Carnival up-charge restaurants

hexdragon

So on this upcoming cruise I will be hiding from a birthday, a significant birthday... Anyways I was thinking of going to one of the up-charge restaurants that particular day...

First off, the Steakhouse: Part of me is balking at the $35 per person charge. I'm thinking to myself, "If I go to Outback, Lone Star, or Longhorn, it's less than $35 with the tip!" But I am wondering if it like comparing a Little Cesar's pizza pizza with a real, hand tossed, brick oven baked pizza.... Just wondering, am I allowed to get two appetizers? The meatballs and the soup sound good...

Ji Ji Asian Kitchen: The website just says "nominal charge" What does that mean? $10???

Cucina del Capitano also does really say what the extra fee is. Is it worth it?

And how fast do these restaurants fill up? I assume I make a reservation online....

So on this upcoming cruise I will be hiding from a birthday, a significant birthday... Anyways I was thinking of going to one of the up-charge restaurants that particular day...

First off, the Steakhouse: Part of me is balking at the $35 per person charge. I'm thinking to myself, "If I go to Outback, Lone Star, or Longhorn, it's less than $35 with the tip!" But I am wondering if it like comparing a Little Cesar's pizza pizza with a real, hand tossed, brick oven baked pizza.... Just wondering, am I allowed to get two appetizers? The meatballs and the soup sound good...

The Steahouse is a GREAT experience - well worth the up charge. We do it at least once per cruise - usually more. Very nice for a celebration. Never had a meal there I have been disappointed in. The meal includes an appetizer, salad, entree and dessert - all quite large.

Ji Ji Asian Kitchen: The website just says "nominal charge" What does that mean? $10??? Not sure what this is??

Cucina del Capitano also does really say what the extra fee is. Is it worth it? Done this on the Magic and the Breeze. The fee is $12.00/pp - way more food that I can eat and it is well prepared - and it has a more causal feel to it than the Steakhouse. Meal includes an appetizer, and entree and dessert.

And how fast do these restaurants fill up? I assume I make a reservation online....

Reservations can be made via email - or once on board. I do not believe that online is an option.

Obviously we enjoy the specialty restaurants - so we definitely feel it is worth it! ;)

I've done the specialty restaurant (steak house) on three different cruises and enjoyed it every time. Definitely worth it. It is not Outback....it's much fancier. It's the sort of meal you'd easily pay $75+/head for on land.

We did Cucina del Capitano on Magic and Breeze. Loved it. We just did it this month on Breeze. No charge at lunch . $12 at nite. It is so worth it. Great food. I would do it if you have a chance. We made reservations and had no problem. Steak house filled up very fast. We got on ship on Sat. Called on Sunday and had to go on waiting list. We are Platinum and never got on. We had 3 couples all Platinum. We love the specialty places. They are great.

First off, the Steakhouse: Part of me is balking at the $35 per person charge. I'm thinking to myself, "If I go to Outback, Lone Star, or Longhorn, it's less than $35 with the tip!"

We did the steakhouse a few times on our last cruise, it was worth the up charge in our opinion. That said, you cannot compare the steaks you get at the steakhouse to ones you get @ the franchise restaurants. Like you had mentioned. Also, you are paying for a more upscale dining experience.

It is like saying Pizza Hut pizza is better then a New York pizza. You just cannot compare the two.

Well, I have one less thing to worry about when sailing on the "Victory" this month.

The Victory has no "up-charge" fancy resturants. Don't even have the free "Guys" hamburgers everyone here seems to rave about.

Good basic transportation! :D

Ji Ji Asian Kitchen: The website just says "nominal charge" What does that mean? $10???

Cucina del Capitano also does really say what the extra fee is. Is it worth it?

