Latitudes Question - Level Changes for a Growing Cruise Line???

WildcatRock

With the new larger ships coming on line soon, and the overall growth NCL is experiencing, my DW and I have been wondering if NCL might be forced to make changes some time in the future to the qualifying points for the Latitudes program - or create an even higher tier? Here's the challenge as we see it - our wonderful cruise line is growing with more and more new cruisers joining the NCL fan club. We all attend the Latitudes party on our cruises and there are more and more people attending these parties. Will the Platinum Latitudes level get so many members that the concierge will become overwhelmed, or the benefits one receives as a Platinum Latitudes member become diluted due to the shear number of people at that level?

We're going to hit the Platinum level after our cruise on the Pearl this Fall after just our fifth cruise. We know NCL cruisers, as I'm sure many of you do, who have over 100 points, or over 150 points, and they receive the same benefits as new Platinum members. Wouldn't they/you, at some point, want to receive a higher level of benefits that are reflective of their long-term commitment to NCL? Will NCL eventually be forced to change the Latitudes benefits to reward these higher level Latitudes members?

So, we have a situation in which the number of Platinum Latitudes members is increasing, which might possibly strain NCL's ability to provide the required level of service to those members; plus, all of the cruisers that have accumulated significant point totals who should receive the perks/service reflective of the dollars they've spent with NCL over the years.

My personal opinion? I think NCL might be forced to eventually create a higher Latitudes level (Diamond, Emerald??) to appropriately reward those cruisers who have significant cruising history's with NCL, and to ensure the level of service to higher level Latitudes members doesn't decline.

Thoughts/comments?

I think that whenever it becomes easier to achieve elite status - in any loyalty program - it does become necessary to create an additional level of recognition for the most frequent guests.

For example, I am a Diamond in Hyatt's Gold Passport program. Hyatt has only three tiers: Gold (initial tier for all who register), Platinum, and Diamond. One would normally have to stay 15 nights/5 separate stays in order to achieve Platinum status, but Hyatt recently introduced a credit card which automatically gives every cardholder Platinum status within the program. Since the inception of the card, the line at Platinum & Diamond check-in has grown increasingly longer, and I don't appreciate this. I don't stay with Hyatt 25 times every year for the pleasure of waiting in line behind people who are there because they signed up for a credit card. The logical solution would be to create a dedicated Diamond-only check-in, but this has yet to be implemented. Also, because they also provide Platinum upgrade certificates to these people, the Grand Club has also become more crowded, and on my most recent visit they had to lock up the soda at night because it was disappearing too quickly due to the influx. Is this really how they want to treat their top-tier members?

The way NCL's new program is structured, it's possible for someone to achieve top-tier elite status in three cruises if all bonuses are applied. Is this fair to someone who has cruised with NCL 25+ times over 20 years? Of course not. At some point, those parties (and certain other - or new - benefits) should become Silver and higher, or possibly Gold and higher, to ensure the highest-tier guests are provided with the appropriate level of appreciation. I think NCL owes it to their most frequent cruisers to do this.

I think that whenever it becomes easier to achieve elite status - in any loyalty program - it does become necessary to create an additional level of recognition for the most frequent guests.

For example, I am a Diamond in Hyatt's Gold Passport program. Hyatt has only three tiers: Gold (initial tier for all who register), Platinum, and Diamond. One would normally have to stay 15 nights/5 separate stays in order to achieve Platinum status, but Hyatt recently introduced a credit card which automatically gives every cardholder Platinum status within the program. Since the inception of the card, the line at Platinum & Diamond check-in has grown increasingly longer, and I don't appreciate this. I don't stay with Hyatt 25 times every year for the pleasure of waiting in line behind people who are there because they signed up for a credit card. The logical solution would be to create a dedicated Diamond-only check-in, but this has yet to be implemented. Also, because they also provide Platinum upgrade certificates to these people, the Grand Club has also become more crowded, and on my most recent visit they had to lock up the soda at night because it was disappearing too quickly due to the influx. Is this really how they want to treat their top-tier members?

The way NCL's new program is structured, it's possible for someone to achieve top-tier elite status in three cruises if all bonuses are applied. Is this fair to someone who has cruised with NCL 25+ times over 20 years? Of course not. At some point, those parties (and certain other - or new - benefits) should become Silver and higher, or possibly Gold and higher, to ensure the highest-tier guests are provided with the appropriate level of appreciation. I think NCL owes it to their most frequent cruisers to do this.

First to address Hilton et al. When I was still somewhat of a road warrior and achieved Executive Platinum on AA and Platinum with starwood, other brands and airlines automatically would upgrade me to their top tier with just a phone call to their membership desks. They just wanted to gain my business. They were gambling I would prefer their elite program. Truth be told, I only stayed with say a Hilton or flew Delta, US Air etc... because of lack of available services where I had to go. They were willing to gamble for the business travel.

I think cruises are different because they are purely looking for loyalty and not a large volume of business travel. Even still the majority of cruisers aren't going to even make the 2nd level for years. Once we get to a top level they are betting that we do not want to go to another line and spend the time and money to get us up to elite. There are very few of us that could book a suite 9 months in advance with a special on a 20 day cruise. Why go up to another level knowing that it is likely that your average cruiser won't be able to hit top tier status for years on another cruise. Not saying it is right, but does make sense to me from a business perspective.

One note, by brother took an around the world cruise on Princess in a suite back in 2000. Princess gave him their elite status and it was only his second time on a princess ship.

I have cruised solo on 4 separate NCL cruises, paying 2x the pp charge for the cabin. But I only get credit for 1 person. If I had another person with me, we would each get the 7 pts. per cruise; even though I am paying for 2 people I only get 7 pts. When I have mentioned this, the answer is always "This is the way it is done." My daughter says it is because they don't make the money on the cabins, but on the extras, and as a solo cruiser I don't "do 2x extras". Guess that makes sense, but still ...:confused:

Archived