New Website I Found For Merida

hdawson

Thanks, hdawson - great website. I also want to say I really appreciate all your informative responses to questions on this forum. Your love for the area is evident as is your knowledge. My family will be in Progreso next week, and I have made notations of all your suggestions.

Debbie

Debbie. Have a great time. I'm looking forward to reading your impressions when you return. Have a cold Montejo beer for me. On the plaza just past the Cathedral is the Gran Hotel where I'll be staying. I think you might enjoy walking into the lobby. Looks like a movie set of very old classic upscale Mexico.

I just jotted down this recommendation, too - thanks. I have a question for you. I fear it will be blazingly hot at the Dzib. ruins next Tues., so instead of hiring a taxi driver for the entire day - ruins, Merida, back to ship - I think we'll hire one just for the ruins. Then, when we're back to the pier, whoever is hot and tired can opt out of the Merida excursion.

I particularly think my 17 year old daughter and her 16 year old cousin will do just that. So my question (finally) is this, and it's two part

1. Are the shops at the end of the long pier or spaced out along the pier?

2. Would you think the two teens would be OK on their own - to shop some and then board the ship, alone? (Frankly, I'm not sure I'll be comfortable going off to Merida and letting them do this, but just in case, I'd like your opinion).

Debbie

Hi Debbie. I've given some thought to your questions. Of course I don't know your family's travel history but I do think that there is great value to young people's development and education to see and experience cultures that are different from home. It gives them a better understanding of the peoples of the world. And as you know Merida is so different from the very Americanized resort centers of Cancun and Cozumel. Though museums may not be of interest, the carriage rides may sound like fun to them and get a very good overview of Merida. The carriage rides are very reasonable at about $20. It is a university town so there are lots of young folks around all the time. It's so different to see 500 yr old buildings that have been in continuous use for over 500 years and kept up which is something you don't see in the US. Well, there may be three of four in Frederick that are two or three hundred years old as I recall. I had some good times at the old Peter Pan in Urbana or maybe it was Germanton.

Is it hot? You bet! ! Suggest loose fitting shirts and a cap or hat, expecially if anyone has thinning hair such as moi. Carry water to the ruins.

Plenty of places in Merida for any kind of drinks and of course some good lunches/snacks. Plenty of tropical juice shops too. I just checked the weather in Merida for this week and not one single day of a hundred or more. In Oct I expect mid to high eighties.

I think there are now some shops at the end of the pier and of course the flea market in Progreso. This is not your typical tourist town. Hope it stays that way.

As for the kids taking the courtesy bus back to the ship, I think that would be just fine as long as you allow them to roam the ship at other times. Make sure they have their boarding pass and pic id.

Remember, when you leave the ruins you are only 10 to 15 minutes from Merida. Something else just came to mind; I don't remember Merida as being near as hot as at Chichen Intza. Maybe it's because of all the trees and greenery.

Hi again -

Your comments are very much appreciated. I hadn't thought about a carriage ride, and more focused encouraging of the girls to experience some Mexican history and architecture might just work :-)

Peter Pan is now the Cracked Claw, and it still is a hot spot - mostly for gambling now. Are you familiar with the Christian camp in High Pt? Our church regularly sends its seniors there for a trip, and I hear the scenery there is gorgeous.

Thanks again for your help, and I am really looking forward to this port primarily because of your enthusiasm.

Debbie

Archived