Question for Celebrity cruisers that have disembarked in Harwich

Soccer Mom 96

Hi!

I am looking for information on disembarking in Harwich. First of all, does Celebrity offer the "self-assist" early disembarkation in Harwich? I know it is available here in the states but have never cruised Europed before. We are US citizens that plan on heading straight to the airport for our flight home...what kind of customs/immigration will we have to go through in Harwich? Celebrity recommends flights out no earlier than 1:00pm and we are looking at booking a 12:50pm. I know there could be traffic issues if we don't take the train since our travel day is a Monday.

Any information from those that have disembarked in Harwich on Celebrity would be great!

Thanks!

SoccerMom

We did this a couple of summers ago.. Found that it was just easier and less hassle to take Celebrity's transfer from the ship to the airport. At the time, the cost was pretty reasonable.

Enjoy your cruise!

I have only disembarked from Harwich once and is was not the best experience I have ever had. The car parking at Harwich is a bit away from the ship and so everyone got shuttled which took time. The whole process was pretty slow.

They do the self disembark at Southampton so I would imagine that it will be available in Harwich but someone may be able to confirm for certain.

On that occasion there was no customs officers (visible) though they would no doubt quietly pull anyone they wanted to speak to or check.

Uk customs is a lot less formal than in other countries as they tend to target people based on intelligence gathered so it can feel like a very light touch for visitors coming into the country. Security is just as tight but just a lot more subtle and less time consuming.

Have a wonderful trip.

I would not advise the train if you have to catch a flight. You will have to change and get from one station to another.

Either take a private car or use the ship's transfer.

You have to check in before 11.00am - if there is any delay you won't make it as Harwich is not the most accessible or easiest for road travel.

I would 'phone Celebrity and try to get some information from them as to the times of their transfers.

Sorry, but Harwich is not my favourite port due to its inaccessibility.

I agree with some of the others. Harwich is one of those cruise ports where we decided to pay for the ships transfer. We were on the bus and on our way by 8:15AM. As I recall we also had a flight leaving about 12:50PM. We were at the airport and stuck in their huge departure lounge with lots of spare time. I really hate that. You sit with thousands of travelers waiting for your gate assignment to be announced. Then it's mad dash to the gate for some reason.

Archived