Carnival up-charge restaurants

hexdragon

For the $35 each we figured it was worth the try... We're not going to go again. Yes, it is a couple notches higher in quality than the normal dining room food. But for $70 a couple + additional tip, is it worth it? We didn't think so. The difference in food and service was not worth the added price.

We'd rather go to Ruths Chris back home and get a great steak/meal.

Besides, take into account the value of the dining room meal included in the cruise cost that you didn't partake in and then add the $35 additional fee. Now what's your meal really costing you?

You're already on a cruise, that makes it special enough in the regular dining room. Saving the money for a local steakhouse back home gives you an additional special moment to enjoy dinner when you're back home.

But each person has a different opinion on food, service and quality. So maybe give it a try for yourself and find out?

The $35 pp includes the tip unless you want to tip more for the service.

Keith

Actually all the times I've gone to the steakhouse (3 out of 4 Carnival cruises) I've ordered:

Salad (prepared fresh table side)

Soup

A Starter (appetizer)

Main Course (Usually the Filet Mignon)

Dessert

plus while waiting between the soup and starter the server or hostess has always come over w/ a small sampling tray compliments of the chef (but I've since heard this varies chef to chef.

So in my opinion it was well worth the $35 extra per head since the same meal at a land based prime steak house would of run us about $100 per head.

Yeah, I forgot about the salad, but the soups are listed with the starters, so while you could probably order two starters (one of them being a soup) the normal menu includes the starter, salad, main and dessert.

Here's a typical steakhouse menu from the Magic (thanks to Zydecocruiser)

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/CarnivalMagic/primeSteakhouse.htm

Still a great value!

Archived