Still Unanswered Question...

ducklite

These are the questions I still have, carried over from my previous thread.

Is there a decent market closer walking distance to the Tahiti IC other than Carrefours where we could get a bottle of wine, bread, cheese, maybe some meats? Is is safe to walk to Carrefours during the day.

Has anyone ever ordered room service breakfast to the OTWB? Was it just ridiculously expensive, or obscenely expensive? (Eggs, bacon, toast, juice, coffee, etc.)

We're thinking about bringing a bottle of Champagne along, will they provide Champagne glasses?

Thanks for all the help!

There is a small market going to the left when leaving the IC Tahiti. Not sure about the wine and meats and it is a bit 'scruffy'. The large Carrefour isn't that far, a 15 - 20 minute walk and it is safe during the day time. Great selections of wine, meats & cheeses ............ everything and anything.

Go to the bar, they will give you some glasses.

I've never ordered breakfast delivered.

Not that I would ever tell someone not to do anything but I have seen the breakfast that you get. It's like a buffet and its a good amount if food but you are paying a huge premium.

Then again if your breakfast is not included with your room the buffet is about $50 pp.

There is a much cheaper continental breakfast. I usually stock up at Le Marche or the lival market.

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned, the large market is only a short walk, depending upon your pace.

However, it is mostly downhill going and uphill returning. And HOT! Therefore, if you are buying a lot of heavy groceries, you might want to consider the bus or a cab for the return.

The bus is cheap and runs fairly frequently but I don't know about cabfares during the day.

The smaller market is a little closer but definitely scruffy looking from the outside. We went by it when we took the bus from the IC into Papeete.

We have reserved an OTW bungalow at the IC Tahiti and did not get the breakfast included. Since the breakfast buffet is so expensive, I have heard if you get breakfast delivered to your room, it is less expensive( from the menu)-and most likely will be a great experience. Any ideas of the cost for that and the experience- from those who have done that?

If you can bear it (I know some don't like to miss a meal or can't for health reasons) you can make 2 meals out of that buffet. We had it "included" but knew it was pricey to eat that the IC, so one day, we ate breakfast quite late 10:30 ish and called it lunch too. we never missed the calories for sure and with a light snack in late afternoon, we were easily able to make it till dinner time (in this case on board) So then its 2 meals for 2 for $100.

I'll also mention another thing I've read from others on these boards. Unless you plan on making a living going to FP and staying at the IC, this will likely be your one and only time in years you will go. 100 bucks for breakfasts offends a lot of our sensibilities, but when you consider what you are paying for the whole vacation, and how rare the destination is, is it really worth the discomfort of contorting ones whole day around finding the cheapest place to eat?

I know for some it's a sport to get a deal (hey, I can go there!:rolleyes:) but I've also learned not to when it will affect the enjoyment and comfort of the trip. We had a ball buying local goodies at a marche in Moorea and Papete and picnicking on the beach, and we saved some bucks (yeah, everybody wins:D) but trudging uphill in the heat after a long exhausting flight to save 50 bucks doesn't sound like win win to me. The items at the market are not "cheap" either. No one is setting out to rip anyone off; these islands are in the middle of the Pacific ocean, stuff is expensive to get there and expensive to dispose of waste- this creates high prices.

Something to think about...JMO, but it works for us!

Archived