RCL Freedom of the seas potty trained

IrishDMBF

We are going on the Freedom of the Seas in July. We have a 2 year old who will be 3 by the time of the cruise that we are trying to potty train so that he can go to the kids club but he is stubborn and refuses to go potty.

We called Royal Caribbean and they said that he wouldn't be able to be in the kids club unless he was potty trained but they wouldn't give a clear answer on whether or not he could use the nursery or not since he was older than 36 months but not potty trained.

Will Royal Caribbean let 3 year olds into the nursery??

Also any hints on potty training a stubborn 3 year old boy???

i'm going thru this with my 3.5 year old son. it has to be HIS idea or else he will fight me tooth & nail. my girls were so easy by comparison! however!! we happened to have a ceramic souvenir ship from one of our previous cruises. i use this as a visual reminder to my DS that he needs to "try" to go potty. I also show him all the videos i can find on youtube of the cruise, especially the pools, & remind him that he can't do this unless he goes poo-poo or pee on the potty all the time. I really do think it helped him! we just completed our 3rd day accident free and we're sailing in May. I do constant reminders and visuals seem to really help, at least my son ALOT! I also think that it helped him realize that if HE does this, HE is choosing to have fun. Helps him to think it was really more his idea than mine. ;-)

I tried about everything with my son. down to taking away all his toys and telling him that santa was disappointed he was still in diapers and would bring his toys back once he went potty. nothing worked other than the above. could be coincidence of course, but i put no pressure on him. every hour or so would say "do you want to go potty? remember, you need to try if you want to have LOTS of fun on the big boat!" and he would just go! =) good luck! hope he cooperates with you!

It can be messy, and but we let out son run around naked and he potty trained himself in a day. He would run into the backyard when he had to go and he thought it was pretty funny that he could go outside. Not sure where you live, so that might not be an option depending on the weather, but definitely being naked, or at least bottomless was the key. Good luck!

You know I'm only here doing research for something and saw this. My sister had such a hard time training her daughter and I was home watching Dr. Phil and I saw a trailer that said guaranteed in 24 hours to potty train. So I watched and told my sister. It was a very draining day she said but the child potty trained in 24 hours. I certainly don't mean to tell you how to potty train your child since I never even had children but I'm just passing it along.

http://www.drphil.com/articles/article/264/

I did potty training boot camp with my almost 3 year old last summer before our vacation. I googled then came up with my own schedule.

Day 1

Underpants, timer set for every 15-20 minutes to put her on the potty to at least try.

Day 2

Underpants, timer for every 30-45 minutes.

Day 3

Underpants with frequent reminders, quick trip outside.

Day 4

First day out of the house, I think we went to the park. It had to be somewhere she wanted. I told her she was wearing underpants and I only had one change of clothes, after that we had to go home if she wet herself, and shed have to ride home in wet clothes. She didn't wet, I reminded her frequently. We didn't stay out terribly long.

Day 5

Another fun day out, no change of clothes available. Wetting = go home immediately in wet clothes.

She's been trained since! We did keep her in a pull up for a 3 hour plane rude followed by a 3 hour car ride about 3 weeks after training but by thanksgiving we trusted enough to let her on a 4 hour car ride without a pull up.

Former Kindergarten teacher here- never had a non-disabled child who wasn't potty trained.

They will decide to do it when they are ready.

Sis wouldn't potty train. Mom gave up on her. She trained herself on a camping trip.

Diapers and pullups keep the kids too dry. Get them into Big Boy/Girl underwear.

Show him pictures of the pool and remind him that he won't be able to go into the pool if he's not potty trained... give him a goal!

(this is advice I've seen in previous posts here in CC, aside from nocturnal enuresis to a late age, we had been lucky in terms of potty training)

Thanks for all the advice!

I was really worried but sometime around last sunday something clicked in his brain and he is so proud of himself. Yes, there have been a few accidents but he now wants to go and will tell me when he wants to go. I have even made a few trips out of the house without accidents.

I started with YouTubes of Freedom of the Seas and told him he wouldn't be able to go in the pool on the "Big Boat" unless he went potty. I took away the pull up and he wet himself one time and told him that we wouldn't change him straight away. He didn't like that. Ever since he will go when told and even under his own steam. Rewards have also worked. I think he realizes he has more control by going potty than not!

I think/hope he will be trained by July. I am hoping he will be ready for AO!!!

• 7 months later...

Like this tread. Who would have thought I would find helpful potty training ideas on cc. We are cruising with 25 month old twin girls in January 2014. it sure would be nice to have them potty trained but they may be too young just yet.

Sarah

Archived