Looking for cabin for 5?

pomlover

I'm SO happy to read this post as I am dealing with the sam situation. We have 4 kids, however the oldest will not be traveling with us for this trip, so it's just our 3 daughters (14, 12, 8). We are looking for something in July and finding it extremeley difficult to find things available. We checked many RCL cruises and there are no connecting cabins available. Plus, we priced out a cabin for 3 people on RCL from Baltimore to the Bahamas fr 7 nights. The only things available were oceanview and the cost was almost $4,000 per cabin. So if we need to get two cabis it will be $7,000 something. Way out of the price range. And, I checked Disney and for 7 nights it was roughly $10,000 for a famiy suite. Sorry but that's not going to happen.

I'm calling RCL again today to talk about more options. We can go to Aruba with roundtrip airfare and a wonderful resort for $3,000. So we're still considering which one to choose.

Pomlover - my kids are 9,7,5 and I have studied this closely. I am not sure your budget or your version of expensive, but here is my research has found. When I say research it is really a matter of studying deck plans and CALLING NCL, Carnival, RCL, Celebrity.

General - What many people are overlooking is that connecting rooms book up fast and are usually set up for 2 +2. Finding a 3 person connected to a 2 person is tough - try to book a year or so in advance. (not kidding).

NCL - Look at these ships. We have connecting balconies on the Dawn for Spring Break at $4200 total. You can't get that on Oasis. Yes, Dawn is an older boat, but does it have what YOUR family needs? Family Suites (SJ) are also a good option. That would have pushed my price to $5500 total. Epic is hard to find anything for 5.

RCCL - Sailed on Freedom of the Seas last year for around $4800. We booked the Family Promenade and the kids loved it. You could watch the parades from your room and could people watch all the time. This room was "huge" at 308 sqft. Bunks in a setup area and a fold out couch. There was a queen bed behind the curtain for Mom and Dad. The walk-in closet was big enough to put a pack-n-play if you wanted to. Great room, but food on this trip was disappointing, but that's not your question.

If you book really far in advance (fully refundable) there are connections between balconies and interior or balconies and oceanview to be had on Freedom and Voyeager class ships.

Carnival - CCL markets their Family Oceanview as suitable for 5. I can't imagine putting 5 in there (look at the pictures posted already on this thread) and besides I don't want to be on Deck 2. I understand if that's what the budget dictates, that's what you do - perfect time to consider older ships.

Celebrity - They have a Family Balcony that looks incredible. 500+ sqft with a separate bedroom that has one twin bed. It is more expensive, but cheaper than the suites on many of the other boats. I am just not sold there will be enough kid friendly activities on this line.

HAL/Princess - Call and asked them both. Nothing holds 5 and there are not connecting rooms. The agent at Princess was trying to book me in Balcony with across the hall interior. Kids were 8,6,4. I don't think they are old enough for that.

We stayed in Celebrities Family Veranda last year and have another booked for May. They are FANTASTIC! It is two rooms seperated by a divider and a enormous veranda (especially if you get one of the corner FV) 2 rolling beds were brought in each evening and the couch turned into a bed. Plenty of room for 5 in there. The only downside was the bathroom was normal size. I would have liked for it to be a bit larger.

We did 5 in an inside cabin on Carnival Triumph two years ago. Kids were 9, 12, and 14. Our bed was pushed together, two upper bunks and a trundle on the floor in the corner for our daughter. The kids used our bed to get up and down from the bunks which actually made it easier. It was tight but not a big deal to us as we don't spend much time in the cabin and don't have to worry about napping. Bathroom was a non-issue as we never ended up with conflicts. Formal night we just had the kids get ready first and then watch tv till we were ready to go. Our 7 day cruise cost $2100 during spring break. So far thats the cheapest cruise we have taken. It was well worth the savings to us.

We have a family suite booked on NCL Dawn and it was about $5000 but we got OBC so it made it only a couple hundred dollars more then a balcony and inside room which we did not want for our first cruise.

They have a nice wall of windows (no balcony) and there is room for 6 in the suite.

• 3 weeks later...

Like... my experience with the unpleasant old guy aboard Princess who told my wife we are teaching my blind son to break rules when we sat in the front row of a show (with permission) and how he should learn to DEAL WITH IT in terms of his visual impairment.

Some people are so ignorant. I have a special needs grandson. It was suggested to my daughter that maybe she needed to give him a "good beating" when he was having a meltdown. What in the world is a "good beating"?

Some people are so ignorant. I have a special needs grandson. It was suggested to my daughter that maybe she needed to give him a "good beating" when he was having a meltdown. What in the world is a "good beating"?

I have no idea how this came about on this thread because I have not read all of the comments (but I will now).

Seriously?!!!! My goodness! That is horrible! I feel for you guys. Some people are just not very compassionate. This is why I am so protective of my son around new people. People need to get their heads checked. These are children trying to enjoy life like everyone else. People should help not hurt. I hope your future trips you don't have anymore of these experiences.

We stayed in Celebrities Family Veranda last year and have another booked for May. They are FANTASTIC! It is two rooms seperated by a divider and a enormous veranda (especially if you get one of the corner FV) 2 rolling beds were brought in each evening and the couch turned into a bed. Plenty of room for 5 in there. The only downside was the bathroom was normal size. I would have liked for it to be a bit larger.

We were on the Summit and had one of those cabins but did not have the kids with us. How did your kids like the children's program on the summit?

We were on the Summit and had one of those cabins but did not have the kids with us. How did your kids like the children's program on the summit?

They absolutely LOVED it! Here are some pictures of the room and the balcony. The balcony was the best part in my opinion. Our entire family would have breakfast every morning out there. It was AMAZING!!!

Main Room

20.jpg

Kids Room

21.jpg

Huge Veranda

10.jpg

Archived