GAPearl's Second Valor Review- Solo Southern Caribbean Cruise! (2/24/13)

gapearl

There are pretty good restroom facilities to the right of the sign.

a76420bf-e626-49db-b260-6951ebc7a645_zps47f988fe.jpg

083df70c-18fd-455a-b5b2-33904b6709a6_zpsf9902f42.jpg

The chairs were $3. Somehow the guy you pay managed to skip collecting my payment, but he did come by to say hi. Cheers to that! :D

fb435c12-1581-452d-85d7-bf7e22e7b38f_zps1aa7ee2a.jpg

57ee257b-cdfa-4b27-a49d-9a5acab99dae_zps81bbf4fc.jpg

fc438d74-c427-499b-bb97-205c94f2dab9_zps37a90f4f.jpg

By the time I met James back at the van at 2 pm, I was good and tipsy. It was about a 10 minute ride back to the ship. I found a gift shop with free internet, where I logged in to cruise critic for a few minutes and checked in on Facebook with "Too much rum punch." It was a great day in St. Kitts and I really enjoyed my tour!

More people with those colorful Carnival costumes.

08119ad8-ec67-4589-8824-ca0b152369a1_zps9602ec85.jpg

I honestly have no idea what I did for the next couple of hours. I might have gone to the sauna. I might have gone to the pool. I might have gone to the buffet. I might have taken a nap. Who knows. Definitely too much rum punch. :cool: I do remember heading to the Ivanhoe Theater from 5-5:45 pm for the past guest party and having more rum punch. The party had a Mardi Gras theme in honor of Carnival's first ship, the Mardi Gras. They were passing out Mardi Gras beads, and no you didn't have to show your breasts to get some! :D

Me with Peter, the assistant cruise director. I enjoyed meeting him. Really cool guy.

bef8f803-80da-4f9f-8b30-394acf3e12b4_zpse1e6f8c5.jpg

I'm a happy girl! The appetizers were really good too.

1900b663-ab18-4ed3-b3c8-39ac0b08b960_zps7a16be44.jpg

The captain, cruise director, and other staff members with the passenger onboard that had the most days sailed- 216!

0fcc0c41-b05d-469c-90d0-2a5575f794ed_zps8bf67111.jpg

db70fffa-61bf-4bfb-8419-225d6d6ca3d4_zps23d3e587.jpg

For dinner tonight, I had the vegetable spring rolls and grilled chicken from the every day menu with a side of mashed potatoes. You get 1 guess only what was for dessert. The chicken was pretty bland.

cfef1bb8-132e-4679-8874-1e01beb51c34_zps991dd6ce.jpg

10eeebdf-90b2-464a-a0bf-9ce57ae3ae90_zps2fa41472.jpg

Our waiters danced to Low tonight. That's always my favorite. I know some people say the waiters hate the dancing, but these guys were having a lot of fun.

f680fe14-d762-497e-9c40-f8d2af27f69b_zpsed27b416.jpg

92bdfb5f-f8ac-43e0-a6c2-966f60c3c97f_zpsea4142bd.jpg

We had two new comedians tonight. Both were good, but not as good as the first two earlier in the week. Lexi, the Punchliner manager, made us give the comedy club rules as we had heard them so many times we all knew them. Rule #1- No video taping or cameras. Sit on your camera if you're tempted. It's an adult show so if you're easily offended, GET OUT. If you're under 18, GET OUT. Rule #2- No smoking. If you'd like some fresh air, head next door to the Paris Hot Lounge. Rule #3- SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Those of you sailing in the near future will also have these memorized fairly quickly. I went to the 11 pm show of Mark Simmons and the midnight show of Seth Buchwald. Good grief, how'd I end up in Seth's show too? My night ended with my regular trip to One Small Step for some dancing and socializing, followed by a late night grilled cheese sandwich and an inedible piece of cheesecake from room service.

92710590-4798-4262-aadf-941f26af11b9_zps64359317.jpg

Next installment: I gotta do what to get a free drink?

Hawaii697,

I have a question for you. You mentioned that you like the end cabins on Lido. I just bumped up to 9258 on Lido and, if there is a door to the outside down by the cabins that you book, I'd like to change. Can you let me know?

