short walk from Vic train station to Vic coach station, or 4-mile taxi ride.

Book the 11.30 National Express coach to Southampton coach station, arrives 1.40pm.

Total cost about £30 per person.

This based on random dates for a friday - as you know, 24th May is not yet showing on all transport. You'll need to confirm, and book if Megatrain or Nat Express, closer to the date.

Complicated, innit ;)

JB :)

As always, gratefully surprised at the speed of responses.

Scottbee, thanks for the advice re train from Victoria- it's slow, but we don't sail from So'ton til the next day. I'll use it to compare to Megatrain - nice to have the option.:)

John B - thanks for the detailed response. I realize the cruisetrain from Harwich isn't available for off-peak return, but since I know (from your previous advice) that we don't have to use steps/subway in this direction, we'll be comfortable with a train change at Manningtree. So, if I understand rightly, the return would only cost the £3 (for open return) above the £30 for the London-Harwich cruisetrain. Since as noted above, we don't sail from So'ton til the next day, we'll have a bit of flexibility looking at Megatrain tix. And now 2 other options: Train or Coach from Victoria. I am a much happier traveler:D

("If I understand rightly")

As always, gratefully surprised at the speed of responses.

Scottbee, thanks for the advice re train from Victoria- it's slow, but we don't sail from So'ton til the next day. I'll use it to compare to Megatrain - nice to have the option.:)

John B - thanks for the detailed response. I realize the cruisetrain from Harwich isn't available for off-peak return, but since I know (from your previous advice) that we don't have to use steps/subway in this direction, we'll be comfortable with a train change at Manningtree. So, if I understand rightly, the return would only cost the £3 (for open return) above the £30 for the London-Harwich cruisetrain. Since as noted above, we don't sail from So'ton til the next day, we'll have a bit of flexibility looking at Megatrain tix. And now 2 other options: Train or Coach from Victoria. I am a much happier traveler:D

("If I understand rightly")

According to http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search you can buy an open return ticket for £33.80 per person. This appears to allow you to take any train, including the direct cruise train, to Harwich. But my reading of the website is that for this price the return train would have to be departing Harwich at 09.33 or later.

This of course isn't a problem, you could have a leisurely breakfast while the herd line up to disembark. :) It would be cheaper than buying a cruise train single to Harwich (£30) plus a single (£13.00) back to Liverpool Street. But it does have to be bought in advance.

That's my reading of it. But they do like to make life complicated :rolleyes:

You would still make that 11.39 megatrain from Waterloo, but since you're not sailing same-day you could book a later one. Mebbe stash your bags at Waterloo's left-luggage & spend a few hours in London.

Since you're not sailing same-day, the other options are also available.

But Paddington to Southampton involves a a train change, and no Megatrain tickets on that route.

Trains from Victoria direct to Southampton are cheaper than full-price tickets from Waterloo, but again no Megatrain tickets. And an extra hour on the journey time since they follow a totally different route.

If you choose Nat Express coach (about £6), book the 12.30 or later. And check their luggage restrictions.

Great,

Then it should be either the Megatrain from Waterloo Sta, or the slooww train from Victoria Rail.

But, if neither works, is hitchhiking terribly frowned on?:rolleyes:

Seriously, cannot thank you enough

The cruise train between Harwich International and Liverpool Street doesn't appear on any schedule on-line that you can buy tickets for.

I would presume you have to pay the full "anytime" fare on this or maybe they charge their own Harwich Cruise Train fare?.

Does anyone know for sure what they charge on this train and if it realtes to any published fare for the scheduled trains where you chage at Manningtree

The cruise train between Harwich International and Liverpool Street doesn't appear on any schedule on-line that you can buy tickets for.

The "cruise train" is simply an extra train added to the timetables on days when a large cruise ship is in Harwich.

It runs direct, with no stops, and terminates at Harwich International. If you check out trains to Harwich on 13th May or 14th May (when the OP sails), there's such a train at 12.28. Ditto 5th May, when Costa Magnifica sails. But no such train on other dates.

That bit's easy - but the fares around that date are a nightmare.

On regular trains as cheap as £11 single - but it looks like all are £30, same as the direct non-stop cruise trains, on days when that cruise train runs. Ditto the reverse journey. I used to think that the cruise train carries a premium. Mebbe it's a premium on all trains on a cruise day :confused:

Add the fact that the timetables currently only go out to 16th May, that there are large ships sailing out of Harwich on 13th, 14th & 15th May, & that the OP is looking to include a return beyond the currenty-available schedule on 24th May & life gets very complicated.

Price-wise, this has been a tough one, hopefully all will become clearer in a couple of weeks time when the OP's return date comes 0n-line.

If I were selling tickets at the ticket booth, by now the queue would be stretching for miles :D

On regular trains as cheap as £11 single - but it looks like all are £30, same as the direct non-stop cruise trains, on days when that cruise train runs. Ditto the reverse journey. I used to think that the cruise train carries a premium. Mebbe it's a premium on all trains on a cruise day :confused:

I just checked, JB, and I'm seeing that too. That's outrageous, if it's really the case.

And to add potential confusion, in that case savings might be had for a group of 4 adults by buying a Network Railcard - would cost £28 for the card and takes that £30 fare down to £19.80....But only saves about £3/head. Let's not go there!

Archived