due back on board

tucker1865

One last piece of advice. Always check your watch against the ship's time displayed as you leave as well as checking the last boarding time. I've witnessed a lot of running on the dock after the ship has left the dock. They don't turn back for stragglers.

It has been 15 minutes before scheduled sail-a-way time on every Celebrity cruise I have taken, but I do not advise cutting it close. If something causes you to even be a minute late they may not permit you to board.

Only when you, arrive and head off the ship you will know what time to return back by READING THE SIGN

21e4103.jpg

Hope that answers the question, rather guessing. each port, and ship has their schedule. check it out....

Oh yes that is not a wave,

One last piece of advice. Always check your watch against the ship's time displayed as you leave as well as checking the last boarding time. I've witnessed a lot of running on the dock after the ship has left the dock. They don't turn back for stragglers.

What a great tip - we always check the back on board time but have never thought to check our watch against the ships time - thank you we will be doing this from now on.

Only when you, arrive and head off the ship you will know what time to return back by READING THE SIGN

21e4103.jpg

Hope that answers the question, rather guessing. each port, and ship has their schedule. check it out....

Oh yes that is not a wave,

And such a great picture of the no photography signs too ;)

Mike

Make sure you're aware of any difference between ship's time and local time. If the local time is an hour ahead of ship's time, you may see a clock in a store or restaurant and think you have over an hour to return, while in reality, your ship is already drawing in the gangway.

Once, on a Carnival cruise, in Cozumel, my DW and I got back to the ship at 3:30 for a 5:00pm sailing. I went up to the observation deck above the bridge to watch the sailaway.

As 5:00pm approached, the crew singled up the lines, took down all the boarding tents and railings, leaving only a single gangway. 5:00 came ... and went. At about 5:15, they finally pulled in the gangway and the side-thrusters began pushing the ship away from the pier.

It was about 30 feet from the pier, when I noticed a woman running up the pier, screaming "Wait, wait, wait". About six steps behind her was a little girl, screaming "Mommy, mommy, mommy". A few feet behind her was a man, pushing a stroller laden with packages. If it weren't for the possible consequences, it would have been hilarious.

There was another Carnival ship still docked on the other side of the pier, and one of its security officers was on the pier with his radio. Apparenty, he was speaking to the bridge of our ship, because, suddenly, the thrusters stopped and REVERSED. The ship actually returned to the pier for them. A gangway was quickly extended, the family ran on board and we were off.

Given that the family looked normal and had a little girl with them, I doubt that they were getting drunk in one of the many bars in Cozumel. More likely, they were shopping or just wandering. At that time, the ship was still on Miami time (EST), while Cozumel was on Central Std. Time, so the local clocks showed 4:00pm, while ship's time was 5:00pm. They probably thought that they had plenty of time.

Moral of the story, set your watch to ship's time.

Archived