Locking luggage?

CruzAllNight

So on Carnivals website they say that your luggage should be locked before checking it into the ship?

This is quite unusual, as airlines say you should NOT lock your luggage.

So what is it, and if so, what if I don't have a lock, will they refuse my luggage?

You're right on both counts. The TSA doesn't want you to lock your bags unless you use TSA-approved locks. Otherwise, if they have to, they will break your locks in order to inspect them. This only applies to flights.

On the other hand, cruise ships do not have the same restriction. You should lock your bags. They will be x-rayed and if the ship's personnel suspect something, they will hold your bag and ask that you come to pick it up in person. At that time, you'll be able to unlock it for them to inspect it. If your bags don't have locks, and you're comfortable with that, don't worry about it. They will not refuse unlocked bags. Their suggestion of using the locks is just for your benefit.

Cruz - Yes, Carnival advises that you lock your luggage before leaving it with the porters at the dock. Those guys are not Carnival employees, but are employed by the port authority. Best to lock them, as Carnival will not be responsible.;) (If you don't have any luggage locks, you could use cable ties - or WalMart has the luggage lock and key sets for about $1.29.) They also advise that you lock your luggage when you put it out in the hall the last evening of the cruise....same reason.

If you'll go back to "Ask a Cruise Question" forum, I replied to your tipping post, and I think it'll help you understand the procedure better, ok?:)

Hey most luggage can be unlocked by a key from the same luggage company. My mom lent us her Samsonite luggage and we had a piece I gave my husband for our wedding in 1978. She couldn't find her key, but his key fit her luggage. So no big deal, any number of keys will open any number of pieces of luggage. It's not safe no matter what.

Hey, thanks for all the help. I'll drop by my dollar store and pick up a few locks

Dont, They need to be TSA Approved locks, if you get the ones from the Dollar Store, They will be cut at the airport.

Geez, Wennfred, that isn't what he was asking. He knows the airlines say not to lock luggage. He's concerned about the cruiseline, and they say to lock it. We're talking two separate entities here.:rolleyes:

Geez, Wennfred, that isn't what he was asking. He knows the airlines say not to lock luggage. He's concerned about the cruiseline, and they say to lock it. We're talking two separate entities here.:rolleyes:

Cotton, I have a habit of reading down to the last Thread first :eek: hehe

Just came back from Celebrity and I asked a couple of people before turning my luggage in. We had locked everything (haven't travelled too much after 9/11) thinking "well of course we should lock, but two employees told us that we should not lock because they may cut, so we stopped and unlock before turning the luggage over. Can't say about other cruiselines, but would wonder why some allow and some don't.

Archived