Is it safe to drink or eat anything in Grand Cayman?

golf43

Just wondering about eating or drinking anything in Grand Cayman. This will be our first time at Grand Cayman. I have heard so much about "don't drink the water or make sure you drink canned beverages only. Whats the scoop about this part of Mexico?

Thanks

Grand Cayman is a Crown Colony of Great Britain. Very British. Everything there is a-ok, food, water, etc. It is one of the most wealthiest islands in the Caribbean. It is on line with Bermuda in its outlook, etc. Nothing like Mexico or even Jamaica. There is a lot of construction going on right now due to the horrible damage from Ivan last summer. People usually take great pride in their houses, etc. and they are having a very difficult time getting back on their feet!

June

The only hazard may be to your wallet.

Aint that the truth! I've traveled all over the world and that has to be one of the most expensive places. My brother paid $20 for a chicken dinner similar to Kentucky Fried chicken on 7 mile beach! 3 pieces of chicken, potatoes, slaw and soda!

Love the place, hate the prices!

June

• 3 weeks later...
Aint that the truth! I've traveled all over the world and that has to be one of the most expensive places. My brother paid $20 for a chicken dinner similar to Kentucky Fried chicken on 7 mile beach! 3 pieces of chicken, potatoes, slaw and soda!

Love the place, hate the prices!

June

My goodness! I can't imagine and I love chicken!!!! If you want to eat, you pay the price.

Cayman is comparatively expensive but not as bad as is being suggested. I just checked the actual cost of a 3 piece combo (chicken, fries, soda) at the KFC near the cruise terminal. It is CI$7.59. Add $1.19 for a small coleslaw and the total is CI$8.78, or US$10.71 at the normal exchange rate 0f 0.82. If you paid US cash, the rate would likely be 0.8, so the total would equate to $10.98, with no sales tax. Not cheap, but a far cry from $20.

Cayman is comparatively expensive but not as bad as is being suggested. I just checked the actual cost of a 3 piece combo (chicken, fries, soda) at the KFC near the cruise terminal. It is CI$7.59. Add $1.19 for a small coleslaw and the total is CI$8.78, or US$10.71 at the normal exchange rate 0f 0.82. If you paid US cash, the rate would likely be 0.8, so the total would equate to $10.98, with no sales tax. Not cheap, but a far cry from $20.

Honestly, whatever it costs, it's worth the money. Grand Cayman is such a nice place...the people were friendly, and we felt completely safe wandering around. You certainly can't do that on many of the islands.

We were in Vail not long ago, and paid $5 for a hotdog!

Best not to eat at Cayman -- not because food isn't good, it's just so expensive -- so fill up on breakfast & save eating til you get back to ship!!! In the past We have a small folding cooler & took it along to beach with ice from cabin & some beers we brought on cruise with us!! Don't know what we'll do when we're therer in Nov.

However, last Dec. on our cruise stop we did eat lunch up by Courtyard by Marriott, because we wanted to help contribute to local economy since IVAN left so much damage.

Honestly, whatever it costs, it's worth the money. Grand Cayman is such a nice place...the people were friendly, and we felt completely safe wandering around. You certainly can't do that on many of the islands.

We were in Vail not long ago, and paid $5 for a hotdog!

Heck, that isn't any worse than airport prices.

$10 for a hamburger or chicken or whatever is more my experience 9and the hamubgers looked big and delicious at Courtyard).

Not even close to Tokyo prices and not any worse than NYC or many other places.

They don't give it away, but location, location, location!

Heck, that isn't any worse than airport prices.

$10 for a hamburger or chicken or whatever is more my experience 9and the hamubgers looked big and delicious at Courtyard).

Not even close to Tokyo prices and not any worse than NYC or many other places.

They don't give it away, but location, location, location!

LOL...location, location, location...is so right! Haven't been to Tokyo, but having two engineers in my family, they both really want to see the airport there. :)

LOL...location, location, location...is so right! Haven't been to Tokyo, but having two engineers in my family, they both really want to see the airport there. :)

Sometimes flying into Hong Kong has been known to cause some people to have religious experiences (scary :eek:).

Just wondering about eating or drinking anything in Grand Cayman. This will be our first time at Grand Cayman. I have heard so much about "don't drink the water or make sure you drink canned beverages only. Whats the scoop about this part of Mexico?

Thanks

I vacationed in Grand Cayman about 10 years ago and came home with Salmonella poisoning. Of all the things I ate while there including conch, BBQ chicken at the beach, and meals at several local establishments, the thing that got me was French Toast from a beach hotel breakfast buffet. It wasn't fully cooked and the raw eggs were contaminated.

I would not hesitate to eat the food there, but I would refrain from eating food that is not fully cooked.

Archived