Herod didn't respond and Spencer Ambrose gets mixed review...now what?

Bluewake

Do you have Herod's email address? I've already done the "contact us" twice on his website for information on booking for our January 2014 cruise and I have yet to hear back from him. He was referred from a friend plus his prices are $20 cheaper then Spence Ambrose so with a family of 5, thats a good savings.

Hi- I'm sorry but just last week I finally cleared my inbox and sent box which both included the contact details I used for Herod. I do remember, however, that I didn't make the initial contact via his website but found an email address on one of the reviews with Trip Advisor and I went down that route. I would have booked around August 2012 for our tour on 22 December 2012. I can't comment on the other operators but we were really impressed with our tour and believe it cost US$80 each, that was the 'land and sea' tour - the speed boat trip back to our ship was great and took away the worry of being caught up in a traffic jam. Lunch at his mum's was on the itinerary but she had to go into hospital so we ended up with lunch at a 'cousin's' - there was an american lady with us who had been on the trip previously (with Herod) and enthused about the lunch at mum's so I guess we were just unlucky that day. Keep trying it is certainly worth it.

Do you have Herod's email address? I've already done the "contact us" twice on his website for information on booking for our January 2014 cruise and I have yet to hear back from him. He was referred from a friend plus his prices are $20 cheaper then Spence Ambrose so with a family of 5, thats a good savings.

I also tried the 'contact us' page three times and did not hear back from Herod's. There is an email address on his 'about us' tab and I will try that next. Hopefully this will work.

herod tours @ gmail . com (no spaces)

Edited by sixb0nes
typo

I also tried the 'contact us' page three times and did not hear back from Herod's. There is an email address on his 'about us' tab and I will try that next. Hopefully this will work.

try sluherod@gmail(dot)com

we used him and he can be rather slow to get back to you-just keep sending and I also marked mine as "high priority" when I sent them

here is part of an email he sent me closer to cruise time with his phone numbers - - - ..My mobile nos are 758-716-6540 and 758-286-1282. - don't know how much it costs to call St Lucia though

Edited by jasminelee

try sluherod@gmail(dot)com

we used him and he can be rather slow to get back to you-just keep sending and I also marked mine as "high priority" when I sent them

here is part of an email he sent me closer to cruise time with his phone numbers - - - ..My mobile nos are 758-716-6540 and 758-286-1282. - don't know how much it costs to call St Lucia though

The friend who referred me to Herods did have the herod tours @ gmail.com address too. I did email him and he ended up calling me. He said his reply kept getting kicked back to him. I gave him another email address and this was his reply:

I need a minimum of 12 adults for this tour and have no one booked yet. The cost is US$65 pp (adult) and kids from 5 - 10 yrs pay US$35 each. No deposit is needed. You pay in cash at the end of the tour. You need to notify me via email or telephone at least two days before the tour date if you wish to cancel or won't show up. That way I will not have to go through the expenses of boat, food and drinks. You get lunch on the beach at jalousie and drinks throughout the tour. You could bring your snorkeling gears or they could be rented on the beach.

You can also round up more people from your cruise roll call or boards. Thank you.

Herod

Right now I'm 6 people, can be 9 if others decide to join us. I haven't posted on my roll call yet but will give it a try. I'm just not sure yet with 5 points, which ones I'll be doing excursions at. I have a definate booked in Barbados and looking at this for St. Lucia and one in St. Marteen. That will leave me beach and shopping for St. Kitts and St. Thomas.

5 ports, 5 people can be expensive so I need to pick my excursions carefully.

Edited by girlscruise2011

we did his Island Splendor Cruise in December. I posted it on our roll call and ended up with 9 total.

I talked to him right before we were to fly into San Juan and told him how many I had and that I would try to get more, but wasn't sure.

He took us anyway, even tho we didn't have he minimum and we had an awesome time.

That said, I think we were the only ship in ST Lucia that day, so I guess if it were a busy port day, he may not be so willing to accommodate a smaller number. He also may be able to pick up some at the port looking for a tour, to meet the minimum. I know there a lot of tour operators in most of the ports, and a lot of people just walked up and joined a group. I like to have my plans already made, though.

The friend who referred me to Herods did have the herod tours @ gmail.com address too. I did email him and he ended up calling me. He said his reply kept getting kicked back to him. I gave him another email address and this was his reply:

I need a minimum of 12 adults for this tour and have no one booked yet. The cost is US$65 pp (adult) and kids from 5 - 10 yrs pay US$35 each. No deposit is needed. You pay in cash at the end of the tour. You need to notify me via email or telephone at least two days before the tour date if you wish to cancel or won't show up. That way I will not have to go through the expenses of boat, food and drinks. You get lunch on the beach at jalousie and drinks throughout the tour. You could bring your snorkeling gears or they could be rented on the beach.

You can also round up more people from your cruise roll call or boards. Thank you.

Herod

Right now I'm 6 people, can be 9 if others decide to join us. I haven't posted on my roll call yet but will give it a try. I'm just not sure yet with 5 points, which ones I'll be doing excursions at. I have a definate booked in Barbados and looking at this for St. Lucia and one in St. Marteen. That will leave me beach and shopping for St. Kitts and St. Thomas.

5 ports, 5 people can be expensive so I need to pick my excursions carefully.

FWIW we used Bernard's in ST Maarten and were very pleased with him. and I think it is only $40.00

Edited by jasminelee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Regarding mixed reviews, I find that I just take everyone's opinions as exactly that: their opinions. I have had nothing but great experiences with all the tour operators I have found through here and trip advisor, even those with some grumblings from other people

Regarding St. Lucia, I did a tour with Cosol with a group from our cruise last year. He was fabulous, very personable and we got a great tour. Not to mention the afternoon stop for hot bread and cheese!!! Not sure if other tour guides do this, but it was worth it just for that alone!!!

whomever you choose I hope you enjoy your trip; it is a beautiful island

Thank you for the info. I did check him out but I'm only interested in "water" tours. Right now for St. Marteen I'm thinking about Capt Bob.

