Cruise Critic members on Oceania Nautica

mygalsal

Just returned from Hong Kong/Beijing cruise. There were 40 members from Cruise Critic on board. We made plans for a meet/greet in Horizons one morning with no help from Oceania. I felt the group should have at least been acknowledged by the Cruise Director or someone. Several months ago we were on the Ocean Princess with 22 other members of this board. At that meet and greet, the Captain, Head Chef, Cruise Director, and others, came and introduced themselves and thanked us for loyalty to Princess. The Chef even prepared a special seafood Pasta Luncheon one day for the group. I think it's good public relations for a cruise line to acknowledge groups like this.

It is a well known fact on these boards that Oceania does not sponsor, much less acknowledge, CC get togethers on board. That is their policy and they are sticking to it.

Only once, when we had almost 200 CC cruisers on a TA (hard to ignore that many), did they sponsor a get together -- and that was done as a special favor with the caveat that O was not setting a precedent (we were not allowed to discuss on CC for fear of additional similar requests).

Other cruise lines - Azamara, Celebrity, and apparently Princess -- have a different policy.

We have all learned to live with the O policy. We happily arrange our own get togethers. I agree that it is not the smartest public relations policy in the world, but O is entitled to set its policies. No one I know is influenced as to whether to sail O based on whether they sponsor a CC party.

We are Cruise Critic fans as well as Oceania fans. But, I view recognition of select groups on-board with mixed opinion. True, the members of that group would like special recognition of some sort ... not unreasonable. But, that group represents a small percentage of passengers on board. Being excluded can be a negative for some people.

I see Oceania more strategically focusing on cruisers with a demonstrated loyalty to the brand in terms of the number of cruises taken or days sailed.

I remain surprised at the continuing complaints about Oceania not assisting with Meet & Greets because that has never been my experience. No, they don't "host" the gathering, they don't have any officers present, etc. But I go to the concierge with my list of participants and the concierge finds a time and place. In my experience it's always been in Horizons but the schedule of other meetings and activities will impact the time that is recommended.

Oceania then prepares and delivers invitations to all participants.

Sometimes we get free munchies at the gathering but I don't count on that. And of course it's a cash bar.

Mura

Mura -- these folks are complaining about the fact that O does not HOST the Meet & Greets -- they would like O to do what several other lines do -- provide food and drink and have officers attend.

I, too, have no problem setting it up on the ship -- getting invites sent out.

The OP is looking for more than that I believe.

I remain surprised at the continuing complaints about Oceania not assisting with Meet & Greets because that has never been my experience. No, they don't "host" the gathering, they don't have any officers present, etc. But I go to the concierge with my list of participants and the concierge finds a time and place. In my experience it's always been in Horizons but the schedule of other meetings and activities will impact the time that is recommended.

Oceania then prepares and delivers invitations to all participants.

Sometimes we get free munchies at the gathering but I don't count on that. And of course it's a cash bar.

Mura

On our recent South American Explorer Cruise on Regatta we had a number of CC Meet and Greet events, two or three as I recall. Yes we even got printed invitations. They were simple affairs in Horizons, cash bar, free peanuts and pretzels with lots of fun loving folks. I think it depends on how and when you approach Oceania staff members so that it can fit into their scheduled events.

I agree with those who feel if you want to have a get-together, do it on your own. There are plenty of opportunities to meet officers and crew if you want to take part in them that O does sponsor. Personally, I seldom go to any of these events when offered, there are too many other things to do that I enjoy. I guess I am a party-pooper when it comes to this stuff.

Archived