Cheapest way from FLL to Miami

OC Mom

Looking for the cheapest way to get from FLL to Miami for my husband and I. We aren't traveling with a group, so shuttles/limo buses are looking expensive. Rental cars, including all of the fees and taxes are looking like $45 or so (on way). Any couples have a cheap way they went?? Thanks.

We are flying into MIA and staying in FLL. We checked out limo's, shuttles and all the other stuff, and well the car rental came out the best. And $45 for the car is a good price and I saw shuttles start at $65. Since we are doing a Pre and Post stay the car became the best idea and of course the cost. I understand there are car rental places near the docks

Good Luck

With just the 2 of you, rental car is probably the best way. $45 seems high, I've found several for around $25 or so - make sure you get discounts. You can find some online or get them for belonging to AAA, AARP, Sam's Club, etc. We found a van for $54 - that really bumped our price up from a car, but 5 people just weren't going to fit in an economy car with all of our luggage! One thing to be careful of is that your agency will have a shuttle between the airport and the dock.

Carnival also has transfers that are $16 each way per person. If you are staying at a hotel that has transfers to the airport that might be an option - just head back to the airport and take their bus. That way you could avoid having to drive to Miami airport then shuttle to the dock.

Dh And I Took Tricounty Airport Express. They Have A Stand Right Outside The Door Of The Baggage Area And You Did Not Have To Have Advance Reservations. Since There Were Just The 2 Of Us We Did A Shared Ride With 2 Other Ladies. I Believe The Cost Was Around 15 Each And They Took Us Straight To Our Miami Hotel.

Thanks Stevenpatty and Signman :). After researching all of our options, we decided to go with Tri-county. It's $17 from FLL to the Port of Miami and since we don't need reservations, I don't have to worry about rushing to catch our transport or worrying about our flight getting delayed. It can take up to 90 mins for the transfer if they have to pick up others, but we have plenty of time built into our schedule. Thanks for the advice.

There is a train that goes from FLL airport to Miami airport that costs about $3.00 pp each way. I'll do some digging to find out the details if you're interested. Let me know. Nancy

Take a pass on the train (Tri-Rail). Not really designed for the tourist with luggage in hand. The schedules are haphazard, the printed timetable and the actual schedule never match.The train line ends about a mile from the airport. You'll still need to pay additional to get to the port from the train station. I wouldn't want to start my vacation going this route.

Take a pass on the train (Tri-Rail). Not really designed for the tourist with luggage in hand. The schedules are haphazard, the printed timetable and the actual schedule never match.The train line ends about a mile from the airport. You'll still need to pay additional to get to the port from the train station. I wouldn't want to start my vacation going this route.

DH looked into the train, but it looks like a mess to me...getting to the train, from the train to the port, and the LONG ride to Miami (I guess it stops a lot).

Just offered up the cheapest way:) ..........Our luggage all clasps together so pulling it along wouldn't be a problem for us. We were going to go that route last September but the whole train system was shut down because of hurricane Jeanne.....we wound up hiring a car to drive us from Miami to FLL. Cost $75.00 plus tip. It was a beautiful Lincoln Town Car....we felt like royalty arriving at the Port! For our first "real" cruise and after all the delays from the hurricane it was well worth it! Nancy

I have flown into FLL and left on our cruise out of MIA. We did the Tri-County ride share as well, It was great and plan to use them again, my only advice is to print out the price you get quoted before you leave. We were quoted $15.00 per person, and we ended up sharing the van with 3 other people, when we got to the Sheratin in MIA, we had to pay $20.00 per person, Not a big difference, but if you are on a budget, every dollar counts. The driver said he was not told of the $15.00 rate from the guy who loaded us into the van. Also one more side note, remeber its a shared ride and not everyone is going to the same place, we saw some nice places, as we dropped people off, but FLL to MIA is only about 20 mins normally and it took us 45 minutes, but we had fun and we were on vacation so it really didn't matter.

Have fun.

Kathy

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who gave input on this. I was wondering this exact thing and this thread helped a lot.

Just to pass on the little bit of info that I learned......there's a Ramada Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruiseport that has a Miami Cruise Port Package. It's the hotel room PLUS transportation to or from (whichever you need) the port and their hotel. I don't know anything about this hotel, but from what I have read on Expedia, it seems like it's okay for a night pre or post cruise. Has anyone stayed there and can give input?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived