Marina - Auckland to Sydney Just back

kibutzer

Quick review,

This was our 4th O cruise, first on the big ship. Loved the layout generally, not the library. By the time I got to the lib in the afternoon. Layout was really challenging and awkward when trying to get a book when the library was occupied.

Loved barista coffee and staff especially the young man from Italy. He would make really artistic cappacinos with great scenes made in foam.

Food as I remembered although staff seemed to have a really hard time getting meat cooked to right temp in both waves grill and terrace cafe grill, although I love the new options.

We too experienced a lot of new staff on ship and often many of them spent more time talking to each other than watching out for passengers, perhaps it was because many of the head wait staff also seemed not to be really paying attention to passengers, doing alot of quick scanning and on the phone but not seeming to make contact with passengers.

Perhaps I am overly sensitive because in previous cruises they have been so attentive and filled water glasses without even asking, this one seemed different.

Really appreciated Executive Chef Laurent(?) and his commitment to customer satisfaction. FDR if you are reading this he was always available and he truly is dedicated to making his passengers happy. He was always around and I really enjoyed speaking with him.

Cant wait for next cruise.

Quick review,

This was our 4th O cruise, first on the big ship. Loved the layout generally, not the library. By the time I got to the lib in the afternoon. Layout was really challenging and awkward when trying to get a book when the library was occupied.

Loved barista coffee and staff especially the young man from Italy. He would make really artistic cappacinos with great scenes made in foam.

Food as I remembered although staff seemed to have a really hard time getting meat cooked to right temp in both waves grill and terrace cafe grill, although I love the new options.

We too experienced a lot of new staff on ship and often many of them spent more time talking to each other than watching out for passengers, perhaps it was because many of the head wait staff also seemed not to be really paying attention to passengers, doing alot of quick scanning and on the phone but not seeming to make contact with passengers.

Perhaps I am overly sensitive because in previous cruises they have been so attentive and filled water glasses without even asking, this one seemed different.

Really appreciated Executive Chef Laurent(?) and his commitment to customer satisfaction. FDR if you are reading this he was always available and he truly is dedicated to making his passengers happy. He was always around and I really enjoyed speaking with him.

Cant wait for next cruise.

Can you tell us more about the ports? We are doing the same cruise next year.

Roughness of the water?

Also more about the cabins?

Roughness of the water?

We did this trip with short notice so we did not arrange as many private tours as we usually do. Would definitely recommend this itinerary. Took Oceania air was okay but we live near in a major hub.

Highly recommend you join/start a thread on upcoming cruise.

In each city there are great visitors centers and it is very easy to arrange things on your own check Isite for Australia and N.Z. Also can recommend some guides.

Hobart and Wellington were my favorite cities although we enjoyed all of them. Be sure to go to wild sanctuary for kangaroos , one in Hobart, was great.

Our captain said we had a very easy crossing for the Tasman sea,( 10-12 foot swells maybe) but we brought patches and we were fine. Ship is great and the motion is part of the fun for us.

Had a penthouse but we would have enjoyed a window cabin just fine. If you want to know more I will post on Ports of Call when I have time or ask specific questions.

If we had time we would have added some time in NZ to explore more inland and also added Brisbane, Barrier Reef and Perth. But that would have added another three weeks.

Roughness of the water?

Ports were great. Had great private tour guides which I will write about once I get caught up as I just flew home today. We were lucky with the Tasman Sea but those on the current sailing I doubt would be as lucky as the waves were higher due to a cyclone going through the area.

I honestly would take a cabin midship if you want to avoid most of the wave motion. We had an aft extended balcony and yes I definitely noticed the motion. Didn't get sick, but it did wake me up in the night if it was particularly bad. Weather has cooled down in Melbourne and Hobart due to weather system that has just moved in. It was 34C when we were in port. Really hot.

Archived