Shore Excursions

kimbacat16

Has anyone bought shore excursions online instead of buying thru Celebrity ? We are going to the following places: Cartagena Columbia, Colon Panama, Puerto Quetzel Guatamala, and Puertoareanas Costa Rica. Any info greatly appreciated.

Many of us arrange private tours instead of taking Celebrity excursions. The center for this on a cruise is your roll call where you will find others who have already set something up and are looking for folks to join them...or where you can meet folks who want to do what you want to do, etc.

I can recommend "mr Emerald" (Lee Miles) in Cartagena...and JJ tours in Costa Rica. We've used both twice. Check trip advisor and the ports of call forum here on CCc as well.

A few years ago, I paid about $80 each through the ship for the 4 of us to go on a snorkel trip; it was a nice trip. When we were at dinner, our table mates told us that they walked off the boat, hooked up with a local vendor, and for $60 they went snorkeling at the same place we did, had 2 hours on a beach, and got an island tour. They got a much better deal.

Since then, I haven't booked an excursion through the ship. As some other posters stated, do your research on CC, then I suggest cross referencing with trip-advisor. I prefer booking myself as more of the money goes to the local economy (cruise lines take 40%).

I've had people tell me that they don't want to risk not booking through the ship because there are no guarantees that you will make it back on time, but if that were the case, they would get slimed on here and on tripadvisor.

At Antigua, you could pay $35 pp through the ship to go sit on a beach. I paid maybe $30 or $40 in cab fare to go to a much less crowded beach, and we had a great time.

I vote do your research and book yourself.

Has anyone bought shore excursions online instead of buying thru Celebrity ? We are going to the following places: Cartagena Columbia, Colon Panama, Puerto Quetzel Guatamala, and Puertoareanas Costa Rica. Any info greatly appreciated.

Out of two cruises with a total of 13 ports I have only booked through Celebrity in one port. That was in Belize because it was a tender port and an all day excursion.

In Cartagena I whole heartedly recommend Claudia. In Costa Rica have to second JJ Tours. He is amazing. In Panama we went on a tour through the Locks and to a guy's houseboat for the day. http://www.jungleandpanama.com

Haven't been to Guatemala so no suggestions there.

My only suggestion is to ensure that ANY private tour you book has an arrival time back at the pier 90 minutes to 2 hours prior to ship departure to ensure you don't cut it too close.

Archived