We did Capt. Bob....awesome day! I'd go with him again in a second!

We did Spencer's Jalousie Beach Break. He wants to get his customers to the beach EARLY...and this is KEY! You need to get there early and snorkel before the land tour people stop by to snorkel after their land tour. Later in the day, the waters churn up and you don't see as much as you would earlier.

We were first there at 10am with our pick of chairs. Went snorkeling right away for a little over an hour. Came out for about 15 minutes and my husband went right back in until lunch time. While having lunch, Cosol's land tour stopped by for their hour beach break/snorkel. We ran into another couple from our excursion our first day and she and I sat and chatted while the guys went in snorkeling. My husband said there wasn't as much to see now as the masses had come and the fish scattered and the water churned up. I was glad we were in there first thing that morning :)

We did Capt. Bob....awesome day! I'd go with him again in a second!

We did Spencer's Jalousie Beach Break. He wants to get his customers to the beach EARLY...and this is KEY! You need to get there early and snorkel before the land tour people stop by to snorkel after their land tour. Later in the day, the waters churn up and you don't see as much as you would earlier.

We were first there at 10am with our pick of chairs. Went snorkeling right away for a little over an hour. Came out for about 15 minutes and my husband went right back in until lunch time. While having lunch, Cosol's land tour stopped by for their hour beach break/snorkel. We ran into another couple from our excursion our first day and she and I sat and chatted while the guys went in snorkeling. My husband said there wasn't as much to see now as the masses had come and the fish scattered and the water churned up. I was glad we were in there first thing that morning :)

ryansmom, thanks for the info. I know this is the wrong board but anyway to get more info on the Capt Bob trip.

I'm wondering how the snorkling on that was, the beach and especially the trip to Maho Beach and the planes.

We are a family of 5 with 3 19 yr olds so I want to make sure they aren't bored. My DH & I can sit in the sun and beach our lives away but unfortunately my kids don't take after either one of us :)

ryansmom, thanks for the info. I know this is the wrong board but anyway to get more info on the Capt Bob trip.

I'm wondering how the snorkling on that was, the beach and especially the trip to Maho Beach and the planes.

We are a family of 5 with 3 19 yr olds so I want to make sure they aren't bored. My DH & I can sit in the sun and beach our lives away but unfortunately my kids don't take after either one of us :)

Again...sorry for being wrong board :o

We had Tyrell who was a great tour guide. Told and showed us lots about the island. (still trying to get around to my reviews)

1st stop was Tintamarre to see the turtles

2nd stop was Pinel for 1/2 hour beach break...saw some people snorkeling, but not sure what there was to see because we took refuge in the warm water from the rain shower passing by :rolleyes:

then, to lunch in Grand Case on the beach...FULL plate of food and it was delicious! (I didn't even finish all my fries)

after lunch, we headed over to Creole Rock to snorkel (could see it from the beach at lunch)

We thought the snorkeling here was good. Saw my first spotted eagle ray :) Lots of corals and fish.... I believe this area is a sort of protected marine area/park....so, that helps.

After that last snorkel stop, we continued around with the tour and made another stop not too far before the French/Dutch border. I won't say what the surprise is, but your kids will want to get their gear on and get into the water. ;)

After here about 1/2 hour, we continued along the coast with the tour and stopped at Maho. A jet flew over top of us landing, and then we stayed long enough for a US Airways jet to take off. Be warned, when taking off, you WILL feel sand hit you....all they way out in the water.

After that, it was back to the dock. A great day, worth every penny and something I wouldn't hesitate to book again. You did good and I think your kids will have a good amount of 'tour/information' time and water time. Enjoy!

Again...sorry for being wrong board :o

We had Tyrell who was a great tour guide. Told and showed us lots about the island. (still trying to get around to my reviews)

1st stop was Tintamarre to see the turtles

2nd stop was Pinel for 1/2 hour beach break...saw some people snorkeling, but not sure what there was to see because we took refuge in the warm water from the rain shower passing by :rolleyes:

then, to lunch in Grand Case on the beach...FULL plate of food and it was delicious! (I didn't even finish all my fries)

after lunch, we headed over to Creole Rock to snorkel (could see it from the beach at lunch)

We thought the snorkeling here was good. Saw my first spotted eagle ray :) Lots of corals and fish.... I believe this area is a sort of protected marine area/park....so, that helps.

After that last snorkel stop, we continued around with the tour and made another stop not too far before the French/Dutch border. I won't say what the surprise is, but your kids will want to get their gear on and get into the water. ;)

After here about 1/2 hour, we continued along the coast with the tour and stopped at Maho. A jet flew over top of us landing, and then we stayed long enough for a US Airways jet to take off. Be warned, when taking off, you WILL feel sand hit you....all they way out in the water.

After that, it was back to the dock. A great day, worth every penny and something I wouldn't hesitate to book again. You did good and I think your kids will have a good amount of 'tour/information' time and water time. Enjoy!

Thank you so much ryansmom now back to our regularly scheduled program ;)

Spencer Ambrose obviously provides some good tours; lots of good reviews. However, he must not be consistent because we and many other folks had a very negative experience on his land and Sea tour. I think Spencer overbooks and cannot always provide a good product. My point is that there is risk with booking with Spencer.

• 3 months later...

sluherod@gmail.com