Ocean View Guarantee - has anyone else gotten stuck with portholes on deck 2? yuck.

Hello - I had an inside guarantee and had a decent mid ship room on deck three, and then later decided to upgrade me and my mom to an ocean view guarantee. I checked the website each day for the last week to see what our new cabin would be and tonight I got it - yuck. All the way by the front with portholes on deck 2 Enchantment. I know that you take your chances on a guarantee and I am not even too picky but I really didn't think I would get that. I have done guarantees on several cruises and never had something like this before.

Has this happened to anyone else? How are the portholes? Now I don't know what to do, an upgrade will be kind of expensive at this point.

Missy

Guest OBAYbee

I am not familiar with how "guaranteed" rooms work. My opinion is that any room with a view is a good one. I could not stay inside w/o windows. Too boxy feeling for me. How much more would it be? If not a whole lot go for it.

I already have the guarantee - it means you book a category. When you book a guarantee you take what you get - except I guess everyone hopes that they will get something decent or at least not the worst room available in the category. Of course portholes are better than nothing, but I am still disappointed. I was just wondering if this was a common thing to happen.

Even though you have booked the gaurantee.You can still uograde to any cabin you want..If you are willing to pay the price..

We have had 1 big port hole...That was really cool.

I would be more concerned about movement in the front...

But ...its all good..Your on a cruise.

One cruise we did guarantee and it was on the Grandeur outside with a porthole and it was forward. Actually the cabin was a little bit bigger than the other outside cabins and in front of the porthole was a big shelf and we could put our smaller pieces of luggage and had more storage space. Enjoy your cruise. You are never in your cabin anyway except to change clothes and sleep.

It is a bit difficult to sort out your post.

It sounds like you were satisfied with the results of booking an inside guarantee and getting a nice upgrade.

If that cabin was OK, why did you go for something else?

If the 2nd deck porthole cabin was more money than an oceanview guarantee, you still got a bargain.

If you want a certain cabin category, book it.

If you are willing to be flexible, go for a guarantee for your minimum requirements.

You probably saved a few $$ by using a guarantee and not booking the category you where assigned. Go with the flow and have a great time. Don't forget, you started this by selecting the "guarantee" category.

Les

I just did a balcony guarantee because there were no balconies available at the time I booked, they just recently assigned me a cabin number, which was all the way at the end of the ship on deck 6, I am more of a mid ship person, anyway, I went to their site to see if there were any other cabins available and there were on deck 9 and 10, so I had my TA call and request one, as long as it is the same category for your guarantee they will allow you to switch, so if you can find a room in your category just call RCCL or your TA, whoever you booked through and ask them for that cabin. As the other poster said you can also pay the difference to get to different category if you want too.

This is a perfect illustration of how guarantees can and often do work. Few people book the least desirable rooms in a category - they'd go for the guaranty instead and hope for the best. But somebody has to get those worse rooms, and it is indeed for this reason often the guaranty passengers.

I would recommend not booking a guaranty in a category where there is any cabin you would be unhappy with - for example, an obstructed view, or a porthole, because you have to be aware that that is precisely what you will get.

Of course, sometimes you can do great - I wish we all knew what the decision points were for the cruiselines in awarding upgrades!

Archived