Sorry to post on this thread. I did it because you mentioned that you subscribed to it and I figured you'd see my question here. Thanks, in advance :)

Hi Vette. Your cabin is locate near an entrance where there is a lot of traffic. There is an entrance near cabins 9293 and 9294 however its rarely used unless your cabin is in the area. Most people walk straight out of the Lido deck and walk straight. The entrances to my cabins are generally to the left or right. If you have any other questions, feel free to email me at dford697@hotmail.com.

db70fffa-61bf-4bfb-8419-225d6d6ca3d4_zps23d3e587.jpg

For dinner tonight, I had the vegetable spring rolls and grilled chicken from the every day menu with a side of mashed potatoes. You get 1 guess only what was for dessert. The chicken was pretty bland.

cfef1bb8-132e-4679-8874-1e01beb51c34_zps991dd6ce.jpg

10eeebdf-90b2-464a-a0bf-9ce57ae3ae90_zps2fa41472.jpg

Our waiters danced to Low tonight. That's always my favorite. I know some people say the waiters hate the dancing, but these guys were having a lot of fun.

f680fe14-d762-497e-9c40-f8d2af27f69b_zpsed27b416.jpg

92bdfb5f-f8ac-43e0-a6c2-966f60c3c97f_zpsea4142bd.jpg

We had two new comedians tonight. Both were good, but not as good as the first two earlier in the week. Lexi, the Punchliner manager, made us give the comedy club rules as we had heard them so many times we all knew them. Rule #1- No video taping or cameras. Sit on your camera if you're tempted. It's an adult show so if you're easily offended, GET OUT. If you're under 18, GET OUT. Rule #2- No smoking. If you'd like some fresh air, head next door to the Paris Hot Lounge. Rule #3- SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Those of you sailing in the near future will also have these memorized fairly quickly. I went to the 11 pm show of Mark Simmons and the midnight show of Seth Buchwald. Good grief, how'd I end up in Seth's show too? My night ended with my regular trip to One Small Step for some dancing and socializing, followed by a late night grilled cheese sandwich and an inedible piece of cheesecake from room service.

92710590-4798-4262-aadf-941f26af11b9_zps64359317.jpg

Next installment: I gotta do what to get a free drink?

Your pictures of St. Kitts ate excellent!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Thanks so much for the review. We are taking the Valor at Christmas with the same itenerary. Your review is great and really makes me wish 9 months will pass quickly! Didn't know there were monkeys on St. Kitts - haven't been there yet! I also got great information from your San Juan report - great job and pics!:o

Kim, I have really enjoyed your Review Girl!! You are so good at writing Reviews, you keep your audience captivated, interested, entertained and you write as if we are right there with you! This is the cruise I've been wanting to do for a while and reading/following your review, is making me want to leave NOW!

Oh by the way, James is handsome. He can be my boyfriend if you don't want him! LOL

Kim I just want you to know that I had planned to fly in for my Valor cruise on embarkation day, but now due to your review we're coming in a day early to stay at Da House:)! Also yes I remember you from the Breeze Roll Call group. I am still upset that I'm not going on that cruise:(. The Roll Call group seemed like alotta fun. But I have a great group on my Valor Roll Call as well so it all worked out!

Curious what tour of the Pitons did you take?

Spencer Ambrose has gotten the most talk & good ratings that I've seen. First time there, so I def look forward to it!! GAPearl has some beautiful pictures.

Susan

We did a Catamaran Cruise to the Pitons through Carnival, it includes swimming, and some food and all the rum punch you want, after swimming of course.

LOL @ the Ghetto Gal drink... REALLY???

I didn't even read the menu, but I went back and found it after you said that. LOL.:p And I agree with the name of the drink...beer and red bull? :eek:

Edited by Leo's Rule
lol

Hi Kim, I just spent my morning reading this entire review thread =) what an amazing review! We are on the valor Sept 15th with the same itinerary =) we are doing welcome tours with buelah mills in st Kitts and Spencer Ambrose in st Lucia. I have in my notes to go to st john or Megan's bay in st Thomas the dockyard carlise bay in barbados and I'm not sure what to do in st marteen yet. We are with Ashley prettyhazerdous =) looks like you had a amazing trip!!! So glad I got to read all of this review, looking forward to st marteen next. I read somewhere there was a water taxi for $6 the whole day that could take you to a beach. We want mostly beach days to relax while in ports =) thanks so much!

