Pool Question

Super89

We are going on our first cruise on the Miracle in August. Our 16 year old daughter is going with us and has heard that some of the ships have salt water pools which she has never seen and is not thrilled about. We explained that it would be the same, just as clean, just salt water. Could someone please tell me if the pools are fresh water, salt, or a mixture of both? Thanks ;)

We are going on our first cruise on the Miracle in August. Our 16 year old daughter is going with us and has heard that some of the ships have salt water pools which she has never seen and is not thrilled about. We explained that it would be the same, just as clean, just salt water. Could someone please tell me if the pools are fresh water, salt, or a mixture of both? Thanks ;)

All Carnival ships have salt water pools.

WHy would your daughter not be thrilled about it.. the water although salt water will still be crystal clear..not murkey like she sees on tv. Up here in NJ at the shores the sea water is a murkey brown-- its not like that on a cruise.

Please tell her not to place a judgement call on it until she sees it and tries it out..

guess what--the hot tubs are salt water too. and they are awesome.

we have a salt water pool in our back yard. We use to use chlorine but I really like the salt water. It is so much easier on the skin and eyes.

Ditto...we also have a salt water pool. It is not like some of the murky Atlantic Ocean water she may be invisioning. Much better than chlorine.

Ditto...we also have a salt water pool..

How does one control the waves?:eek:

Speaking of chlorine vs Bromine, I use something attached to the filter called a "Nature 2" water purification system, where I can use a much lower level of Chlorine, and you get sparkling clear water. It merely a module with a cartridge attached to the return filter, and it traps bacteria and algae naturally.

Reduces the need for chlorine 50 to 80%. And the water sparkles!

i have a "salt water" pool and hot tub and i live in florida so i have both fresh water and salt water places to swim/ski/sun & fun within minutes or at most an hour... but it's still nice to have your own pool and hot tub in the back yard... :)

also, when you hear "salt water" pool it's not what you might think... not as salty as the ocean... and the system is called salt water generation... and it is so much easier on the eyes, skin and hair for those approx 10% of the population who have big trouble with chlorine irritation... and also, for those who worry about it NOT being clean because there are no chemicals remember that there ARE chemicals... when the sun shines on salt water chlorine is a natural byproduct... or so they tell me... :D

http://community.webshots.com/user/sgtmonz

Thanks everyone for your quick response. We live in Massachusetts, so she is used to the cold sometimes murky water here. We told her not to worry that it won't be dirty or have seaweed or fish in it!! I think she was just envisioning the water coming in from the ocean with everything that goes along with it!:rolleyes: I actually am glad because the chlorine turns my hair green and dries out my skin terribly! Thanks again. Susan

is the Water real cold?? do they heat the water or is it just cold like the ocean.

Depends on your location in the ocean, and yes, some pools are heated. It's not consistant. Last month, on the Legend, the aft pool was heated real warm, only one day.

The middle pool was heated slightly.

Two years ago on the Pride, the front pool was always heated.

Last year, on the Miracle, the pools were just outright hot. It was summer, and I wish they were COOLED!

I learned on my 1st cruise NOT to shave in the morning & then go jump in the pool...YEOWWW!

Now I shave in the evenings...problem solved.

Live & learn

Now there is a tip !!!!!! what a great idea.....

Where does one get the salt water for their salt water pool? The ocean? I live in Florida and have never seen or heard of anyone that has one of these pools? Ours was a regular chlorinated pool.

These pools are becoming very popular here in the Houston area. We have friends that have one. From what I understand, they use salt pellets, like you put in a water softener. I've never been in one of these pools, but I'm told they're not as salty as the ocean. Supposedly, they are much less expensive because you don't need all the different chemicals, and it's not as hard on your skin, hair, bathing suits, etc.

Where does one get the salt water for their salt water pool? The ocean? I live in Florida and have never seen or heard of anyone that has one of these pools? Ours was a regular chlorinated pool.

We moved to FL in 1998 and it was very popular, even then! It is a system that has to be installed. You fill the pool with "regular" water from the spigot, add the proper amount of salt (available in huge bags from the pool store), and the system machinery converts the salt to the proper pH for the pool. The pH is the same as the pH in your eyes! Extremely clean and healthy and VERY low maintenance.

Archived