Need Help planning -- Denali Tours & Fairbanks

SunnyinDC

Thanks all...

Budget Queen, trying to talk husband into your plan. Not much interest in the McKinley Lodge area. Denali is what I am most interested in. I need to understand your suggestion fully. In the meantime I had called Princess directly and found out we were indeed unable to do the TWT. I also have the times for each day.

Sat., May 25 ..... arrive Denali Lodge, 6:15 pm

Sun., May 26 ..... leave Lodge, 2 pm ..... arrive McKinley, 4:30

Mon., May 27 .....leave Lodge, 2 pm ..... arrive Anchorage/Seward, Capt. Cook Hotel

So, are you saying, stay Sun. and then rejoin on Mon. ?

Thank you for helping me...Barbara

Yes, I am suggesting you spend your two nights at Denali. This gives you two days to enjoy the park and get to Toklat. If you choose the train to catch up it will be $242- for 2. Bus service would be less, listings http://www.anchorage.net

In Alaska- you can NOT count on exact times, especially with the park shuttle buses. I've been on some that went 30-60 minutes past the "time". So, as I aready mentioned- if you are willing to take a significant risk- you "may" return in time from the first Toklat shuttle. This would also involve you moving quickly and knowing exactly where the return pick up is, time of the pick up etc, assuming the bus arrives back timely.

After your Anchorage overnight- if you have an overnight flight home- make good use of your time, with plans of your interests. A car rental will offer you the most, with scenic driving, glacier trekking, or a PWS boat tour can get included transportation from Anchorage. You may also be able to hook up with a roll car person- split a car and touring.

budget 50% more for food than you would at home on your cruisetour.

Budget Queen......unfortunately we are going to stay with what we have. The anxiety changing the plan would have on my husband is just not worth it, he is too much of a worrier. Oh well! Just want to thank you and not take up any of your time with something that is not going to happen. We might just have to come back!

Barbara

PS .... used to live downstate from you in Orange County, NY.

This is too bad. I'm sorry you are going to miss Denali.

Archived