CDC Inspection Volendam

emsachs

Does anyone have an idea when CDC is going to do another inspection on the Volendam?

The last inspection was done in November 2004 and it only received an 87 score (86 is passing). We were hoping to have a better inspection before our cruise.

Also, I was wondering if they do the inspection between cruises? Or during a cruise? Could this delay our cruise in any way?

We were hoping that they would do another inspection before our cruise, which sails on June 15. (This Wednesday).

Unless the score is abominable, don't worry about it. The Coast Guard/CDC is so antsy about stuff that you can pull an 87 and the pax can still eat off the floor. If RevNeal checks this thread, he's good at pointing out stuff. For instance, the Rotterdam lost a point because someone left a Coke can in a storage room. Another time, a ship lost two points because a hotdog roller was still in the food line, perfectly clean, but no longer in use; that's not allowed. A chip in a kitchen tile is another violation. Neal can show you where the actual "paperwork" is on the Internet and you can check to see what the violations were -- most likely, very minor things.

.... We were hoping to have a better inspection before our cruise.

We were hoping that they would do another inspection before our cruise, which sails on June 15. (This Wednesday).

If your fear is illness that's pretty funny because of all the ships which have had outbreaks of virus among the pax and crew, I recall absolutely no report of a problem on the Volendam. I know for sure the Veendam has had multiple problems and the Statendam and Rydam also, if my memory is correct.

We recently sailed the Volendam and heard of no illness and from what we could see the ship was immaculate.

Don't worry about it... On these inspections, any passing score is excellent. In fact almost all ships even fail occasionally (by a few points).

Unless the score is really, really low or there is a pattern of failing scores (both of which are extremely rare on any major cruise line), there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Anyone who has fears about cleanliness should take the galley tour if it is offered - this will give you a first-hand look at how clean these ships are kept, even behind the scenes. I seriously don't think I've ever been anywhere cleaner (well, maybe an operating room, but I wouldn't have been awake then to notice ;) ).

Does anyone have an idea when CDC is going to do another inspection on the Volendam?

The last inspection was done in November 2004 and it only received an 87 score (86 is passing). We were hoping to have a better inspection before our cruise.

Also, I was wondering if they do the inspection between cruises? Or during a cruise? Could this delay our cruise in any way?

The inspections are done between cruises when the ship has arrived in their home port. They never do it during a cruise. No, an inspection will never delay your cruise. I believe the ship is only given a day or so notice of an inspection, so no one on this board would know when the next one will be done.

You never know, they could do one on Wed. the day the ship is in Vancouver. Also, I don't think those CDC reports are up-to-day, so they may already have had the inspectors in board.

Just go and have a great time. You are boarding my favourite ship with a great Captain and crew.

I would not imagine that the CDC conducts inspections in "foreign" ports, do they?

Doug - I don't know if they do them in Canada or not. Doubt they would do them in other foreign ports. I'll have to ask about this some day.

When the Rotterdarn returned from the storm where the engines were disabled, last year, it was inspected twice, once at the first Canadian port and once at the first US port. Crew member told me they got a 100 in Canada but only a 99 in the US 'cuz someone left a Coke can in a storage room.

I was on a cruise on one of the -dams when it was inspected mid-cruise in Portland, but not for cleanliness. This was a test of emergency systems.

Archived