Nassau: RIU Day Pass ... Worth the money?

Indy_Cindy

Not cruising til August but since I'm a newbie, I'm concerned about how to spend my time in Nassau, knowing the ship will be docked there from 7am til midnight.

I'm considering a tour offered by the ship, in order to see some of what the island has to offer but since we're going to be there all day, I thought perhaps we should arrange to spend some beach time as well.

The RIU Day Pass seems to be a good deal to me, particularly since they have included beach & pool access, buffet and a free open bar.

A few questions ...

How to get there from the ship?

Is the water at the beach suitable for snorkeling?

How about the variety of drinks available in the "free open bar"? Would frozen cocktails be available?

(It's an interesting idea since I'll be traveling with my 20 year old daughter, who wouldn't normally be old enough to drink anything alcoholic ... and yet their web site indicates the free open bar is for those 18 and up.)

How about the types of food offered in the buffet? Island? International?

We've gone there twice so we must have thought it was worth it. :)

Answers below:

A few questions ...

How to get there from the ship?

Take a taxi - $4 a person plus tip. You'll be sharing a van with people going to Atlantis and Cabbage Beach. On the way back, you can pick up a cab right outside the hotel. It costs more to get back to the ship since you'll have the taxi to yourselves.

Is the water at the beach suitable for snorkeling?

No. It can be very rough, barely suitable for swimming. But it's very pretty.

How about the variety of drinks available in the "free open bar"? Would frozen cocktails be available?

You can order whatever you want, including frozen drinks. The mud slides were great. :) There is a swim-up bar by the pool, a bar in the lobby and a sports bar.

(It's an interesting idea since I'll be traveling with my 20 year old daughter, who wouldn't normally be old enough to drink anything alcoholic ... and yet their web site indicates the free open bar is for those 18 and up.)

Drinking age in the Bahamas is 18.

How about the types of food offered in the buffet? Island? International?

I can't remember all the foods they had in the buffet but it was a good variety. Burgers, ribs, soup, pastas, salads, desserts, ice cream, etc. The food was decent.

the wyndham has day passes as well. when we went several years ago they cost $45 pp. comes with a free buffet access to the beach which was nice, their pools. one has a nice water slide. no free drinks though. we just took the # 10 jetty. cost like $1.50 pp each way.

the wyndham has day passes as well. when we went several years ago they cost $45 pp. comes with a free buffet access to the beach which was nice, their pools. one has a nice water slide. no free drinks though. we just took the # 10 jetty. cost like $1.50 pp each way.

This day pass is not longer available.. they now offer a day pass for $25pp.. but it does not include food or beverage.

Since this property is in the midst of reconstruction, the buffett/cafe is closed.

but you can still get food at the outdoor grill.

#10 jitney is $1.25pp. Will drop you a block from the front entrance on the new highway.

How much is a day pass?

Thanks!

I've put down a deposit ... and this is in the email I got in return:

"Your day pass has everything you could possibly want for your day in Paradise, all you can eat and drink, along with a beautiful beach and swimming pool. A buffet breakfast is served daily in the Atlantic Restaurant until 11:00am, the Bahamas Restaurant serves a buffet lunch from noon until 5:00pm & the 24 Sports Bar provides a fun setting for those wanting to enjoy kick back & watch your favorite sport. The pool offers a swim up bar for those wanting to sip a tasty tropical cocktail while cooling off in the water. The restaurants offer indoor seating as well as dining on the terrace where you can take in the view of the beautiful ocean.

The resort is easy to get to from your cruise ship port by taxi. A taxi will cost you approximately $12.00 for 2 people and takes 20 minutes to get to from the cruise ship port.

This exclusive all inclusive day pass is priced at $75.00 USD per adult and $60.00 for teenagers ages 12 to 17yrs and $50.00 USD for children 3 to 11yrs of age, children 2 and under are free. Teenagers must be accompanied by an adult. Towels are available for your use, please note that a deposit of $20.00 is required which is fully refunded when you turn in your towel at the end of the day. The day pass is available between the hours of 9:00am and 5:00pm. All Guests must present ID upon check in.

