Chef's Table - Cost? Worth It?

glrydays

I do not eat seafood and I do not drink and had both menus. You will be contacted a day or two before the meal. I told them no seafood and no wine.

I was given chicken in place of the seafood. I already have the chefs table boked for my September cruise. I booked on JH blog. When you go to his blog, then ask John page. He stated last week that they are working on a new menu. :)

I do not eat seafood and I do not drink and had both menus. You will be contacted a day or two before the meal. I told them no seafood and no wine.

I was given chicken in place of the seafood. I already have the chefs table boked for my September cruise. I booked on JH blog. When you go to his blog, then ask John page. He stated last week that they are working on a new menu. :)

What did you think of the second menu ? We did the first menu and it was really awesome ,We didnt try this last cruise because the menu didnt look that great to us.I can make cornish game hens in my crockpot. Short ribs ,I can make a football taste good if its cooked long enough lol.I want different things to try.Hopefully the new menu will be better

I loved the Chef's Table on the Triumph (began in galley, ate majority of meal in library).

Based on that experience, I booked it on the Magic and hated it. The food and service was great, but it was noisy and we couldn't hear the chef. It lacked the ambiance of the Triumph experience.

I emailed for our reservations yesterday and I got an email this morning confirming them!!

What night is usully the chef's table?

We already have reservations to the steak house and we'd really like to do both and of course make both elegant nights in the MDR, we want it all:)

When do you let them know that you don't like certain things-for example I HATE seafood.

They visited us at dinner the night before to ask if we had any requirements (that is when I told them I don't drink wine). We had my time dining, so I assume the computer flagged we were there. We had a lady who did not eat seafood and she got chicken substituted for the 2 dishes that had it (a chicken salad when we had the ahi tuna cracker and a bone in sort of thing when we had the dinner portion). They are very accomodating. I also really hate fish (though I'll eat some shellfish)- but I tasted the sea bass. It wasn't horrible, but it still tasted like fish...

As for hating a whole class of food- I've had a lot of fish varieties prepared in a lot of different ways. They all are not things I like, so after 15 years of trying them, I can pretty well state- I do not eat fish. No matter how many times someone tells me "but this one isn't fishy", it is, and I don't like it.

4 hours could be long time for a smoker especially if drinking wine, does anybody in the group excuse themselves to go smoke in a smoking area and of course come back?

There is time to get up (for example, I excused myself to go the restroom), but being in such a small room- please consider not doing this if you don't have to. I think that coming back into the room having just smoked could greatly impact other's enjoyment of the night. At least on our ship, it is a very small room, and the smoke smell would permeate. Since the night is about enjoying food, smell really effects that.

I do wonder for those held in the galley whether it would be allowed to leave and come back, since that isn't a part of the ship you are generally allowed to access.

Has anybody had the "new" menu?

I am almost sorry for going through the trouble now of getting a reservation. The new menu does not look good at all. I would have prefered the old one.

Agreed. The old menu looks great - nothing appetizing to me on the new one really!!

IMO it's definitely worth the price but 1x is enough for DH and I. Our experience on the Pride was amazing. To book just act like your signing up for the steakhouse (on the my cruises section In the place where you book shore excursions etc) but in the first name box put your first and last name and in the last name box but Chefs Table. They will email you a confirmation within a couple days.

We had it booked for our Elation cruise but decided to cancel because we were enjoying our MDR staff and didn't feel like going through any rigmarole.

I'm glad we cancelled because the main reason for booking was to be able to watch and be involved in the preparation with the chefs and staff in the galley.

On this cruise, and maybe all of the Elation cruises - I have no idea, the Chef's table was served in the library.

The guests were all sitting at a table that faced the window so you could see them - ugh.

The food was all lined up on a table, also facing the window.

Absolutely unappealing and the only way I'll do it is if I know it will be in the galley.

That's actually what a Chef's Table is - or was - a table in the kitchen of the restaurant.

I haven't been able to find any reviews yet for the new menu.

Good to know we can cancel once on board because I really don't think we'll do it with the new menu. We'll stick with the steakhouse, which has a much better menu.

IMO it's definitely worth the price but 1x is enough for DH and I. Our experience on the Pride was amazing. To book just act like your signing up for the steakhouse (on the my cruises section In the place where you book shore excursions etc) but in the first name box put your first and last name and in the last name box but Chefs Table. They will email you a confirmation within a couple days.

Thanks for the tip on booking. I just filled out the form...I'll see what they say when they reply. It sounds so fun!

I love how how people are bashing the new menu without trying it. "It has short ribs on it!! Terrible." No it doesn't have "short ribs" on it. It has Wagyu short ribs. For those that don't know, Wagyu is second to only Kobe beef for the most expensive beef in the world!! Educate yourself before bashing.

The old menu, from a chefs view, if far more pedestrian then the new one. Chilean Sea Bass is a fish that very few chefs would consider serving to a paying customer. Filet Mignon is is also frowned upon in the cullanary world as it is a flavorless cut.

The new menu has so many more components going into each dish that the old menu doesn't compare on paper.

They visited us at dinner the night before to ask if we had any requirements (that is when I told them I don't drink wine). We had my time dining, so I assume the computer flagged we were there. We had a lady who did not eat seafood and she got chicken substituted for the 2 dishes that had it (a chicken salad when we had the ahi tuna cracker and a bone in sort of thing when we had the dinner portion). They are very accomodating. I also really hate fish (though I'll eat some shellfish)- but I tasted the sea bass. It wasn't horrible, but it still tasted like fish...

