Carnival Splendor: abbreviated port call in Fortaleza today?

Fattony

While it's the Carnival Dream that's in the news today, my question regards the Spendor (which did have a mishap 3 years ago). We saw it pull into Fortaleza, Brazil this morning, and a Web site on ship positions I found said it was due to stay until 5 p.m. But it was gone maybe an hour later. Perhaps on its way to help some of the passengers standed on the Dream? Not exactly close by, but the Splendor was supposed to be heading north to New York.

Could be any of several reasons for the short stay. Maybe the weather or wind was not favorable to a safe porting, maybe there was an issue at the port, political unrest in Brazil...who knows. Seriously doubt it had anything to do with the Dream or passengers on the Dream. If you watch these boards, I am sure someone who was on it will explain the short stay!

Well, not political unrest unless there was a small strike at the port. And they did pull into port for a while, but perhaps the tides, etc. (which have been high lately, though not yesterday) were not conducive to a safe final docking, and they couldn't use tenders, so left (making a lot of shop owners unhappy, I'd imagine). The larger post used by most freighters is up the coast, and conceivably they ended up going there, but cruise ships typically dock at the city's smaller, older in-town port, for access to the city. A large Costa cruise ship spent the day here a couple of days earlier. Was hoping someone on the ship, or a relative who's in communicationw ith someone on board, would know. Just curious.

Archived