Formal wear for 14 yr old boy?

PoohQ

My family and I will be cruising Alaska this summer on the Diamond. We have Traditional Dining. On formal nights, DH and older DS will be wearing suit jackets & ties with their dress pants, but younger DS HATES to dress up. Will he be allowed into the dining room on formal nights if he is wearing just a dress shirt and dress pants, with NO jacket (and no tie, either, if he has his way!)?

I know, I know, formal night means dressing up, but my 14 year old really doesn't want to have to wear a jacket (or tie!), and I wouldn't want to have to eat without him if he is denied entry into the dining room!

TIA!

In my opinion, he will be just fine, especially since the whole of your group will be dressed up. If you are really concerned, just have him wear a jacket into the dining room, and then as soon as you are seated, he can take it off and put it on his chair.

When my DH and I first started cruising, I "made" him wear a tux...

But the majority of men were NOT that dressed up!

So is he a 14 year old that looks like a man or still a young teen? If you have an extra jacket at home bring it along...but he will be fine in a long sleve dress shirt no tie. :)

Well, I don't think he looks like a man yet. :rolleyes: He is a little tallerthan I am, but I think he looks like he's 14!

If I don't need to pack it, I'd really rather not have to take a jacket for him if he's not going to wear it -- the garment bag and suitcases will already be stuffed to the gills!

Also, does it have to be a long-sleeved dress shirt, or would a short-sleeved one suffice?

When we went to Alaska in August it was rather chilly...so I would say long sleve just because of the climate...sometimes it can be cold in that dining room.

My 2 older sons looked like men at 14 so sometimes people expect more, you know how that goes thats why I asked the Question:)

When we went to Alaska in August it was rather chilly...so I would say long sleve just because of the climate...sometimes it can be cold in that dining room.

My 2 older sons looked like men at 14 so sometimes people expect more, you know how that goes thats why I asked the Question:)

Yes, I've heard that it can be pretty chilly in Alaska, and that we should "dress in layers". However, I wonder if I'll be able to pack enough in the suitcases to include all of the clothes needed for layering! I guess you never can tell what the weather's going to be like in Alaska.....

Pooh, your son might not appreciate it now, but it's not a bad thing to expose him to situations where he *has* to dress up!

We are sailing on a 10 day British Isles cruise this summer, and both of our sons (ages 14 & 7) will wear jackets and ties on the formal nights! Believe me, this is not attire they are used to....the last time my 14 year old wore a tie was when he was confirmed in our church last fall! :)

From my perspective, one of the things I like about cruising is that it exposes my kids to new experiences -- and dining in "fancy restaurants" is a new experience for my boys!

Cricket

Archived