Unlocking balcony divider "How to"

dvdkndy

We are cruising on the dream and have some friends who are going to be staying next door to us. We are going to have the steward open the divider between the two rooms on the first day. My question is this, should the wife and I wish to "rendezvous" on the balcony, :eek: is there a way to close the door myself if I bring the proper tools of the trade along? Last time I was on the Destiny, it seemed that it was simply a hex key that was needed. If it really is a specially made key or something like that no big deal. We will just leave the sock the door. :D

Any insider help on this would be greatly appreciated! :)

We are cruising on the dream and have some friends who are going to be staying next door to us. We are going to have the steward open the divider between the two rooms on the first day. My question is this, should the wife and I wish to "rendezvous" on the balcony, :eek: is there a way to close the door myself if I bring the proper tools of the trade along? Last time I was on the Destiny, it seemed that it was simply a hex key that was needed. If it really is a specially made key or something like that no big deal. We will just leave the sock the door. :D

you are aware that there are exterior cameras on the ship..whether they can see on your balcony is something else. On some of the ships stewards have been told not to open the dividers as the effect how it handles fire...

To actually answer the question posed, I have seen the key and it looks to me to be a standard hex bolt size (actually looks like a roller skate key if you remember them) It may very well be a metric size though since the ships are made in Italy. So if you do bring a wrench, you may want to bring both types.

Just be sure to secure the door properly when you open it back up so it is not swinging in the wind. (Pay attention to how the steward does it the first time.

I bet you could just prop it shut with one if the chairs until you are done. But as one person already said, there are cameras and they WILL see you. I have heard stories from some officers aboard ships to that tune. Not something I would be brave enough to do, but have at it knowing "you are not alone" :D

1/4 drive extension with a T handle does the trick. We had 3 balconies on the Freedom last year. The aft most one, when you opened the divider, it covered the door. Steward opened them all up and at night we secured that one. Chair does not work as the door will still swing when the ship "rocks".

Are you in a cove balcony or regular balcony? If a regular balcony, people can see your balcony from deck 5...EM

We are on deck 7 all the way in the back of the ship in one of the "L" shaped cabins. Not too worried about deck 5 as we are far enough in the back the lanai isn't extended like in the middle of the ship.

For those talking about the cameras, if they can see the balconies with the cameras, this wouldn't be the first time they caught us on tape! I can just see the security guy sitting at the desk now. "Hey Ketut, looks like Dave has learned some new moves since last time he was on board!" :D

If you have a balcony, it is a must that you join the "balcony club". It is one of those unwritten cruise rules like "no going al naturale under your bathrobe on the lido."

We had three opened past Nov. on the Miracle. We had to go to guest sevices with a person from each cabin with their S&S card the steward could not open them. They only allow a certin # to be opened on each deck [so we were told] then they send a blue coat[Mechanic] to put a clamp on the railing to hold the door open. We were on port side aft. Aft balconies may be different. PS [edit] On the Triumph the steward opened them. Go figure. The cam's are mounted under the bridge [the part that sticks out] and point down the side of the ship.

Yes there are cameras all around and yes they can see on the balconies

Big Brother is watching

Pretty sure most of the video recorded, does not get looked at unless they need to

Like every other security system

I personally would not be fooling with the door - if you happen not to latch back properly and there is rocking and rolling (from waves - keep it clean) or it is really windy and the door dislodges you could be responsible for damages or God forbid it closes on a person. I would leave well enough alone. Done the balcony thing and other than being able to brag about it, it is not worth the risk,

:: la la la I can't hear you!:: Great! You and I are on the same sailing.

Come join our roll call for our cruise! Now that's really rocking! LOL!

Archived