Do US Customs allow food to be taken onto ships?

cruiseryder

I hope someone may have experience of this or can advise where I might find an answer. Apologies for it being a little long winded.

I am very allergic to cow dairy products and at home use goat products. I travelled on Silver Wind out of Capetown last year and they more than supplied me with goat milk,butter and yoghourt and catering wise looked after my dietary requriements exemplary. I will be joining Silver Spirit 4 March and have been advised that Silversea cannot supply goat dairy products but will have soya products but no yoghourt. Having visited Los Angeles a number of times I know where I can buy the yoghourt which I am happy to do and take on board (which Silversea have OK'd), but despite trying to contact the US Embassy in London am unable to find out if there is any Custom regulation to stop me taking this food out of the US.

Anyone had any similar experiences? Time is running out now.

If you are buying the yogurt in LA, I see no problem with you taking it onboard with you and out of the US. I don't think they would even look or care. They care more about foods coming INTO the US (unprocessed cheeses, Iberica ham, etc).

I'm a little unclear on your question, Cruiseryder. It appears you asked Silversea if you can bring the food items on the ship when you board, and that they said yes, you can. Is your question about keeping the food onboard, throughout the cruise, as the ship stops in other countries? That wouldn't be a problem, since the food is staying on the ship. Bring whatever you need, and enjoy it.

Or are you asking if you can bring the food ashore when you get off the ship in non-U.S. ports during the cruise? This can, technically, be disallowed if the country in question forbids it (some have laws to prevent insect infestation and disease from non-native foods). But as far as "Customs" during the cruise is concerned, each port's Immigration process is normally just a quick sign-off on paperwork between Silversea and the local port official; the passengers aren't involved at all.

Are you asking if you can take some of the leftover food with you when you and your luggage disembark in Florida and go through Customs there? Technically, no food is allowed in. Some Customs inspections are tighter than others, but just know that that's the law.

Since time is short, I'd suggest another conversation with Silversea to clear up your questions and put your mind at ease. Good for you, for finding a Los Angeles source for your yogurt. You'll be fine with keeping it onboard throughout the cruise (and your butler can see to refrigeration for whatever doesn't fit in your suite's small refrigerator).

Here's to a most enjoyable voyage!

Yes, Mr. Luxury, that occurred to me too. Goat-based items are quite standard for many people with special dietary needs, or just preferred by those who enjoy it. I'd assume Silversea could arrange a special order, as long as they have sufficient lead time (2 or 3 months?).

Goat milk, cheese and yogurt are readily available in Tulsa, so I am sure they are in LA as well. I wonder if this is part of Silversea's "you eat only what is contracted with our provisioners" plan, like the running out of berries and not having fresh local fish reported earlier.

It sounds to me like you have had a clueless SS person deal with your request. I find it inconceivable that SS won't help with this and suggest your request is remade with the request it is escalated to someone competent. At the same time perhaps some generous CC'er who is currently on-board might agree to ask the hotel manager if this new policy of rejecting reasonable low-inconvenience dietary requests is a new policy.

Good luck.

A few years ago, the Executive Chef gave a terrific talk on the Galley and food supply. One thing that stood out was that Silversea only takes on provisions (and water) in certain ports, those they can absolutely rely on for food quality and sanitation. The Thanksgiving and Christmas turkeys were already in the freezer, many weeks before they'd be used.

So I can see where they might need a certain amount of time to handle a special request. Or there could be a problem if a regular delivery wasn't made. But I can't see why something that was a standard item a year ago can't be special ordered for a dietary need that many people face. Thankfully, Cruiseryder contacted Silversea and didn't simply assume that this product would be available, as it was last year.

It sounds like an interesting talk .... but I am sceptical of the conclusion that there might be any ports that SS visit that cannot supply to exacting standards. They all use to. I don't wish to cast any nasturtiums but it sounds like a rather poor justification for the refocus of central purchasing and supply and removal of elements of his job - rather than a statement of any credible impediment for sourcing fresh fish, seafood and berries for example.

If they are moving more towards central control and withdrawing Chef discretion and skill, then I wish they would go the whole hog and focus on centralised sous-vide and chill/freeze for a high percentage of the cuisine. That would improve things exponentially.

Many thanks to all for your advise and comments.

Thanks to Silversea UKRes for their persistence in contacting the US Embassy in London on my behalf it has been confirmed there is not a problem with my puchasing a goat milk product in Los Angeles and taking it onto Silver Spirit for use whilst onboard.

As a number of you were interested below this is how this question arose.

I did advise Silversea on the on line Customer Info form in October, on 7Nov I contacted ResUK and advised them and told them how well I had been looked after on Silver Wind, they in turn passed this onto Special Services from where I believe it ended up with Purchasing. Reminders were sent in December and then 6 weeks before departure. A reply was sent to me, a couple of weeks ago, regreting that the suppliers in Los Angeles were unable to provide the products but soy was available. I advised of 2 producers of goats products in California and the retail outlets I knew.

The response was that they could purchase these on my behalf through another supplier at a cost to me of $185. I have to say I was a little dumbfounded at being asked to pay (I wondered if I was buying for the ship). Rightly or wrongly , but on principle, I declined as I can buy enough yoghourt for 2 weeks for my use for around £20 - $25. Purchasing Dept confirmed I could carry these onto the ship but that I had to clarify the Custom situation myself. Through all this ResUK have been most helpful and sympathetic. I must say I feel a little ‘let down’ as Silversea will seem to go to any length to get special , possibly expensive liquor for clients and also the request was made not for a port in a developing country but in California. However , I would rather move on , take my own stuff and enjoy a great cruise.

