On The Magic this week!

mnovak61

][/color]We are cruising on The Magic this week and I wanted to get some things in writing before I forget about them. We flew into Houston and took the shuttle transportation to Galveston provided by Carnival. That was the worst part of the Vacation. Carnival has 2 kids there at the airport to help out the shuttle passengers and they have no idea whats going on or how to keep people informed. We arrived at about 9am and we had to wait around in the Baggage claim area until the 1st bus showed up at around 11am. The kids called out a list of about 20 names (of which we were not on) and said that was all they could take on this bus and everyone else had to waitfor the next bus that would be there in about an hour. No way buddy! We walked out withe the people whose names were called and put our luggage on the bus and boarded like we were supposed to be there. Oh man what a mistake! This bus just wreaked from the toilet being flooded. On the trip to Galveston the bus driver kept saying that it wasn't his fault and it smelled because a kid got sick and didn't quite make it to the bathroom at the back of the bus. Come on! The driver should have cleaned it up or taken it to be cleaned by someone else before letting any passengers back on board. Thank goodness he had a heavy right foot and it only took about an hour to make it to Galveston. The porters take the luggage off the bus and you don't touch it again until it gets to your room. We arrived at the port at around 12:15pm and boarding was quick and painless. I am glad I did not spend the extra $50 for FTTF. It would have not been worth it for us! We were on the ship before 1pm and our room was ready for us. We have a Spa Interior room 11242 and it is very nice. It was the same price a a regular interior at the time we booked and we took a shot. You get a couple of little perks in the spa like there Giant hot tub. That spa package would have been $250 per couple for the week if purchased on the ship. The Magic is a beautiful ship! Probably the cleanest ship we have been on (12 Cruises) and nicely decorated. OK Guy's that about all the rambling on for now. Wait just a few quick tips first.... The soda cards do get charged $6.93 tax for 2 cards even after we sailed away from Galveston, and if you want to go to 1 of the late night comedy shows you need to be there 30 to 45 minutes early to get in line or you won't get a seat. The Dive In movies at night by the pool are pretty cool too. Blankets and popcorn are provided!

Fire away if you have any questions or want me to check something for you this week!

Was the ropes course open while in Galveston? If not, what time did it open? Is there a new roomservice menu on the Magic? Thanks for anserwing questions and have a great cruise.

Hi Guys

Some answers to your questions so far....Serenity deck is very nice but again you fall victim to the chair hogs here too! It looks like THE place to hang out on sea days even though it does get a little windy up there. I don't know the hours on the pools or hot tubs but I will check that out for you. Ropes course has been closed on our sea days so far due to the winds and I don't know if it was open while we were in Galveston, sorry. Internet package is a pretty good deal I think compared to other cruises I have been on. 2 packages 1-$39.99 for the whole cruise for basic internet speed at any Fun Station and on 1 mobile device for wifi. This is the one we chose and we have our laptop connected and we can use it outside or in the room. They said some places on the ship get a better signal than others but we have been good so far. 2- is $99 for the entire cruise and it includes high speed internet access for unlimited devices and use of there Fun Station kiosks. I don't know how much better the high speed access is but the basic service is just fine fo e-mails and surfing the web.

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like an awful transfer from the airport! :eek: Glad I'm not going that route!

Can you share anything about the other shows? Like do you need to line up that early to get into those too?

What type of dining did you choose? Early? Late? ATD?

][/color]We are cruising on The Magic this week and I wanted to get some things in writing before I forget about them. We flew into Houston and took the shuttle transportation to Galveston provided by Carnival. That was the worst part of the Vacation. Carnival has 2 kids there at the airport to help out the shuttle passengers and they have no idea whats going on or how to keep people informed. We arrived at about 9am and we had to wait around in the Baggage claim area until the 1st bus showed up at around 11am. The kids called out a list of about 20 names (of which we were not on) and said that was all they could take on this bus and everyone else had to waitfor the next bus that would be there in about an hour. No way buddy! We walked out withe the people whose names were called and put our luggage on the bus and boarded like we were supposed to be there. Oh man what a mistake! This bus just wreaked from the toilet being flooded. On the trip to Galveston the bus driver kept saying that it wasn't his fault and it smelled because a kid got sick and didn't quite make it to the bathroom at the back of the bus. Come on! The driver should have cleaned it up or taken it to be cleaned by someone else before letting any passengers back on board. Thank goodness he had a heavy right foot and it only took about an hour to make it to Galveston. The porters take the luggage off the bus and you don't touch it again until it gets to your room. We arrived at the port at around 12:15pm and boarding was quick and painless. I am glad I did not spend the extra $50 for FTTF. It would have not been worth it for us! We were on the ship before 1pm and our room was ready for us. We have a Spa Interior room 11242 and it is very nice. It was the same price a a regular interior at the time we booked and we took a shot. You get a couple of little perks in the spa like there Giant hot tub. That spa package would have been $250 per couple for the week if purchased on the ship. The Magic is a beautiful ship! Probably the cleanest ship we have been on (12 Cruises) and nicely decorated. OK Guy's that about all the rambling on for now. Wait just a few quick tips first.... The soda cards do get charged $6.93 tax for 2 cards even after we sailed away from Galveston, and if you want to go to 1 of the late night comedy shows you need to be there 30 to 45 minutes early to get in line or you won't get a seat. The Dive In movies at night by the pool are pretty cool too. Blankets and popcorn are provided!

Fire away if you have any questions or want me to check something for you this week!

DH and I are on the same cruise. We also have a Spa Interior room, and love the extra perk of the Thermal Suite Pass for the week.

We didn't make the first bus, and it sounds like it was a good thing. We left some unhappy people behind at the airport that were waiting on transfers. We didn't get on board until after 2, so I would hate to think how long it took them!

