OMG Hot Air Balloon Crash In Luxor

Terrible, but according to someone on Radio Five who was injured in an accident there last year, the safety is very suspect. Their balloon crashed in a ravine and the pilot just ran off! She said she was not surprised about the accident and after what had happened to her, she would never recommend people to go on these balloons.

Neverless, my thoughts go out to the families affected.

Tragic.

There was an industry expert on BBC Radio Scotland this morning who had been instructing and advising out there for the last 5 years. He said there was strong commercial rivalry between balloning companies, and that there were concerns about regulation by the local authorities.

I just hope those injured are covered by their travel inssurance - I doubt it's something a normal policy would include.

Terrible news. In the 'I' paper a statement has been released by Kuoni - just stating the facts of passenger numbers and nationality so it seems it may have been a tour through them - but I guess all tour companies use the same balloons.
Thomas Cook have said that two of their customers have died.

Archived