That was me with your group that didn't like the seafood. We've had both menus (three chefs table in seven cruises) and plan on trying again when we sail in Aug. The main reason we repeat is that each ship and each chef is different. In January we did the Chef's Table on our first of a B2B cruise and the chef remembered us on the next cruise so when they walked through the dining room he stopped to chat before leading the group into the Library.

Joyce

Filet Mignon is is also frowned upon in the cullanary world as it is a flavorless cut.

Man, the Filet Mignon lobbies must have a serious racket going then seeing as how it is one of the most expensive cuts you can order at a steakhouse and most people really like them.

(For the record- the one we had on the Chef's table was one of the best pieces of meat I've eaten. It was fabulous, not at all flavorless! And I've been to a number of expensive landbased steakhouses.)

Man, the Filet Mignon lobbies must have a serious racket going then seeing as how it is one of the most expensive cuts you can order at a steakhouse and most people really like them.

The cost comes from how much you can get off any given cow. You can get more ribeyes and strips then you can tenderloin. As for the American public enjoying tenderloin. To say the American public, for the most part, is clueless about food would be a tremendous understatement. The filet is the only steak that you need a sauce over it for it to have any flavor.

I love how how people are bashing the new menu without trying it. "It has short ribs on it!! Terrible." No it doesn't have "short ribs" on it. It has Wagyu short ribs. For those that don't know, Wagyu is second to only Kobe beef for the most expensive beef in the world!! Educate yourself before bashing.

The old menu, from a chefs view, if far more pedestrian then the new one. Chilean Sea Bass is a fish that very few chefs would consider serving to a paying customer. Filet Mignon is is also frowned upon in the cullanary world as it is a flavorless cut.

The new menu has so many more components going into each dish that the old menu doesn't compare on paper.

I definitely agree with you here, on all accounts. The Wagyu was the best part of the entire menu and I am not really a beef eater.

As for where you dine - I would never, ever want to have this sort of meal in a noisy, bustling kitchen. We had our sparking wine and an appetizer in the kitchen, while standing, toured the entire kitchen, and then we all were taken to a quiet room with one long table set up for enjoying the rest of the meal.

I cannot say I cared for the ambiance of the room. It felt more like a very small conference room in a hotel. But at least I could hear most of the conversations. I do admit having a great deal of difficulty understanding the accent of our chef so quite a bit of the menu's descriptions were "lost in translation."

I believe there is still yet another menu change coming up. Perhaps you could ask John Heald if he might know the date.

I believe there is still yet another menu change coming up. Perhaps you could ask John Heald if he might know the date.

Yes there is a new menu in the works. John Heald said it would be announced when it was finalized. Just don't know when that will be. I am looking forward to it though.

What did you think of the second menu ? We did the first menu and it was really awesome ,We didnt try this last cruise because the menu didnt look that great to us.I can make cornish game hens in my crockpot. Short ribs ,I can make a football taste good if its cooked long enough lol.I want different things to try.Hopefully the new menu will be better

I liked the second menu better than the first. At the end the Chef asked me which menu I liked the best and I told him the second. I did enjoy the short ribs better than the steak. I enjoyed the chicken choices the chef made me on the second chefs table than the first. :)

Agreed that Chilean Sea Bass and Filet is tried and true at most 4-5 star resturants.But most people cannot afford it on a regular basis, however they can buy "short ribs" can cornnish hens anytime and anywhere.

May not be fancy japan cow meat but still ribs.

People that can't normally afford 4 or 5 star food do indulge on vacations so feeding them something they consider tailgate food is why the bashing is going on. Just my opinion :):)

I liked the second menu better than the first. At the end the Chef asked me which menu I liked the best and I told him the second. I did enjoy the short ribs better than the steak. I enjoyed the chicken choices the chef made me on the second chefs table than the first. :)

We passed last cruise because in my opinion it really wasnt worth the $75 to eat salmon,game hen and short ribs.That didnt appeal to us we eat those at home alot.The filet from the first menu was the best we have ever had,so tender you could cut it with a fork

Not the same food as the MDR, not even close.

Never been to the steakhouse, but my understanding is it is a totally different type of food.

This is a fixed menu, that offers a number of courses all made with exquisite attention to detail and taste. (If you have any allergies or preferences they accomodate amazingly- we had one person not eat fish and she got 2 made for her courses, and I don't drink wine, and they also replaced the wine reduction in one of my dishes!)

You can book on the ship if you don't want to email the steakhouse or maitre'd.

It is a memorable experience because it is a small dinner for 12 (we all had a great time together- we noticed they group the two groups of 12 by age, so we were in the younger group, the next night was a bit older) with a bunch of foodies. You also get a galley tour. Although there was unlimited wine served (glasses were never less than half full, my husband estimated he drank a bottle, plus a few glasses of champagne in the galley) no one was there to just drink $75 worth.

It was just a fabulous evening- I got to make Warm Chocolate Melting cake in the galley, for instance! Although we tasted the 'old' menu, if you look at my Triumph review in my signature, starting on page 2, you will see photos and a detailed explanation of how our evening went.

How would you compare it to the dining in the steakhouse that is at an additional charge? If you have been there? I went to the Steakhouse(different name for the different ships) several times..The food was/in amazing!

So, I am thinking why dont I just do the Captains Dinner since there may or may not be a wine pairing?

Thanks for anyones help!

Archived