I'd been looking forward to and am really enjoying your review. I remember reading and enjoying some of your past reviews as well. We will be on the same cruise on May 5 and will be flying into San Juan on the 4th. Now I'm really getting excited and I've gotten a few ideas from your review. Did you do the 80's music trivia contest (evening after St. Lucia)? I'd love to try that one since I know a lot of 80's music. I have a silly question - do they still have the drinks in the Blowfish cup on one of the days? I've seen those in past reviews and would love to have one so I'm hoping they still have them. I have a few coconut monkeys from past cruises but plan on getting more of those as well. I'm looking forward to the rest of your review - I need ideas for St. Martin. We were there on our honeymoon years ago and did the Pinel Island snorkeling tour, but I don't see it listed as a Carnival excursion. We're thinking of maybe Maho Beach to watch the planes.

Reading this review has made me seriously consider going on the same cruise in December or February. IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT, KIM! :p Anyway, I sailed on the Valor a loooong time ago (2005) & scored one of the weird L shaped rooms that at the time they were marketing to solo passengers. Got it for maybe $50 more than the inside I had booked, IIRC. Anyway, it looks like they've wised up since then & have recategorized that wonderful cabin. :( On the up side, I've got a friend interested, so if we both end up going, Kim, IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!! LOL (thanks)

yea! More review!!!! Love the monkeys.

The monkeys were so cute! I didn't want to give them back.

I am enjoying your review. I like what you did in St. Kitts, I too travel solo and the 2 hour tour plus beach is exactly what I want to do on my cruise. Thanks for your humour. Its appreciated.

K

Thanks! It was a great tour. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Be careful on the black sand. It's hot! Have fun on your cruise! :)

Hawaii697,

I have a question for you. You mentioned that you like the end cabins on Lido. I just bumped up to 9258 on Lido and, if there is a door to the outside down by the cabins that you book, I'd like to change. Can you let me know?

Sorry to post on this thread. I did it because you mentioned that you subscribed to it and I figured you'd see my question here. Thanks, in advance :)

Hope you get your answer.

Timothy Hill looks awesome! Ok...I nearly choked on your comment about the donkey looking like an azz and I didn't realize that was a sleeping diapered donkey on his back!!! :eek: It looks like a dead monkey...or some weird growth! See' date=' I wasn't getting off the ship this go round in St. Kitts, but your pictures are amazing. Though I've visited Romney Manor and Bastik, and the Rum Tree. We had some other stops with Royston, but Timothy is one we didn't do. (I know...I've already stated that). I hope you guys visited the Fort. Driving up to it was scary!

And you think you're slick; I'm still waiting to hear what your response was to the comedian. :p[/quote']

If you haven't seen Timothy Hill, you must go up there for the views and the rum punches. :D Unfortunately, this tour didn't have any time at the fort, so I'll have to do that whenever I might get back to St. Kitts. Don't hold your breath waiting. :p

Kim, Kim, Kim. I am going to go run the vacuum in an attempt to lower my blood pressure after seeing your St. Lucia climb ! My fear of heights kicked in big time just reading that portion of your review !

I thought of YOU when we were on the Breeze (March 2-10,) when I ordered Warm Melting Cake on the first night. I said, "Two ice creams, please." Our server replied, " I ALWAYS bring two ice creams !" You must have trained him in the proper service of WMC.

Loving your review as always. I'm glad you followed St. Lucia with St. Kitts. It was one of my favorite ports. Looking forward to reading the rest.

Hi Vette. Your cabin is locate near an entrance where there is a lot of traffic. There is an entrance near cabins 9293 and 9294 however its rarely used unless your cabin is in the area. Most people walk straight out of the Lido deck and walk straight. The entrances to my cabins are generally to the left or right. If you have any other questions, feel free to email me at dford697@hotmail.com.

Thanks for the answer!

Your pictures of St. Kitts ate excellent!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Thank you!

Thanks so much for the review. We are taking the Valor at Christmas with the same itenerary. Your review is great and really makes me wish 9 months will pass quickly! Didn't know there were monkeys on St. Kitts - haven't been there yet! I also got great information from your San Juan report - great job and pics!:o

They say St. Kitts has more monkeys than people! They weren't out roaming as freely as they usually do. You'll have a great time in San Juan. Hopefully you will have a couple of days to spend there. Christmas will be here before you know it!

