Booking cancelled without my permission?

Has anybody else had this happen to them?

In October 2004, I booked a cruise on Radiance of the Seas for September 24, 2005 directly with Royal Caribbean. Last week, I transfered my booking to my travel agent by calling RCCL and giving them my TA information. Today, I went to check my booking and it has been cancelled!

I contacted my TA and my TA informs me that they were notified by RCCL that the cruise was cancelled by 'somebody' at 3:00am EST on June 7 and the deposit was refunded to a credit card on June 8 (whose credit card? I haven't seen it on my online statement yet). My TA denies doing anything with my booking other than accepting the transfer. She says that she never cancelled it, and obviously neither did I, so it must be a problem at the cruise line itself. She points out that: a) nobody works at 3:00am at either her agency or RCCL; and b) why would she do this to shoot herself in the foot? Anyhow, my booking, cabin, and category are all gone now, and in my experience with RCCL these are really not recoverable once gone.

I'm not sure what is going on here, but am hoping that someone (another TA?) could shed some light? In the past, I have transfered bookings to TAs and had original bookings cancelled and gotten new booking numbers - I assume this happens so that I become part of group bookings that are more profitable for the TA? I'm not clear on the ins and outs of this. I have a sneaking suspicion that this sort of thing was attempted and somehow an error was made along the way...

Regardless, if this cannot be "fixed", then the next option would be to book at the current rates (about $1800 more per stateroom, but higher category E1 instead of E2) and also potentially lose my confirmed first sitting status. I think this is really unreasonable and someone (other than me) should have to make up the difference! :mad:

Help? :confused:

What a bummer situation.

I hope you get some answers and keep us updated.

Funny, I am in the same situation, I booked directly with RCCL (first time) and after doing all the work myself, my TA wants me to pass the file over to her - she even explained the procedure. Only problem I have is the exact same situation you experienced. What happens if my reservation gets cancelled, lost, deleted during the process? I would definately loose out big time as there is only one cabin (in my category which I have) and there is already a waitlist for other people to get it.

After reading your thread, I think I am better off to keep my booking instead of passing it to my TA. Although she is excellent, she would get a nice commission on it.

Keep us posted please.

When i transferred a booking over to my TA, the reservation was givin a new booking number -- when I checked the reservation using the original booking # it showed up as being cancelled, but all the same information was present under the new booking number. You might want to check again using your name or other information other than the number to see if they possibly transferred it to a different number.

I booked while on the Radiance, then transferred the booking to my TA. My booking number did not change.

I wonder if the TA is doing something wrong. Either way, I would call RCI and keep after the TA to fix this mess.

Same thing happened to us! When we transferred it to the agent, it appeared as though we had been cancelled(we hadn't) I panicked and called RCCL and they confirmed that it HAD been cancelled. I called the agent who confirmed that it had not been cancelled and we were fine. I sail in 10 days and have my documents. Go through the agent- just make sure your shipboard credit transferred w/ you as well!

Karen

"Gumbert Family Cruiser"

even though the credit card credit is not yet reflected does not mean it is not there. The "float" between credits and postings can vary by as much as 45 days, all depending on the posting cycles.

I would urge you to sit on the phone with a supervisor at RCI.

It takes the cruise lines quite sometime usually to get the refund back to the credit card. It may not show up for several weeks after they credit it back to you.

I agree with those above, I would not let this drop. If you did not cancel this cruise I would be on the phone talking with the TA and RCI for the rest of the day until this is resolved.

Sorry to hear this has happened, it is definitely frustrating. :mad:

Usually when you book your cruise on the ship, the booking goes directly to your TA that booked you on the ship that you are on. If ABC tvl put you on that ship, and while you were on that ship you booked another one, a fax would go to the travel agent. Unless RCCL is playing a fast one. What kind of money do you think that agent is making? Not enough. Commissions are anywhere from 10-15 percent. Depending on the volumn of business. They do not get commisssions on port taxes,(Which runs anywhere from 150-200 per person.) Nor do they get commissions on shore excurisions, spa treatments and drinks. Only the base rate. You do the math.

I only know this because my best friend is an agent.

Just a quick update: deposit has been refunded to my Amex.

Further clarification: this booking was not originally made onboard. It was made by calling RCCL reservations.

No word on how this is going to be fixed yet. Apparently someone from Customer Service is working on it.

First sitting dining is already closed, which really ticks me off. :mad:

If the reservation was cancelled RCI or the TA can tell you exactly which credit card was credited. It may take a while to show on your statement but the credit card info is in the booking history right away. Call RCI customer service and find out exactly what happened if it was the TA's fault she probably will not admit it. When there is a cancelation the history will also tell who cancelled it!

When i transferred a booking over to my TA, the reservation was givin a new booking number -- when I checked the reservation using the original booking # it showed up as being cancelled, but all the same information was present under the new booking number. You might want to check again using your name or other information other than the number to see if they possibly transferred it to a different number.

It seems odd that they changed your booking number. I did the same thing on a cruise in February and had no problem converting the reservation over the my travel agent. In fact, several of those travelling with us did the same thing with no issues and no change in reserv. number.

I hope you get your $$$ back, first dining seating, free upgrade to a suite, and onboard credit!!!

When I switched my reservation to a TA for a back to back cruise, one booking ID was cancelled and switched to a group booking (presumably) whereas the other one kept the same rccl booking ID...

If I were you, I would not get off the phone with RCCL until it is all sorted out. As cruisingagentone said in reply 14, they can tell you who did it. If your TA did it than shes got some explaining to dooo!!

What a terrible situation.. I have learned over the years to leave well enough alone - if I book my trip direct then I leave it that way and don't mess with the file.

I bet you regret transferring it to that agent :(

Here is the story from my TA:

1. The booking was transferred to a new booking ID when her agency took over (this is nothing unusual - I've seen this a few times... probably to a group booking).

2. TA received fax confirmation of this "new" booking but it contained all the correct information from the original booking (deposit paid, C&A coupon applied, category E2, first sitting).

3. When TA opened the file next day, the booking was showing "cancelled".

4. Customer Service Representative at RCCL is still investigating how this happened.

I hope everything works out for you. I'd ask for a free upgrade at the original price you paid.

I booked my next 2 cruises directly through RCCL since my normal TA couldn't give me a cheaper rate. After hearing what you're going through, I'd be very hesitant to transfer the booking now.

I just got a phone call from my TA.

As the original Category E2 cabin has already been taken by someone else (deposit paid), obviously it cannot be reclaimed. However, I have now been booked into a Category E1 cabin on Deck Nine, mid-ship but will only be required to pay the amount of the original booking ($1800 less than current rates). My C&A coupon remains.

The first sitting dining can only be requested now... :(

I think a nasty letter to RCCL is in order now...

RCI said it was cancelled by "someone", they have the name of the person who cancelled the booking. Anytime a call is made on a booking the name of the person who called is put down and a notation of what the call is about is put in the record. They will deny this unless it is in their favor, then they have every phone call and name of person, etc. on record.

Archived