Please critique my plans!

MrsPete

Here are our plans for our October cruise. We're a family of four with two children, ages 9 and 12. The youngest is a bit afraid of water, but the oldest thinks she's a fish; thus, we've tried to strike a balance between water and land activities. We realize we've allowed zero time for shopping; it's not important to us.

Our plans are still in the very tenative stage, and any advice on the following would be appreciated:

St. Thomas

Ship docks at 9:00.

Rent a car (suggestions for a place by the pier?)

Drive to Coral World (how far is this anyway?), see exhibits, dad and oldest daughter will do the Sea Trek under-water walk. Will buy tickets ahead of time because the Sea Trek time slot must be reserved.

Walk over to Coki Beach (This is walk-able? Can we leave the rental car in the Coral World parking lot? I've read some unsavory things about Coki; would it be okay to leave my good camera in the trunk of the rental car?) Sun and beach time; bring snorkeling gear and dog biscuits for the fish.

Pick up casual, on-the-go lunch on the beach.

Depart beach 2:30 or 3:00.

Drive to SkyTram to Paradise Point, buy tickets, spend one hour "up top".

Return rental car

Board ship no later than 5:00 for 6:00 departure.

St. Martin

Ship docks at 7:00

Taxi to Butterfly Farm (What time do they open anyway? This may not be do-able.)

Taxi to Lord Sheffield's pier area no later than 10:30.

Lord Sheffield Tall Ship ride 11:00 - 3:15.

Lunch onboard L.S.

Walk back to the ship (this is walkable, right?) mid-afternoon.

Ship sales at 6:00

Again, I'd appreciate any suggestions to our plans.

Please just don't feed the fish dog biscuits - thus why they are called "dog" - affects the system for the beautiful fish,

Peggy

Hmmm. I read in two different places that the natives sell dog biscuits on the beach since it attracts fish; thus, I thought it was acceptable. I didn't know it was a bad thing.

Concerning plans for St. Thomas: there is a Budget car rental office directly adjacent to the port (on the main road near port entrance). You can reserve a car ahead of time online (recommended because this office does not keep many vehicles). We've rented and driven on St. Thomas several times and did not feel like "we were taking our lives in our hands". Be advised that you are driving on the left side of the road - but cars have the steering wheel on the left like in the states. All that being said, it's probably not worth the cost of the rental if you are just going to Coki area and back to the Paradise tram. Taxi would be cheaper. We usually get a rental when we are going over to St. John (to a beach) and then downtown Charlotte Amalie shopping. When you add up all the taxi rides in that equation, the rental is cheaper. Just my thoughts.....

Go with the cab in St. Thomas. It is only $7/person each way and you can be dropped off at the gondola on the way back (it's near the ship pier).

Ray

We were there just last month and loved Coki Beach and Coral World. You can rent a locker in COral WOrld for $3 for the day and I left my expensive camera in it.

Go with the cab in St. Thomas. It is only $7/person each way and you can be dropped off at the gondola on the way back (it's near the ship pier).

We're a family of four, so a taxi (both ways) would cost almost $60 -- just about the same price as a rental car. Sounds like financially it's a wash. Thanks to all of you who suggested the taxi -- we may go that way.

We were there just last month and loved Coki Beach and Coral World. You can rent a locker in COral WOrld for $3 for the day and I left my expensive camera in it.

That's good information.

Hello,

There is an Avis and a Budget office located by the Havensight Pier. The offices are just accross the street.

The drive to Coral World takes about 12-15 minutes.

Sea-Trekin is fun. And you are right on about the Sea-Trekin being done in time slots so getting tickets/your spot in advance is a great idea. Since your son doesn't like the water perhaps the Nautilus at Coral World would work. Its a semi-submarine, http://www.coralworldvi.com/semi-submarine.shtml

Yes you can walk to Coki from Coral World. It will take about 30 seconds ;). Once you have paid to go to Coral World, keep the ticket/braclet/sticker - whatever they give you and then you can go in and out and use the lockers there, their restrooms...

Yes some locals on the beach do sell dog biscuits to visitors for feeding the fish. But its not good for the fish. I don't know of any regulations, at this time, that protect the fish in terms of making it illegal to feed them. Research has indicated that dog biscuits, cheese, cereal, cake, our left over hamburger... and other things we try to feed the fish isn't good for their systems. Fish food for fish. Dog food for dogs. Incidently, the fish are so used to being fed at Coki that they will swarm around you without you having anything to offer.

You can eat at Coki or at Coral World.

If you have a car you can drive up to Paradise Point.

Sounds like a good day.

--Islander

http://www.*****

Archived