Just off Oasis with 1.5yr old

arom729

Hi all, thought I would do a quick review of our Feb. 16, 2013 sailing on Oasis of the Seas. It was me, DH, my parents, and DD who is 20 months old. She is a very able walker/runner, but isn't a huge fan of water.

Besides almost forgetting the un-tagged stroller with our pile of luggage during embarkation, getting on board was a breeze. The elevator we took because of the stroller let us out right at the entrance to board. We were told to just go right on--there was no line at the time but a line of people were coming from the sitting area behind us.

We had an inside cabin on Deck 8, which is where Central Park is located. Our bed was at the far end facing the door, which worked out well. We had a couch, too, and needed a port-a-crib. It was not in our room when we got in, but arrived shortly when our stateroom attendant stopped by. We sent the end table with her, so we could push the couch all the way next to the foot of the bed. The crib then fit really well between the sofa and closet with room left to get into the closet.

We did not bring an inflatable tub. The shower head was hand held, so DD just stood and we showered her quickly. She didn't like it, but we didn't want to spend time on long baths, anyway. This was quick and easy.

The first night we ate outside at Giovanni's Table at 6:00pm. No one else came to eat outside while we were there. We were not charged for her.

We used the main dining room every other night except for one. She did fine each night. The staff brought her fruit immediately and her meal always came out pretty early, too. We brought the iPad and definitely used it each night. She also colored during dinner. The staff was so accommodating and wonderful.

DD loved Central Park. We did, too. We took advantage of being on the same deck and often grabbed breakfast from Park Cafe.

We did not do much of the Dreamworks stuff. DD doesn't know who the characters are and we always seemed to miss the parades. We did reserve the character breakfast, though. DD didn't cry but didn't warm up to the characters as they came to our table, either. But, each character (Puss in Boots, Princess Fiona, and Shrek) came to each table to "chat" and pose for pictures. The breakfast fare had a special chocolate twist, too, which was cute.

The Carousel was the biggest hit of the cruise. DD adored the thing and we rode it multiple times each day. DD also liked the toddler mini golf section, though we only went to it the first sea day.

The splash area was not DD's cup of tea. We visited during the port day to Jamaica when no one was there. She didn't really want to play in it, but enjoyed climbing in and out. The next day when I walked past it was SO packed with people, that I wouldn't even have wanted to take DD inside. Lots of bigger kids.

Labadee was cancelled, so no review there.

We went to Nachi Cocom in Cozumel. We've been there before, and don't think it'd be too fun for older kids, but it worked fine for DD. She napped in a hammock.

We used the Fisher Price playroom and DD loved the toys. Very nice. We also went to 2 play dates and the staff were engaging. Once it was just DD and the staff member. We also used Royal Babies and Tots Nursery on 3 occasions. Twice at night; once during the day. There were at least 2 staff in the nursery, even when it was just DD and 1 other child. DD seemed to be having fun when we picked up the two times she wasn't asleep.

DD handled the shows well, too, though there is no way she could have sat through the 90min Hairspray. She managed about 30 minutes before DH had to take her out--which was fine by him. He brought her back at the end and she liked You Can't Stop the Beat.

My parents were able to get a port-a-crib in their cabin, as well, which worked out really nicely. They kept her overnight once, and babysat for one other night plus a naptime. One day, DH and I hung on the balcony in their room while DD napped, and that was nice, too.

This turned out to be not-so-quick, but I think I hit the highlights. If you have questions, I'll try to answer!

I forgot to talk about milk.

They had Vitamin D (whole) milk readily available on board. At all times during the day, Park Cafe and Cafe Promenade had big chilled carafes of "regular" milk available (next to self-serve coffee). At breakfast, they had cartons out. At dinner, our servers brought us cartons upon request.

We had our mini fridge cleared by our attendant, and we brought cups or cartons to the room each day. The fridge was super cold, but kept the milk fresh enough.

I would not bother with bringing shelf stable milk onboard this ship.

You said about "bigger kids" being in the splash zone? You mean the "Baby Splash Zone"????? Were they potty trained kids? Usually the deck patrol is pretty good (on the other ships with the infant splash zone) about throwing out children who ARE potty trained out of the infant splash zone. I am wondering where was the deck patrol on your cruise? :(

This was really helpful as we're on Oasis with our 17 month old twins next month.

We're a bit worried about the nursery. We'd love to use it but the one time we tried to use a nursery one of the twins screamed the place down and they called us to come get him. When you used it during the evening, do they put them to sleep or is it just too loud and light for that? Mine are in such a routine that I don't know if they can cope staying up later, although of course we're from the UK so the time difference could mean they're awake all night anyway which weird;ly may be good for us!

With the milk, did your DD drink it cold straight from the fridge? I'm debating bringing formula just so I don't have to worry too much about the milk! They only have a bottle at night and in the morning first thing now.

With the excursion you did - would you recommend it? We haven't booked any excursions as we're just not sure what would work for them at this age!

Sorry for all the questions!

This was really helpful as we're on Oasis with our 17 month old twins next month.

We're a bit worried about the nursery. We'd love to use it but the one time we tried to use a nursery one of the twins screamed the place down and they called us to come get him. When you used it during the evening, do they put them to sleep or is it just too loud and light for that? Mine are in such a routine that I don't know if they can cope staying up later, although of course we're from the UK so the time difference could mean they're awake all night anyway which weird;ly may be good for us!

With the milk, did your DD drink it cold straight from the fridge? I'm debating bringing formula just so I don't have to worry too much about the milk! They only have a bottle at night and in the morning first thing now.

With the excursion you did - would you recommend it? We haven't booked any excursions as we're just not sure what would work for them at this age!

Sorry for all the questions!

The nursery has an area with several cribs (six maybe?) and the lights over in that area can be completely off. My DD didn't go to sleep, but not for lack of trying. :) One night they put her in a stroller so they could "rock" her to sleep. It wasn't loud at all. But on our cruise it wasn't busy and there were only two little ones in the nursery total. Oh, and they changed DD into PJs for us. If you took your twins in ready for bed, maybe you could just lay them straight down and hope they just sleep?

My DD did drink it cold from the fridge, but the fridge wasn't icy cold like it is at home. We do normally take the chill off her milk at home, but she had no problem drinking the milk on the cruise. I'm sure you're twins would adjust quite quickly! We don't give her juice on a daily/regular basis, but we did give her the flavored water a couple of times. She loved kiwi strawberry (they had several flavors on the buffets).

I definitely recommend on our beach excursion, but it isn't booked through the ship. I also recommend going to the port of call forums on here and asking around, as well. It's all about your comfort level! The beach we go to is just a beach (not pristine sand, either, but a nice beach), loungers with lots of shade (palm trees and palapas), a pool & hot tub with cushioned loungers around it, a large covered dining area, a bar, gift shop, and clean restrooms. No activities are included. Just food and drink. Children under 2 or 3 are free!

Archived