Kim, I have really enjoyed your Review Girl!! You are so good at writing Reviews, you keep your audience captivated, interested, entertained and you write as if we are right there with you! This is the cruise I've been wanting to do for a while and reading/following your review, is making me want to leave NOW!

Oh by the way, James is handsome. He can be my boyfriend if you don't want him! LOL

Awww, thanks so much! I hope you will get to book this in the near future. It's a really awesome itinerary, probably my favorite so far. James was indeed handsome. :) But like I said, I can't live in a place where it only takes you 3 minutes to walk through the entire mall, so it would never work. LOL

Kim I just want you to know that I had planned to fly in for my Valor cruise on embarkation day, but now due to your review we're coming in a day early to stay at Da House:)! Also yes I remember you from the Breeze Roll Call group. I am still upset that I'm not going on that cruise:(. The Roll Call group seemed like alotta fun. But I have a great group on my Valor Roll Call as well so it all worked out!

Yay! Get you a nap in early so you can spend the night down at the Nuyorican Cafe. If y'all are adventerous, go party with the 19 year olds. :D Our group now is up to 44 people. It would have been awesome to meet and sail with you. No doubt, you're still gonna have a great cruise.

We did a Catamaran Cruise to the Pitons through Carnival, it includes swimming, and some food and all the rum punch you want, after swimming of course.

Rum punch is not a good idea before swimming. I learned that the hard way in Aruba last year. :o

LOL @ the Ghetto Gal drink... REALLY???

I didn't even read the menu' date=' but I went back and found it after you said that. LOL.:p And I agree with the name of the drink...beer and red bull? :eek:[/quote']

I just noticed that myself. That's a mess! LOL

Hi Kim, I just spent my morning reading this entire review thread =) what an amazing review! We are on the valor Sept 15th with the same itinerary =) we are doing welcome tours with buelah mills in st Kitts and Spencer Ambrose in st Lucia. I have in my notes to go to st john or Megan's bay in st Thomas the dockyard carlise bay in barbados and I'm not sure what to do in st marteen yet. We are with Ashley prettyhazerdous =) looks like you had a amazing trip!!! So glad I got to read all of this review, looking forward to st marteen next. I read somewhere there was a water taxi for $6 the whole day that could take you to a beach. We want mostly beach days to relax while in ports =) thanks so much!

Great tour choices! The beaches at St. John are very nice, but keep in mind you will spend half your port day getting there and back- taxi to the ferry, the ferry ride, taxi to the beach when you get there, and do it again on the way back. You'll end up with only about 2 hours on the beach. If that's all you need, then go for it, but if you want a full beach day, go to Magen's Bay. I saw the water taxi in St. Maarten. it's right there in the shopping area when you get off the ship. You and Pretty Hazardous are going to have a ball! :D

I'd been looking forward to and am really enjoying your review. I remember reading and enjoying some of your past reviews as well. We will be on the same cruise on May 5 and will be flying into San Juan on the 4th. Now I'm really getting excited and I've gotten a few ideas from your review. Did you do the 80's music trivia contest (evening after St. Lucia)? I'd love to try that one since I know a lot of 80's music. I have a silly question - do they still have the drinks in the Blowfish cup on one of the days? I've seen those in past reviews and would love to have one so I'm hoping they still have them. I have a few coconut monkeys from past cruises but plan on getting more of those as well. I'm looking forward to the rest of your review - I need ideas for St. Martin. We were there on our honeymoon years ago and did the Pinel Island snorkeling tour, but I don't see it listed as a Carnival excursion. We're thinking of maybe Maho Beach to watch the planes.

I'm glad you've been enjoying this looooooong review! What do you have planned for your day and a half in San Juan? No, I didn't make it to any of the trivia. I do remember passing trivia a few times down the promenade. I'm not sure if they still have the blowfish cup. I do remember seeing the whale tail cup, but that's the only one I remember. I'm about to start on St. Maarten in the next little while. I went to Maho Beach and spent a great day there.

