Carnival or Royal Caribbean

jazzygirl

Hi, I am new to the board. I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer for me. We are planning on booking a cruise for November (two couples) and I can't decide whether to do Carnival Imagination or Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas. They both are sailing on the same date and doing the same itinerary that we want. Carnival is coming out to be $200.00 per couple cheaper than Royal. I am having a hard time deciding because I have, in the past, been on Royal Caribbean (Sovereign and Majesty only) and never on Carnival so I don't want to put myself in a position to be dissapointed if I go Carnival, but then again it is cheaper and I don't know much about Carnival.

Is there anyone that has been on both and/or one of these ships that can give me some insight.

Thank you.

Jazzygirl!

I've never been on RCI but my husband has he thinks Carnival and RCI are equal in terms of service, food, and entertainment. :)

My hubby likes the rock climbing wall and mini-golf but he rather have the CCL activities over them anyday..

I can tell you I was thinking of sailing with RCI in the future but after reading a thread over on their board I dont think I can sail with those types of people.. :( http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=188476

My first cruise was the Imagination. We loved it. I have been on RCCL (Sovereign of the Seas). I like the music out on the lido deck better then I do Carnival. But all could have changed in recent years. I really like both cruise lines. Carnival though is the fun ship and they stand by it large or small ship it is all what you make it out to be. MY chose would be Carnival.:) :cool:

I've sailed both lines but not the ships you refer to. Actually I've been on many more Carnival ships than RCI. It's a personal choice and your reasons for liking one line over the other may be different than mine. There are a lot of things Carnival does right, but overall I perfer RCI much more.

Beth

Hi, We were on Enchantment in 2003 and we enjoyed it. It was relaxing. I thought the crowd was kind of subdued though. Food, entertainment , kids club, piano bar were all good. They are fixing up that ship and it sounds like it's going to be nice! I would like to go on Enchantment again. I felt it was a nice sized ship for our first cruise as a family. (broke them in)

Years ago I went with my girlfriend on Carnival (can't even remember the name of the ship!) It was wild!!! We're going to try Carnival Destiny this Feb. with a group of relatives. Now that I have kids I hope it's not as wild as I remember it! But I'll let you know how I make out.:)

Our first cruise was on the Imagination and we really loved that ship. Then last March we decided to cruise RCCL's Majesty of the Seas. We just did not feel the excitement on RCCL as Carnival. From the sail away party to the last night, the party atmosphere was not there. Although Majesty was a larger ship, it felt more enclosed. The night life just did not have it. And sitting by the pool in the afternoon showed us no fun.

If you are looking for a more party atmosphere, Carnival would be my choice.

By the way, if you do choose Imagination, you will not be disappointed.

Since both of these are older ships in their fleets it's a toss of the coin on that one. Is the added rock wall worth $200? Probably not but weighing in other important things I agree Carnival would be better, however if it was on one of RCL's big boys with the skate/ice rinks, Johnny Rockets, puttputts that would not be hard to choose for a $200 difference. I don't think you will disappointed in going with Carnival but don't ask this same question on the RCL board!

I have sailed on both of these ships. The service on both was very good and food was equal. We had a category 11 on the Imagination with balcony and a Category C aft balcony on the Enchantment. The Enchantment recently went through a substantial update. I would look at what cabin category you are considering for that difference. I think I would lean to the Imagination because of the update but it's a toss up. Both offer great value and you will enjoy either. If you have any questions, I would be glad to give you an opinion.

Both ships are about the same age. I believe that the Imagination entered service in 1995 and the Enchantment in 1997. The Enchantment is currently in Rotterdam going through a major refurbishment including a stretch. They are adding some new features being added to the ship and when she returns to service will be just like new. I have booked this ship for next May. I have been on the Imagination but that was about eight years ago. It was ok but nothing to make we want to book it again. If price is the deciding factor for you then I would go with the Imagination.

