Anyone do Celebrity Tour - CA08?

globalhoneymooning

We typically do private tours but debating whether to go with Dora or the Celebrity Tour (description below) since it goes inside the Fortress and Palace, whereas Dora has these listed as photo stops. Any feedback on which sites are must see? Pricing is similar.

Celebrity CA08 - Deluxe Cartegena & Fortress

Experience the magic of Cartagena and visit the highlights of the city, make your way inside San Felipe Fortress, built in the 17th century, is the largest work of Spanish Military engineering in South America. Las Bovedas Artisan Center is next, built as dungeons and as a means of storage, today local artisans display their work there.

Visit the Inquisition Palace which served as headquarters to the Court of the Holy Inquisition, inside this building you can see samples of jails and torture chambers, the sentencing ceremony used to take place in public, in the middle of the plaza. Wander the narrow cobblestone streets and squares inside the walled city and walk to the majestic San Pedro Claver´s Sanctuary built to honor the missionary Saint Peter Claver, the patron saint of slaves, discover a plethora of exquisite statues and old-world furnishings.

Enjoy some emerald, leather and handicraft shopping at Pierino Gallo shopping center before returning to the ship. Note: The sightseeing portion in the old town requires extended periods of walking and standing.

i think it depends on what's important to you. i really wanted to see the inside of the palace, and that greatly influenced my decision to go with the ship's tour (i was on princess). i am really glad we got to walk up into the fortress and walk around it as well as go inside some of the old tunnels within it. the walk in was kind of steep, my husband and i are in our 20's/30's and didn't have a problem, but a few of the older couples that were out of shape were definitely sweating. i wouldn't have been happy with just stopping outside these places for 5 minutes to take a couple of pictures.

we were lucky that our princess tour group wasn't that big, less than 20 people.

i think it's small group with a private tour vs. going inside with the ship's tour that might include a bigger group and it comes down to what's important to you.

have fun in colombia!

Archived