Permission forms for other adults to return child to the ship?

hal2000

We will be going on a cruise this summer with various grandparents. For the most part, my husband and/or I will be with the kids [certainly for all travel and the original boarding], but if we're out in port one day, do we need any special permission for a grandparent to return to the ship early with one or both kids?

(I'm tempted to get a notarized letter giving the grandparents permission to make medical etc. decisions just as a safety precaution, but I don't know if there is any official form that we should be looking at.)

Thank you!

They couldn't care less who brings the kids back on board as long as everyone has their own boarding ID.

I'll never forget when we took our then 5 YO grandson on a cruise LA to Vancouver with a stop in Victoria. He REALLY didn't want to get off the ship in Victoria. He cried, he screamed, he sobbed heavily saying, NO NO I DON'T WANT TO GO WITH YOU!.... Yup right past the immigration guy at the pier. Then he cried when we took the excursion that sailed past the ship. Then when we told him we were packing because in the morning we were getting off the ship so he wouldn't go to sleep so he didn't have to get off. NOPE, they didn't arrest us or even ask why we were taking this young child off the ship yelling NO NO. :D It seriously cracks me up every time when I think how we walked past security and they simply didn't care.

The notarized letter referred to on here is for children traveling with only one parent or no parents. It is required at boarding & can be required by customs/immigration officials.

My understanding is that you have to specify which adults can pick up a child from children's programs. Other than that the ship's personnel doesn't care if a child is in the care of parents, grandparents, friends, etc. just remember to send the kid's cruise card/sign & sail card with them to get back on the ship.

Our DD is only 2 & spends a lot of time with grandparents. Each set of grandparents has a letter (not notarized) authorizing them to get medical or dental care for DD. We also keep a copy in the diaper bag. You could give the grandparents a letter like that to keep with them, but there isn't a form to file with cruise lines for this. On our upcoming cruise DD will be spending time with grandparents without us (on & possibly off the ship). We don't plan on doing anything special (letters, etc.) or this.

The notarized letter referred to on here is for children traveling with only one parent or no parents. It is required at boarding & can be required by customs/immigration officials.

Actually, I believe the OP is referring to getting a notarized letter for medical treatment, not traveling with the kids. It is never a bad idea to have that letter (I have one for when I babysit the kids on weekends).

For getting on and off the ship after the initial boarding the cruise line doesn't care who they board or leave with, only that they are passengers.

That said I have had to show my permission to travel letter several times to customs/immigration at the beginning and end of cruises. Being paranoid that I'll have missed something I take the letter, the child's passport and a copy of both parents passport to prove their signature. I also make sure they are near a phone when I will be checking in. I've crossed a lot of borders and really don't want to be stuck there.

Actually you are referring to a "Permission to Treat" form - example found here

http://www.yourcareyukon.com/uploads/consent_form_to_treat_minor.pdf

So if I am understanding this correctly - you want to leave a "Permission to Treat" form with the Grandparents while in port in case anything happens medically to your child?

And as far as getting back ON the ship - no - the port officials that first check the ID - they don't care if your child is with grandparents. But your child will need their sea pass to get back onboard.

Thank you everyone! I hadn't quite realized that I was asking about two separate things when I posted (I was initially thinking of just getting on the ship, and then segued mentally to being on the ship, but as I read your answers I realized that those are different issues.). I'm glad to know that there won't be a problem with returning to the ship, and we'll make sure to bring copies of the permission form for medical treatment as well.

Archived