Was the ropes course open while in Galveston? If not, what time did it open? Is there a new roomservice menu on the Magic? Thanks for anserwing questions and have a great cruise.

When we sailed on the Magic, the ropes course was open in Galveston. My daughter and I were able to go twice through the course after lunch because no one else was waiting. I highly recommend trying it then if it's a "must do" for you because it was closed during most of the day on sea days because of the winds and even sometimes in port, and we did not have especially windy weather. We did manage to go on it one more time during the week. My eight-year-old and I loved it. It was just scary enough for her.

Room service is 24 hrs and no extra charge. You order through your TV in your room. They have cold sandwiches - Tuna, Turkey, Ham and cheese,

PB&J, BLT, Shrimp Salad, Mozz and Mushroom, and Roast Beef. Hot sandwiches-Grilled cheese, reuben, Chicken fajita, and pastrami on rye. Salads, Vegetable sticks w/blue cheese. Desserts are NY Cheese cake, cookies, chocolate cake, fresh fruit salad, and strawberry yogurt. Juices, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and milk (chocolate and skim). They are all no extra charge.

One other thing people on CC talk about is getting free cappucinno or latte after dinner in the dining room. I don't know how long ago they started to charge for this but it now costs $3.00

Could you go to www.speedtest.net and see what the numbers are?

:rolleyes:

The speedtest says 0.27 download speed and 0.10 upload speed. It also says that the server is in Kansas (and we are in Montego Bay, Jamaica right now) so I don't know how much reliability I would put on these numbers!

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like an awful transfer from the airport! :eek: Glad I'm not going that route!

Can you share anything about the other shows? Like do you need to line up that early to get into those too?

What type of dining did you choose? Early? Late? ATD?

There are no lines for the other shows. The showroom is open so it is first com first served on the seating, except for the chair hogs again who like to save a whole row of seats with 2 people.

We have early dining (which is at 6pm). The first night we were at a table for 8 with some oriental people who didn't speak english so we asked the maitre'd if we could switch tables and he had us all set for the second night. A table of 12 right in the cebter of the dining room!

When we sailed on the Magic, the ropes course was open in Galveston. My daughter and I were able to go twice through the course after lunch because no one else was waiting. I highly recommend trying it then if it's a "must do" for you because it was closed during most of the day on sea days because of the winds and even sometimes in port, and we did not have especially windy weather. We did manage to go on it one more time during the week. My eight-year-old and I loved it. It was just scary enough for her.

I will make plans to go while in Galveston. Last year we waited until Mid- week and the line was pretty long. BUT, it was well worth the wait. We cruise in summer so wind in normally not an issue.

Room service is 24 hrs and no extra charge. You order through your TV in your room. They have cold sandwiches - Tuna, Turkey, Ham and cheese,

PB&J, BLT, Shrimp Salad, Mozz and Mushroom, and Roast Beef. Hot sandwiches-Grilled cheese, reuben, Chicken fajita, and pastrami on rye. Salads, Vegetable sticks w/blue cheese. Desserts are NY Cheese cake, cookies, chocolate cake, fresh fruit salad, and strawberry yogurt. Juices, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and milk (chocolate and skim). They are all no extra charge.

One other thing people on CC talk about is getting free cappucinno or latte after dinner in the dining room. I don't know how long ago they started to charge for this but it now costs $3.00

I dont recall a "hot" grill cheese last year. Ham and cheese or just cheese? That would be great. Thanks!

Hi Guys

Some answers to your questions so far....Serenity deck is very nice but again you fall victim to the chair hogs here too! It looks like THE place to hang out on sea days even though it does get a little windy up there. I don't know the hours on the pools or hot tubs but I will check that out for you. Ropes course has been closed on our sea days so far due to the winds and I don't know if it was open while we were in Galveston, sorry. Internet package is a pretty good deal I think compared to other cruises I have been on. 2 packages 1-$39.99 for the whole cruise for basic internet speed at any Fun Station and on 1 mobile device for wifi. This is the one we chose and we have our laptop connected and we can use it outside or in the room. They said some places on the ship get a better signal than others but we have been good so far. 2- is $99 for the entire cruise and it includes high speed internet access for unlimited devices and use of there Fun Station kiosks. I don't know how much better the high speed access is but the basic service is just fine fo e-mails and surfing the web.

Is the internet an unlimited package? Thank you for these day by day updates!! So great!

Basic Internet $39.99 for unlimited use on 1 Mobile device or laptop and all the fun hubs around the ship. $99.99 unlimited HIGH SPEED internet with unlimited mobile devices and fun hubs around the ship. We got the basic package and is is fast enough for just doing e-mails!

Yes there is a band in the evening in Ocean Plaza and they are very good. The singer has a very nice voice. During the day they have all the different trivia games in Ocean Plaza. They also have a band in the lobby on deck 3 and they are a Phillipino band. Good but not as good as the band in Ocean Plaza. There is a piano bar all the way in the back on deck 5 next to where they have the comedy shows but haven't checked it out yet. They have a singer guitar player in the Red Frog pub and he is very good also!

This has to be one of the most deserted ports we have ever been to. If you are coming on The Magic make sure you have an excursion booked for Montego Bay or you are better off just relaxing on the ship. All of the storefronts here in the port are empty because all of the business has moved to Falmouth. The hop on hop off bus service her costs $19.00 pp (no way!). The Magic is the ONLY ship that ports here all week and it is just not worth it anymore for the little businesses. Carnival should really think about moving this port of call over to Falmouth like the rest of the cruise lines have! We came back onboard after about an hour of walking around a little straw market where all of the vendors sell the exact things at all their tables. Now I am taking my own advice and just chillin' by the pool!

Archived