The Carnival Steakhouse IS NOT like Outback, Lone Star, or Longhorn. Those places sell USDA Choice graded beef. Carnival Steakhouses sell USDA Prime graded beef.Only 10% of the beef cut meats in the USA are graded USDA Prime. As a previous poster said, Carnival Steakhouse is more like Ruth's Chris or Morton's or Del Frisco's. At those places the least expensive steak entree is between $35 & $40. Sides are all extra, starting at $7, dessert is extra, etc. The $35 up charge is nominal compared to going to 1 of the above mention beef steak restaurants.

just off the Breeze we did the Steakhouse twice and the Itailian Rest twice...we enjoyed it very much...we look at it this way...I can't go out to dinner for $70 for a nice steak and/or surf/turf plus you get the appetizer and dessert....a nice quiet dinner without 300 other people in the same dining room. Enjoy

The Carnival steakhouse is closer to Ruth's Chris or Morton's than Outback. Remember that for the $35 charge you get an appetizer, main dish and dessert. Even at Outback you would be close to $35.

Actually all the times I've gone to the steakhouse (3 out of 4 Carnival cruises) I've ordered:

Salad (prepared fresh table side)

Soup

A Starter (appetizer)

Main Course (Usually the Filet Mignon)

Dessert

plus while waiting between the soup and starter the server or hostess has always come over w/ a small sampling tray compliments of the chef (but I've since heard this varies chef to chef.

So in my opinion it was well worth the $35 extra per head since the same meal at a land based prime steak house would of run us about $100 per head.

Hubby and I did the steakhouse on the Liberty and were severely disappointed. I had lobster - maybe that was the mistake and he didn't enjoy his meal either. We have determined not to try it anymore - we like the MDR just fine. I think it may have been a bad chef night - it seemed everyone had the chef come out and all were making complaints. :rolleyes:

Surely when looking at the economics of if it is worth it, you should also add in the "value" or "price" that you have already paid for dinner (that you would have had in the MDR) but even if you add that in with the $35 a person it is well worth it. The meal was on par in my opinion to a place locally that is easily $75-$100 a person pre-tip.

When we went I did not get a salad, but did get Soup and and Appetizer. They were delicious, and certainly worth any value.

For the $35 each we figured it was worth the try... We're not going to go again. Yes, it is a couple notches higher in quality than the normal dining room food. But for $70 a couple + additional tip, is it worth it? We didn't think so. The difference in food and service was not worth the added price.

We'd rather go to Ruths Chris back home and get a great steak/meal.

Besides, take into account the value of the dining room meal included in the cruise cost that you didn't partake in and then add the $35 additional fee. Now what's your meal really costing you?

You're already on a cruise, that makes it special enough in the regular dining room. Saving the money for a local steakhouse back home gives you an additional special moment to enjoy dinner when you're back home.

But each person has a different opinion on food, service and quality. So maybe give it a try for yourself and find out?

We went to the steakhouse on the Dream this past May - the other ships we have been on have not had a steakhouse. We loved it! We are from a small rural town and we don't have any of the higher end steakhouses people have named anywhere around us. I can tell you it is way above an Outback or something like that. I just booked the steakhouse on our upcoming cruise on the Freedom. We went the first night on the Dream and are going the first night on the Freedom. I don't know if they still offer it - but you did get a bottle of wine if you went the first night.

We don't go to the MDR very much on cruises anymore...when our children were younger and went with us - our daughter loved doing that so we always went - but the past three years since we have been cruising by ourself we normally go to the MDR maybe one or two times.

I thought the Steakhouse was well worth the price on Freedom last year (it was only $30 then, but it would be worth it for $35 as well)

As the other posters have already said def closer to Ruth Chris than Outback or Longhorn. Ruth Chris is basically impossible to do for less than $100 for 2 people (and realistically even more than that with an app, and a dessert!) so $70 for the Carnival Steakhouse is a pretty good deal.

I dont think I would eat at the Steakhouse on every cruise or anything same as I dont go to Ruth Chris frequently, but its def worth the splurge every so often.

Also on a side note the Ceasar salad in the Steakhouse was WAY better than the MDR Ceasar, and the piece of cheesecake for dessert was GIAGANTIC, and easily my favorite dessert all cruise long. (even though the choclate melting cake is pretty freaking good too)

Archived