May 1--Rome. Any suggestions?

CathyCruises

It appears that many touristy sites will be closed. I am thinking this may be an opportunity to do something unusual. Anyone with any experience being in Rome on May Day? This is not a port stop, it's post cruise so we have all day. Nothing wrong with meandering and eating gelato, I just don't want to miss anything special!

There's the annual Primo Maggio concert at Piazza San Giovanni Laterano. The website hasn't been updated yet for 2013, but you can get a sense of what it's like: http://www.primomaggio.com/

I heard about this! Someone on our roll call posted. It looks like a zoo--the fun kind! Have you been?

We were in Rome on May 1, 2010. It was part of a half month stay so it didnt affect our plans. The main thing I remember is that the buses only operated part of the day. The subways kept regular hours.

I visited that church April 1 and saw them setting up for the huge concert the next day.

visit torre argentina (a short distance from the pantheon), see the ruins and visit the cat sanctuary.

Yes, that was already on my list!!! We will be staying in the neighorhood so this will be a easy stop. Thanks for reminding me!

If you have not been to Rome before the Hop-on, Hop-off bus is a good choice to travel around the city and get a better idea of where you want to visit other days. Depending on the marches, you may find it does not do the Coliseum loop in the morning but it was included in the afternoon when we did it. There are still many things to get off and visit. We found it was a great use of the day.

If you have not been to Rome before the Hop-on, Hop-off bus is a good choice to travel around the city and get a better idea of where you want to visit other days. Depending on the marches, you may find it does not do the Coliseum loop in the morning but it was included in the afternoon when we did it. There are still many things to get off and visit. We found it was a great use of the day.

Thanks--been to Rome quite a few times. So this trip will be revisiting old favorites and hitting a few places we've missed in other trips. We're really looking forward to staying in the centro storico and just meandering and soaking up the atmosphere. Oh, and gelato. ;)

Archived