Here is a link to some photos of the Enchantment during the stretch. Scroll to the bottom and you can click the links for more photos.

http://www.aadhoogesteger.nl/cruiseschepen/verlench13.html

Below is a link to some of the things being added on the exterior.

http://www.cruisenewsdaily.com/nf40929.html

Hard to top the Voyager class of RCI, but am looking forward to the CCL Liberty with all its upgrades and new items.

CCL is tops with me for its food--especially the variety at the Lido for lunch, sushi bars, seafood (Conquest ships)-- cabin sizes, and most of all its entertainment--quality,quantity and variety--CCL has always had more of a "fun atmosphere" than RCI.

nosnobunny--I can't believe you like RCI better since you were able to meet me on a CCL!:)

Imagination and Enchantment--very similar --I would make the choice based on itineraries--everything being equal, I'd go with the Imagination.

Been on both lines...RCCL once, (the mariner) and many times with Carnival. Tomorrow with CArnival again!

We found that we like Carnival better. THey have better food, entertainment,(hands down) and atmosphere. It was rather stuffy at dinner time with RCCL...were waiting for the fun to start. RCCL just has a different crowd. Personally I'd go with Carnival, even if it was the same price..but to save money too....

You can only get ones opinions and decide what's important to YOU. What is important to one, may not be to another.

You'll enjoy yourself either way. But I think you'd have more fun on Carnival and save yourself some money.

Enjoy!

Our first cruise was on the Imagination and we really loved that ship. Then last March we decided to cruise RCCL's Majesty of the Seas. We just did not feel the excitement on RCCL as Carnival. From the sail away party to the last night, the party atmosphere was not there. Although Majesty was a larger ship, it felt more enclosed. The night life just did not have it. And sitting by the pool in the afternoon showed us no fun.

If you are looking for a more party atmosphere, Carnival would be my choice.

By the way, if you do choose Imagination, you will not be disappointed.

As my DW told you above, We really enjoyed the Imagination! I don't know if it was just the the Magesty or if all RCCL ships have the same low key atmostphere. But I can tell you we are booking Carnival next March. On eather the Glory or Valor for the eastern caribbean. (Buy the way RCCL can get rid of the silly rock wall.)

I see you've sailed only RCI--Try a CCL --you just might be pleasantly surprised.

There's a reason we have 14 CCL's and 4 RCI's. Glad we did the Adventure--a great ship, but still not the fun atmosphere of a newer CCL(Conquest or Spirit class)----food and entertainment not close.

I like both lines as well. CCL's food was a little better but the staff on RCI was better. I would sail both lines with no hesitation.

Not to sound rude, but please do not pass judgement on either lines unless you have PERSONALLY sailed them. Doing so will label you to some as a troll;) :)

I see you've sailed only RCI--Try a CCL --you just might be pleasantly surprised.

There's a reason we have 14 CCL's and 4 RCI's. Glad we did the Adventure--a great ship, but still not the fun atmosphere of a newer CCL(Conquest or Spirit class)----food and entertainment not close.

I guess that's why we all have different opinions and different lines to sail. After 16 cruises with Carnival I found RCI to be a true step up over Carnival. I found my trip on the Navigator to be just as lively as any Carnival ship. Also I found that Carnival is no better in the food or entertainment departments. By the way I have been on the Imagination. Nothing special about that ship. The older Fantasy IMHO is a much better ship.

By the way according to Ericks sig line he has been on Carnival.

I have been on Carnival. I really don't find the decor of the Carnival ships appealing. I also don't like there balconies. Come on Why cant they just use sliding glass doors, they are so much better.

I have been on Carnival. I really don't find the decor of the Carnival ships appealing. I also don't like there balconies. Come on Why cant they just use sliding glass doors, they are so much better.

The Fantasy now has a different look to her than when you sailed on her. I have photos below in my first link. She has a new theme and looks 100% better. Much more toned down. Funny thing Joe Farcus did not do the redesign and it shows.

I agree with you about the sliding doors on RCI. Great and you don't here doors slamming in the middle of the night.

Archived