Reading this review has made me seriously consider going on the same cruise in December or February. IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT, KIM! :p Anyway, I sailed on the Valor a loooong time ago (2005) & scored one of the weird L shaped rooms that at the time they were marketing to solo passengers. Got it for maybe $50 more than the inside I had booked, IIRC. Anyway, it looks like they've wised up since then & have recategorized that wonderful cabin. :( On the up side, I've got a friend interested, so if we both end up going, Kim, IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!! LOL (thanks)

I'll gladly take the blame for you booking this cruise! :D I kind of want to go again myself next year. I don't think I know about that kind of cabin you were in. I was really happy with my cabin. I had plenty of space, and all 3 closets to myself. LOL

Kim, Kim, Kim. I am going to go run the vacuum in an attempt to lower my blood pressure after seeing your St. Lucia climb ! My fear of heights kicked in big time just reading that portion of your review !

I thought of YOU when we were on the Breeze (March 2-10,) when I ordered Warm Melting Cake on the first night. I said, "Two ice creams, please." Our server replied, " I ALWAYS bring two ice creams !" You must have trained him in the proper service of WMC.

Loving your review as always. I'm glad you followed St. Lucia with St. Kitts. It was one of my favorite ports. Looking forward to reading the rest.

Oh my goodness! Run the vacuum, that's too funny! I think I trained quite a few waiters to bring two ice creams. The first night at open seating, a lady at my table asked for no ice cream, I asked for two, and he still brought her two. LOL Will you be doing a review of your Breeze cruise? I'm sailing her in 6 months, and you and your husband are so cute. :)

Omg Kim!!! I appreciate you sooooo much for this review. However my friends are gonna kill me cause thanks to your review I booked yet another tour for us!!! Lol. I booked with Beluah Mills for the same tour you did but pick up will be at 1 pm because I'm also doing zip lining that day.

Here is my question: my best friend is skeptical about the massages on the beach. She wanted to know if they were any good, who does them( are they licensed lol) and how do we sign up for a massage? Oh and which beach?

Again thank you so much forth is amazing review!!!!

I'll gladly take the blame for you booking this cruise! :D I kind of want to go again myself next year. I don't think I know about that kind of cabin you were in. I was really happy with my cabin. I had plenty of space, and all 3 closets to myself. LOL

I got this from my VIFP account: board: Carnival Valor

Stateroom #: 2462 (Outside, 6B)

Loved Loved LOVED this room. The bed faced the windows, which were NOT portholes. The desk was to the right & the closets & bathroom to the left. IIRC, I also had a small chair & table in the room as well. It was perfect for 1 person, although 2 could fit in there if they were a couple. I don't think the bed could be separated into twins.

How long did it take to hear back from Beulah and Welcome Tours? I used their contact us form but never heard anything back. Maybe I should re-submit it?

I called her at the number on the website this morning to book a tour. She answered and was very pleasant over the phone. She sent me a confirmation email within 2 hours.

Omg Kim!!! I appreciate you sooooo much for this review. However my friends are gonna kill me cause thanks to your review I booked yet another tour for us!!! Lol. I booked with Beluah Mills for the same tour you did but pick up will be at 1 pm because I'm also doing zip lining that day.

Here is my question: my best friend is skeptical about the massages on the beach. She wanted to know if they were any good, who does them( are they licensed lol) and how do we sign up for a massage? Oh and which beach?

Again thank you so much forth is amazing review!!!!

You're welcome! Nothing wrong with too many tours, so your friends will get over it. LOL Ziplining is something else I've wanted to do for a long time. I really considered it this cruise, but it is a bit pricey and had to cut that out. The massage was pretty good. I honestly have no idea if she was licensed or not. :o Because she was on a resort property, I would guess she was. I got a beach massage in Cozumel a few years ago that put me to sleep. Tell your friend not to be too skeptical. She'll enjoy it. :)

How long did it take to hear back from Beulah and Welcome Tours? I used their contact us form but never heard anything back. Maybe I should re-submit it?

I heard back from Beulah after a day or two. I don't think you need to resubmit it. She'll definitely get back to you. :) I can't wait to email her and tell her how many people have booked her tour from this review!

I got this from my VIFP account: board: Carnival Valor

Stateroom #: 2462 (Outside, 6B)

Loved Loved LOVED this room. The bed faced the windows, which were NOT portholes. The desk was to the right & the closets & bathroom to the left. IIRC, I also had a small chair & table in the room as well. It was perfect for 1 person, although 2 could fit in there if they were a couple. I don't think the bed could be separated into twins.

I'll have to go look up this room! Thanks!

I called her at the number on the website this morning to book a tour. She answered and was very pleasant over the phone. She sent me a confirmation email within 2 hours.

Awesome! :D