NON beach excursions?

LindaKE

I'd suggest a Godfrey tour so that you can see an overview of St Thomas, but it does include a beach stop. www.godfreytoursvi.com

Or hiking on one of St John's many trails, where you can also visit various ruins. (Such as Annaberg) www.*****

Cruz Bay on St John has some unique shopping if you enjoy to shop!

I wouldn't discount visiting a USVI beach just yet though... I have yet to find a comparable beach in the domestic US. The beaches of St Thomas and St John are incredible, and each one is different. Some lined with seagrape trees, some with underwater snorkeling trails, pristine white sand, crystal clear waters, snorkeling with hawksbill turtles, incredible views... icon_smile.gif

~ Mandy

NCL Sky 12/2000 - Western Caribbean

Celebrity Galaxy 12/2001 - Southern Caribbean

S/S Norway 03/2003 wedding cruise - Eastern Caribbean

~~~~ Married on the beach in St John! ~~~~

HAL ms Maasdam 11/23/2003 - Western Caribbean

We did the Cas Cay Eco Tour, a ship excursion on the Constellation. It was amazing fun and a great excursion for first-time snorkling. A van takes you from the pier in Charlotte Amalie to the eco tour site.

There, you get bottled water, snorkling equipment, etc. (We brought our own snorkles). There are three guides and they take you by inflatables to Cas Cay, an island formed by mangroves.

You take a hike through the mangroves and learn about the ecology. Then you head to volcanic rock formations and see some wonderful tide pools with sea urchins and damsel fish. After a hike back, you can snorkle over a shipwreck. We saw giant conch, angel fish, baracuda, snappers, gorgeous coral reefs, etc. It was awesome and gave me a first great experience in snorkling. Now I'm hooked. If you don't want to snorkle, you can always just swim to cool off.

It's also a great alternative to shopping, which my guys definitely did not want to do. We had such a great time. My 11 year old son just raves about this.

• 7 months later...

THanks for your great review of Cas Cay. Three questions; first, would it be hard for an elderly person with bad knees to get in and out of the dinghies? Second, is there a nice wading beach with chairs or is it all rocky shoreline ? THird, would waterproof sports sandels or those pull on aqua socks be better?

Thanks so much!

• 1 month later...

it won't take up much time but i definitely would recommend going up to paradise point. you can walk to the tram from the cruise pier. the view is magnificent and you can relax with a great frosty drink (although pricey). there are a few small souvenir shops also. the best part was that we stumbled on a bird show that just happened to be at the time we were up there...a woman had several exotic birds that were trained to do the funniest things (ride a bike, roller skate, play basketball...i'm not joking). it was free and it was short but it was one of the things we remember most about st. thomas. i got the impression that the birds are there all the time (we went in october).

Archived