TV-DVD Hook Ups

Jadn13

Are the TV's on the ships able to be hooked up to

DVD players or computers if we pack the cables?

Particularly on the Emerald

-bringing a personal DVD player mostly for my time in London.

Thank YOU!

-Jamie

We hook up our DVD player on every ship we have been on. Some TV sets are a little difficult to attach the cables due to the fixed positions but we have always managed. Hint: bring along a small mirror so as to reflect areas where cables must go. Also a multi head socket adapter as there can be but one outlet for the TV.

Short answer - no. Many of the televisions don't even have auxiliary inputs. Those that do have them disabled. They want you to buy the pay-per-view movies.

Art

Short answer - YES (almost always). Princess does not have pay-per-view movies and they use standard flat screens with the OEM remotes and we have found no functions disabled on Princess. Not all ships have models with HDMI inputs so you should bring alternate cables such as VGA and audio left and right. Some have connections on the side, but as mentioned above, a small mirror is required to find the connections on the back of some models.

It was also announced that the Royal and Regal Princess will have on demand tv shows and movies that will be COMPLIMENTARY :) :)

Edited by IECalCruiser

Short answer - no. Many of the televisions don't even have auxiliary inputs. Those that do have them disabled. They want you to buy the pay-per-view movies.

Art

Don't know what ships you are referring to, but on my last cruises on Star, Sapphire, and Coral I connected my netbook and iPad to the tv with an HTML cable with no problem. Before that, I remember connecting component.

Sometimes, it is a little difficult finding the connections. Last ship I took a picture with my iPhone.

We connected our mini dvd player to the flat screen tv on the Pacific Princess last year. Our cabin steward showed us how to lift up the bottom of the tv to access the additional plug and the inputs. We never seem to be in our cabin when movies start, so we took several movie dvd's and tv show dvd's with us for our 'dead' time.

I think I just may try it and see if it works

Thank You for all the answers.

A quick PS

If you can record DVD's from audio music channels do so and bringing along a few discs of your favourite music.

• 1 year later...
Our friends hooked up a portable DVD to his tv on the Coral... and yes he did need the mirror to do so.

I managed to hook up my HDMI on the Coral recently & it was one of the toughest TV's I've even ran across on all the Princess ships. The connection was almost impossible to reach with or without a mirror. It must have taken me 20 minutes of indelibly trying to plug the HDMI into the set. One trick I found was to lower the TV as much as possible- it provides a little more room for access.

Some of the earlier flat screen ViewSonic TVs did not have HDMI connections but more recent ones do. I won't swear to it but my recollection is that the TVs on the Emerald did have HDMI connections.

I think your right. For some reason there was one ship that I had to use my RGB cable. I suppose it was the Emerald. And if I recall correctly I had to use an audio cable also to get sound.

To many ships to remember which was which. :D

I will be sailing on the Island Princess in a mini-suite which has 2 TVs, are they identical? Does anyone have a picture of what they look like that they can post?

Do the TVs in the cabins not already have a DVD player? I thought we would be able to "rent" movies from the ship's library or something. If we bring a laptop + HDMI connector would that be sufficient for the Island? Seems easier than bringing an entire DVD player with you.

I will be sailing on the Island Princess in a mini-suite which has 2 TVs, are they identical? Does anyone have a picture of what they look like that they can post?

Do the TVs in the cabins not already have a DVD player? I thought we would be able to "rent" movies from the ship's library or something. If we bring a laptop + HDMI connector would that be sufficient for the Island? Seems easier than bringing an entire DVD player with you.

Yes they are identical, no you cannot rent any movies, DVD players are only in suites, but yes you can hook one up to the TV if you bring one. Make sure you have both an HDMI cable and RCA jacks cable with you just in case.

The TV's are just 35 inch computer screens basicly, no HD.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I don't have a photo of the TV's but they do have an HDMI input unless they've changed the TV's since Nov 2012. They work well with any player, tablet or phone with movie files. We always bring our own movies since we like selection that Princess doesn't offer on their ships + the fact that we can stop it at any time & resume it later. I wouldn't even think about a full size DVD player as it's much to large to carry.