On The Magic this week!

mnovak61

This has to be one of the most deserted ports we have ever been to. If you are coming on The Magic make sure you have an excursion booked for Montego Bay or you are better off just relaxing on the ship. All of the storefronts here in the port are empty because all of the business has moved to Falmouth. The hop on hop off bus service her costs $19.00 pp (no way!). The Magic is the ONLY ship that ports here all week and it is just not worth it anymore for the little businesses. Carnival should really think about moving this port of call over to Falmouth like the rest of the cruise lines have! We came back onboard after about an hour of walking around a little straw market where all of the vendors sell the exact things at all their tables. Now I am taking my own advice and just chillin' by the pool!

Good to know! Dh, myself, and oldest dd will be ziplining, but everyone else is hanging out on the ship. Kind of a waste of a port. :rolleyes:

Was the ropes course open while in Galveston? If not, what time did it open? Is there a new roomservice menu on the Magic? Thanks for anserwing questions and have a great cruise.

The ropes were open in Galveston. But we had such high winds. It seemed to be closed everyday except in Grand Cayman. So I would do it as soon as you can.

The room service menu was very basic.

Enjoy your cruise.

The first night we were at a table for 8 with some oriental people who didn't speak english so we asked the maitre'd if we could switch tables and he had us all set for the second night.

Thanks for all the good info on the Magic. :cool:

Oh and as a matter of being sensitive/courteous to others: Rugs and furniture are oriental, People are asian ;)

Enjoy the rest of your trip. :)

Which pool do you like to chill by, the Beach pool or Tides pool?

The beach pool has the big screen tv and the music during the day. The tides pool at the aft end is more of a quite place to relax. We usually hang by the beach pool! They have Dive In Movies there at night and a couple concert movies in the afternoon.

Looking at the Aft Cam there's not much going on at the pool.

It was closed yesterday while we were in Montego Bay and today while in Grand Cayman the crew were doing a life raft drill in that pool.

Thanks for all the good info on the Magic. :cool:

Oh and as a matter of being sensitive/courteous to others: Rugs and furniture are oriental, People are asian ;)

Enjoy the rest of your trip. :)

Sorry! Don't mean to offend anyone.

Thank you for taking time from your vacation and answering all the questions!

Another question: Is it still possible to book another cruise while on the ship? In order to get the friends and family certificates?

We were in Grand Cayman yesterday and we did the Deluxe Stingray city excursion through Carnival. This was $52 through Carnival and when I looked up prices on Marineland Tours website to try to book this independently and they were advertising their price as $54. I e-mailed them to make sure this was correct but I never heard back from them so we went with Carnival. They took us over to their marina by little trolley car buses to board the boat The Cayman Explorer. It was a very nice newer boat with 2 bathrooms onboard and a cash bar. The stairs on this boat are the whole width of the back end and they lower all the way down to the sandbar. It is very easy to get on and off this boat. The tour was very well run with the 2 guides giving us all the info on the sandbar and the sting rays. Everybody got to hold and kiss the stingrays (7 years good luck). We were in the water for about an hour and we had a BLAST. It is about 20 minutes each way on the boat and then they brought us back to the port. The port has lots of shopping and all along the street right across from there. A little hint here.....Grand Cayman is very expensive! Save your shopping money for Cozumel!

Check out post # 14 and that was from the fun hub kiosk.

Oh My! I can not believe I missed that,

and only two down from when I asked.

Thanks you so much for the information.

All of this while on vacating, you are a true geek,

in my world, which you are all a guest in, you are tops.

:D

We board in just over a week. How has the ride been, any rough seas? Is the worst when you are sailing South from Galveston? What's the mix of people like - college kids, adults, families, kids, etc.?

We are now on the way back to Galveston and we have not had any rough seas at all. The weather ALL WEEK has been perfect! 80s and sunny in each port. The mix of people on board this week consisted mostly of people from Texas who are close to Galveston and able to drive to the port. There were a few college springbreakers but all seemed to be with their families and there were no rowdy groups. There are some families with small children as well. We are on the upper end of our 40s and we had no problem with meeting people this cruise. Have a great time on YOUR cruise!

Oh My! I can not believe I missed that,

and only two down from when I asked.

Thanks you so much for the information.

All of this while on vacating, you are a true geek,

in my world, which you are all a guest in, you are tops.

