America's Cup and Maho Beach

ccm02339

Hi everyone,

We have decided to go on the America's Cup with our kids 15 boy and 12 girl. I am looking at timing we can book either 9 or 10:!5.

With teenagers I am thinking about the 1015, is this advisable?

I would also like to head over to Maho Beach afterward to see a plane or two. Can someone offer advice on how to best get over there, and what timing we need to plan for?

We are sailing the Epic so will be in port on April 16 from 8-6. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Can't help you with that, but we always do the America's Cup. We looked into the best times for the wind, and find the afternoon is best to go. I think we usually go at 1???

We also wanted to do both, but since the winds are best at that time, it's the same time as when the planes land. I think around 2-3?

You will enjoy the America's Cup! They give everyone a job to do as well.

I'm still trying to figure this all out. We'll probably just end up doing the AC again.

The traffic in the afternoon is bad. So give yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship as well.

To do both, morning is probably the best. If there's light wind, they'll motor some or shorten the course. Word of caution here if doing this with teens and tweens...unless they've sailed before and/or are interested in the racing aspect of sailing, it may be boring for them. AC isn't a leisurely tour of the bay. Yes, people are assigned "jobs" but the working jobs of grinder and sail trimmer usually require a bit of muscle. Other "jobs" aren't really exciting. The hired crew steers the boat and changes the sails.

After docking at the AC dock, unless you really want to buy the Tee, step out to the main street and grab a taxi to Maho, Sunset Bar. Watch a plane or two then look for a taxi to get back before the bar crowd starts departing.

Archived