I did advise Silversea on the on line Customer Info form in October, on 7Nov I contacted ResUK and advised them and told them how well I had been looked after on Silver Wind, they in turn passed this onto Special Services from where I believe it ended up with Purchasing. Reminders were sent in December and then 6 weeks before departure. A reply was sent to me, a couple of weeks ago, regreting that the suppliers in Los Angeles were unable to provide the products but soy was available. I advised of 2 producers of goats products in California and the retail outlets I knew.

The response was that they could purchase these on my behalf through another supplier at a cost to me of $185. I have to say I was a little dumbfounded at being asked to pay (I wondered if I was buying for the ship). Rightly or wrongly , but on principle, I declined as I can buy enough yoghourt for 2 weeks for my use for around £20 - $25. Purchasing Dept confirmed I could carry these onto the ship but that I had to clarify the Custom situation myself. Through all this ResUK have been most helpful and sympathetic. I must say I feel a little ‘let down’ as Silversea will seem to go to any length to get special , possibly expensive liquor for clients and also the request was made not for a port in a developing country but in California. However , I would rather move on , take my own stuff and enjoy a great cruise.

Sorry to hear of your issues with SS. Your feedback is illuminating.

Thankfully, from your point of view, you persevered and didn't presume all was sorted - which would have been quite an issue for your cruise. It's dissapointing that both you weren't treated both responsively or that they offered to provision it for free particularly as you say .... if you had requested Johny Walker Blue Label (as served in BA First on your outward leg ;)!) that retails at around £135 per bottle - they'd probably have supplied it.

A stoic epicurean in the true British heritage. Onward and upwards ..... and enjoy your cruise. :)

If I may suggest.. after you return back home, your travel agent (if you are using one) might have a conversation with the UK representative to ask that Silversea review this new policy for the future. Your needs were simple and should have been met without any fuss.

• 5 months later...
.... if you had requested Johny Walker Blue Label (as served in BA First on your outward leg ;)!) that retails at around £135 per bottle - they'd probably have supplied it.

No cruiseline, to my knowledge, offers JW Blue on their AI list, nor would they provide it gratis even if yourself requested it. When last on SS it was $20/shot ($16 on Crystal) both considerably below bar prices in the U. S.

Generally speaking, US Customs isn't involved in departures from the United States on a face-to-face basis. Case in point: People leaving by air...there are no face-to-face checks made by the US government upon departure. Domestic travelers and international travelers are treated the same.

When I boarded a ship in Ft. Lauderdale in July it was the same...no face-to-face governmental check.

You should be be fine.

A few years ago, the Executive Chef gave a terrific talk on the Galley and food supply. One thing that stood out was that Silversea only takes on provisions (and water) in certain ports, those they can absolutely rely on for food quality and sanitation. The Thanksgiving and Christmas turkeys were already in the freezer, many weeks before they'd be used.

So I can see where they might need a certain amount of time to handle a special request. Or there could be a problem if a regular delivery wasn't made. But I can't see why something that was a standard item a year ago can't be special ordered for a dietary need that many people face. Thankfully, Cruiseryder contacted Silversea and didn't simply assume that this product would be available, as it was last year.

And in those select ports, they load so much food they have to store it in crew quarters. ;)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I am skeptical of the conclusion that there might be any ports that SS visit that cannot supply to exacting standards. They all use to.

I am not at all skeptical. There are a number of Third World ports where travelers are routinely cautioned about impure water and contaminated foods. I think it would only be prudent of cruise lines to avoid taking on food in ports where I bring my own food and bottled water ashore. And I never had any problems in getting them through foreign customs.

I am not at all skeptical. ... And I never had any problems in getting them through foreign customs.

Taking them onto or off of the ship? In many places there are many foods which are banned from importing- fruits, meats, etc. Many of these items can lead to ecological devastation depending on where you are. And although you might be able to get them through customs, if declared they would be confiscated and tossed.

It sounds like an interesting talk .... but I am sceptical of the conclusion that there might be any ports that SS visit that cannot supply to exacting standards.

Although not nearly as well travelled as you and other Brits, I do know you are incorrect on this point. There are many ports where acceptable food is not available, at least to western standards. The PG once took on a promised load of live lobsters that had to be destroyed because of parasites. The exec. Chef carefully examined the load on the dock. We were onboard. Similarily, raw fruits, grains, meat and vegatables can present similiar problems. Even locally bottled goods can be suspect; our son ended up in a hospital from drinking a beer, from a bottle he had opened himself. The bacteria had insinuated themselves under the bottletop.

Taking them onto or off of the ship? In many places there are many foods which are banned from importing- fruits, meats, etc. Many of these items can lead to ecological devastation depending on where you are. And although you might be able to get them through customs, if declared they would be confiscated and tossed.

I only take off the ship items that I know are acceptable, such as bottled water, and packaged Granola bars. I would not try to enter a country with raw fruit or vegetables, or uncooked meat. I have brought trail mix with me, and I realize now that the dried fruit in the trail mix may be a violation of my raw fruit rule.

I only take off the ship items that I know are acceptable, such as bottled water, and packaged Granola bars. I would not try to enter a country with raw fruit or vegetables, or uncooked meat. I have brought trail mix with me, and I realize now that the dried fruit in the trail mix may be a violation of my raw fruit rule.

Nuts in trail mix would be forbidden in some countries as well. My husband had peanut M and M's which customs tried to confiscate when we entered Chile. So he stood there and ate them!

In many places there are many foods which are banned from importing- fruits, meats, etc.

Nuts in trail mix would be forbidden in some countries as well.

That ends my taking trail mix ashore. Thank you 5waldos and RachelG for making me think about my travel practices. I learn a lot from Cruise Critic.

Archived