:D

Thanks for the kind words! I hope those numbers mean something to you because I really have no idea what they mean. I just know the internet here is a little slower than I am used to at home but it works just fine for keeping in touch with our kids and other family. It sure beats making phone calls form the ship for $1.99 a minute! (from your room phone through Carnival)

][/color]We are cruising on The Magic this week and I wanted to get some things in writing before I forget about them. We flew into Houston and took the shuttle transportation to Galveston provided by Carnival. That was the worst part of the Vacation. Carnival has 2 kids there at the airport to help out the shuttle passengers and they have no idea whats going on or how to keep people informed. We arrived at about 9am and we had to wait around in the Baggage claim area until the 1st bus showed up at around 11am. The kids called out a list of about 20 names (of which we were not on) and said that was all they could take on this bus and everyone else had to waitfor the next bus that would be there in about an hour. No way buddy! We walked out withe the people whose names were called and put our luggage on the bus and boarded like we were supposed to be there. Oh man what a mistake! This bus just wreaked from the toilet being flooded. On the trip to Galveston the bus driver kept saying that it wasn't his fault and it smelled because a kid got sick and didn't quite make it to the bathroom at the back of the bus. Come on! The driver should have cleaned it up or taken it to be cleaned by someone else before letting any passengers back on board. Thank goodness he had a heavy right foot and it only took about an hour to make it to Galveston. The porters take the luggage off the bus and you don't touch it again until it gets to your room. We arrived at the port at around 12:15pm and boarding was quick and painless. I am glad I did not spend the extra $50 for FTTF. It would have not been worth it for us! We were on the ship before 1pm and our room was ready for us. We have a Spa Interior room 11242 and it is very nice. It was the same price a a regular interior at the time we booked and we took a shot. You get a couple of little perks in the spa like there Giant hot tub. That spa package would have been $250 per couple for the week if purchased on the ship. The Magic is a beautiful ship! Probably the cleanest ship we have been on (12 Cruises) and nicely decorated. OK Guy's that about all the rambling on for now. Wait just a few quick tips first.... The soda cards do get charged $6.93 tax for 2 cards even after we sailed away from Galveston, and if you want to go to 1 of the late night comedy shows you need to be there 30 to 45 minutes early to get in line or you won't get a seat. The Dive In movies at night by the pool are pretty cool too. Blankets and popcorn are provided!

Fire away if you have any questions or want me to check something for you this week!

We are going on the Magic in May & looking for camp carnival fun times for 6-8 yr olds. If you see any can you grab one & post it when you get home? We have been searching but haven't been able to find any posted yet. Thanks....

I would love to know if the transfer back to the airport was any better.

Much Better! After you get your luggage and clear customs you check in with the charter company and they fill the busses on a first come first served basis. We were on the bus by 10am and back to the airport and checked in at 11:30am for our 4pm flight. Got to check out The United Club at the airport and it was a very nice place to wait for our flight!

What did everybody do while on shore, I am taking a group of 18 years olds and want to give the best for there money

Which port are you wondering about? Cozumel was the nicest stop, and I think that is where you will get the most for your money! I will post some thoughts about Cozumel later tonight. Sorry it took so long to finish this up but it was a real tough week coming back from our vacation and I really haven't had time yet to sit still long enough to put stuff in writing.

We are going on the Magic in May & looking for camp carnival fun times for 6-8 yr olds. If you see any can you grab one & post it when you get home? We have been searching but haven't been able to find any posted yet. Thanks....

I just wanted to jump in and say hi. I did a giant double-take when I saw your screen name. I lived in LP when I was in high school (Agua Fria '83) and my parents are still there. Along with my sister and her family, we're taking my parents on the Magic in June to celebrate their 50th. It will be our second trip on the Magic, and my parents' first (my dad's first cruise ever).

Anyway, have a great trip in May!!!

ETA: You're kids are going to LOVE the Magic. There is so much for them to do. Between Camp Carnival, the water slides, mini-golf, the ropes course, the pools - they will be EXHAUSTED every night from so much fun. You all are going to have a blast.

I just wanted to jump in and say hi. I did a giant double-take when I saw your screen name. I lived in LP when I was in high school (Agua Fria '83) and my parents are still there. Along with my sister and her family, we're taking my parents on the Magic in June to celebrate their 50th. It will be our second trip on the Magic, and my parents' first (my dad's first cruise ever).

Anyway, have a great trip in May!!!

ETA: You're kids are going to LOVE the Magic. There is so much for them to do. Between Camp Carnival, the water slides, mini-golf, the ropes course, the pools - they will be EXHAUSTED every night from so much fun. You all are going to have a blast.

That is so funny....I have a sister that lives in TX...We have a daughter that graduated from Agua Fria....

Archived