For the comfort of the resort guests and our valued cruise ship clients, we have limited the sale of our day pass program to 30 passes per day thus ensuring comfort and enjoyment for everyone. After spending one day at this incredible resort, you will want to return and stay longer!"

• 3 weeks later...

We were at RIU on March 19th. We really enjoyed it. My husband really enjoyed the snorkeling there. The drinks were good, but you did have to go get them yourself. The lounge chairs were comfortable and included in the price of the day pass. It showered briefly while we were there so we hung out at the sports bar. Very friendly bartender who was very attentive. The buffet was pretty good, I was glad to see plenty of choices for a vegetarian.:)

My only complaint--too many venders. I really got tired of being asked if I wanted to jet ski. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Are all the restaurants included in the day pass indoors? Are there any burger/sandwich type places included.

Also,would anyone know the price range for jet ski rentals? We are probably going to do this in august and i know i will be paying for jetskis with teens.

Thanks for any help.

Are all the restaurants included in the day pass indoors? Are there any burger/sandwich type places included.

Also,would anyone know the price range for jet ski rentals? We are probably going to do this in august and i know i will be paying for jetskis with teens.

Thanks for any help.

The only restaurant open at lunch is the buffet. They did have burgers though.

• 1 month later...
We were at RIU on March 19th. We really enjoyed it. My husband really enjoyed the snorkeling there. (

Was the snorkeling equipment included?

What are the hours included for AI day pass? I'm there overnight so no in a rush.

Thanks for any help.

Jetskis start at $80 per 30mins but can be negotiated down to $60.

You need to be a licensed driver, they are not toys for teens.

These are independent unregualted and uninsured vendors. The are is crowded with vehicles and swimmer and the surf can be rough. We have serious accidents here on a regular basis, some fatal. this is no place for kids to jetski.

As a parent, I would never allow my kids to jetski in this congested area.

Hotels put up signs that the are not responsible for these vendors. The Gov't has been trying to shut them down for years.

where can you get sandals for $75... it's usually $110?

We are planning to go to Sandals May 29th off the Fascination. The ship is in port from 9 til 8pm. We are a couple with no kids, do you think in the middle of the week we will have any problems getting 2 passes? Would Riu be a good alternative to Sandals if we cannot get in?

Is this a good place for a 12 yr and a 16 yr old . We did Atlantis several years ago and the time the ship is coming in it would be about the same to do this or get a room at the other hotel . WE would only have 5 hours at Atlantis because of the time they close .

What are the hours with RUI day pass ?

Thank you

Is this a good place for a 12 yr and a 16 yr old . We did Atlantis several years ago and the time the ship is coming in it would be about the same to do this or get a room at the other hotel . WE would only have 5 hours at Atlantis because of the time they close .

What are the hours with RUI day pass ?

Thank you

Hours are 9-5pm. Most day passes are the same

Thank You !!! Now we just have to decide last time we were there we got a room at Atlantis but we were there over night . It was a great deal . So this time we will only have 5 hours at either place :/Any other suggestion Scuba girl and thank you for your help :)

Thank You !!! Now we just have to decide last time we were there we got a room at Atlantis but we were there over night . It was a great deal . So this time we will only have 5 hours at either place :/Any other suggestion Scuba girl and thank you for your help :)

Sheraton is easy to get to and $30pp.

or you can book a tour:

www.blueholewatersports.com

www.seahorsesailingadventures.com

www.flyingcloud.info

and many more..

here's a link to the hotels' tour desk.

www.majestictoursbahamas.com

• 2 months later...
So does the Rui or Wyndham in Nassau have a dance club that would have a DJ, music and dancing?

Neither RUI or Wyndham have dance clubs. Period.

Atlantis has a dance club on weekends in the evenings, Not during the daytime. Aura is very expensive, men's passes can go as high as $100pp for non-atlantis guests.

Wyndham used to have a club, but most of the amenities are shut down with the construction of Bahamar.

Unless you are coming during Spring Break, you won't find much of a party atmosphere.

Senor Frogs, Bambu and Sharkeys are open downtown. None are really "dance clubs".

Club Waterloo is open some weekend nite.. late nite only.