Does Carnival have the right to open checked luggage?

Arcticcat

We have millions of contracts that supersede constitutional rights every day. I signed a contract where I work that takes away my right to free speech, my 4th amendment rights, my right to bear arms. We can consent, at any time, to give up our rights. That is one of our rights.

Whether you sign anything or not, there is no right to free speech on private property. Same with the rest.

Whether you sign anything or not, there is no right to free speech on private property. Same with the rest.

So, private property allows the owner of said property to prohibit free speech but doesn't allow the owner of the property to search my belongings. Tell that to the security guard who checks my brief case every morning.

The US Constitution is the supreme law of the country and nothing can be written that supersedes it and stand. It would be tossed.

I think you have taken your argument over the edge. So when Carnival says no firearms, your constitutional right to bear arms supersedes that right. HUH?

So, private property allows the owner of said property to prohibit free speech but doesn't allow the owner of the property to search my belongings. Tell that to the security guard who checks my brief case every morning.

They can search you if they want. If your briefcase is locked, they can't break the lock. They can bar you from entering or even terminate you but they cannot destroy your property.

Simply put, the Constitution protects people from the government. Private property owners have the right to use their possessions in a manner that protects them from anyone. Private property ownership pre-existed government and thus their rights are upheld.

So back to the original discussion, yes, they absolutely can go into your luggage and if that means cutting a lock, then yes, they can do that.

They can search you if they want. If your briefcase is locked, they can't break the lock. They can bar you from entering or even terminate you but they cannot destroy your property.

Sure they can. They may have to reimburse you but they have every right to do it. You said they could when you signed your contract.

Carnival probably chooses not to break locks and finds it more in everyone's best interest to have the person in question come and unlock their suitcase. That is the adult thing to do.

I think you have taken your argument over the edge. So when Carnival says no firearms, your constitutional right to bear arms supersedes that right. HUH?

It's a lost cause. But hey, at least he is consistent. Consistently wrong, but consistent. ;)

The US Constitution is the supreme law of the country and nothing can be written that supersedes it and stand. It would be tossed.

none of which has anything to do with someone searching your bags upon entering private property. No free speech, no freedom from unreasonable search and seizures no right to bare arms, these are all restrictions on government not private companies. Yes you have the power to refuse a search when entering a ship...and they have the power to not let you on as a disorderly person and no refund either.

"Update, 3:45 p.m. EST: Carnival spokeswoman Jennifer de la Cruz tells us that "It is not mandatory that guests keep their luggage unlocked and the wording in our guest communications is being softened a bit to indicate that we recommend it be unlocked in order to avoid any inconvenience or delay in the delivery of luggage to the cabin ... If luggage is locked (including TSA locks) and potentially prohibited items are identified during the screening process, that luggage will be retained and must be opened by the guest in the presence of security personnel."

from

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3667

so you know it must be true...

none of which has anything to do with someone searching your bags upon entering private property. No free speech, no freedom from unreasonable search and seizures no right to bare arms, these are all restrictions on government not private companies. Yes you have the power to refuse a search when entering a ship...and they have the power to not let you on as a disorderly person and no refund either.

Correct so far.

Yes, they can and will go through your luggage. They will leave a typed note saying they went through your luggage. My luggage on the Legend this last time had 2 bottles of water, really water. Had a note in my luggage that it was searched. Several cruises ago my husband had a small knife set that includes screwdriver & other tools, less than 4" long. He was called to the naughty room to open his luggage. I think it must depend on what Carnival thinks is in the luggage. If water was alcohol, just confiscate, the knife could either be shipped home via FedEx or trashed.

assaulting the luggage

no, they can't come into my house and search the luggage that I just packed.

Zip ties are for one time use. A lock states I do not consent to a search

Highlights so far for those of you just joining us.....:D

Says nothing about locks, and for example, no, they can't come into my house and search the luggage that I just packed. Until the luggage is on the ship (after screening by non-Carnival employees), it is not on Carnival property or in their custody.

Once in International waters, the US Constitution doesn't mean jack, but too late - I'm on a cruise!

NOT TOO LATE !!!! They can put you off at the next port if they find contraband. Would they ??? Big question --- It would depend on how much trouble you give them. So -- Go ahead and demand your rights and take your chances.

We fly in from Canada and on our first cruise we had to pack the 2 bottles of allowable wine in our 'checked' luggage for flying - as we weren't allowed to have it in our carry on on the flight. Our transfer from the airport to the POM happened sooo fast we didn't have time to move our wine from our checked bag to our carry on. Our bags did not arrive at our cabin. We had a msg on our phone after dinner to meet in this 'naughty' room (if you will) and they asked us to open our luggage - my husband was pretty sure they were after our bottles of wine - so he fished them out and they kept them until the last day of the cruise. Our bags were not even locked - but we were contacted to be in the room when they opened them. :)

NOT TOO LATE !!!! They can put you off at the next port if they find contraband. Would they ??? Big question --- It would depend on how much trouble you give them. So -- Go ahead and demand your rights and take your chances.

The only right I am demanding is to be present if they want to search my luggage.

Would they? No, they wouldn't find any contraband. My luggage is locked discouraging others from inserting any contraband into my luggage. They most likely would look for an easier mark.

Says nothing about locks, and for example, no, they can't come into my house and search the luggage that I just packed. Until the luggage is on the ship (after screening by non-Carnival employees), it is not on Carnival property or in their custody.

Once in International waters, the US Constitution doesn't mean jack, but too late - I'm on a cruise!

Don't the cages they place the bags in belong to Carnival? When the ship is parked at the dock, and Carnival is renting the dock space for the day, doesn't it belong to them for the day also?

You are my hero! lol. We encountered several of the most obnoxious agents at LAX. I almost lost it after 15 minutes of total nonsense. My husband had to whisper to me to take it easy because he figured I'd be delayed even longer and not allowed to make my flight.

They seem to make up arbitrary, nonsensical and ridiculous rules depending on the day, time, weather or their mood. Ugggh. I have to stop now before I get myself into trouble.

But, from me to you, a huge thank you for fighting back for all of us that have been annoyed!

It is just frustrating that they want to take so long getting to you then HURRY AND GET OUT OF HERE attitude.

Archived