pocket knife

GeneD

I have a leatherman Squirt small pocketman that I carry in my pocket. Will I be hasseled when getting on and off the ship with it?

What is NCL's policy if there even is one. On another thought when getting on and off the Celebrity Summit several years ago we had to put our bags, camera and otherwise, on a moving bed of an xray machine. I don't remember if we had to empty our pockets of metal objects but I know I carried the leatherman onboard.

Um, yes. My DH brought his with him while boarding the Dawn in Boston. They confiscated it, held it and then we were able to have it returned to us upon return to the dockyard. He did not have it in his pocket, it was in his camera case. He is a longtime watcher of NCIS and was devastated he couldn't stick to Gibbs rule #9 (always carry a knife).

Um, yes. My DH brought his with him while boarding the Dawn in Boston. They confiscated it, held it and then we were able to have it returned to us upon return to the dockyard. He did not have it in his pocket, it was in his camera case. He is a longtime watcher of NCIS and was devastated he couldn't stick to Gibbs rule #9 (always carry a knife).

Same thing happened to DH in NYC. Except his was a small Swiss Army knife in his carry on. No problem with items like that in checked luggage.

last may in san pedro they wanted to confiscate my husband's swiss army knife. he argued with security and a supervisor got a copy of what could and could not be brought aboard. it turned out that the list of allowed items included swiss army knives by name. so all was ok since he won't go anywhere without it.

We wil be driving to Boston so I will pack it in my luggage and then whenit get to my room put it in my pocket.

Xenite2525 once your husband got the knife back did he have any problem getting on or off the ship with it in his pocket? Or did he just leave it in the room or his pocket while on the ship?

Be aware that the folks running security in the ports aren't necessarily cruise ship employees. You will also go through a metal detector getting on the ship, and your bags will be scanned just like when you embarked. I'd recommend leaving the knife on board or risk getting it confiscated getting back on.

I put a leatherman in my checked baggage and it was no issue

DH has carried same little pocket knife in his pocket for years. We've cruised many times since 9/11 and, for the first time, it was confiscated in NO as we boarded the Star in January. They also took this small fold-up utility tool he was carrying.

Both were retrieved at the guest services desk the last night of the cruise.

I have no idea what prompted this change since we've cruised from NO several times in the last few years. Perhaps it was just the whim of the folks checking us in. But, no big deal. Just kind of strange.

I've had no luck in getting a pocket knife or leatherman on board. It is always flagged by security and held until the end of cruise. If you keep it in your pocket it will set off the metal detector and if you put it in the basket they will take it.

Every time you reboard the ship you go through the metal detector. Best try is through checked bags, but you will only be able to carry it on the ship, the first time you reboard they will find it.

I always have a small Swiss Army Knife in my purse - never had a problem. Several times I forgot to pull it out when flying and TSA never caught it either.

So maybe the answer for you guys is to put it in your wife's purse!

We wil be driving to Boston so I will pack it in my luggage and then whenit get to my room put it in my pocket.

Xenite2525 once your husband got the knife back did he have any problem getting on or off the ship with it in his pocket? Or did he just leave it in the room or his pocket while on the ship?

It was confiscated at the pier before boarding. She said they got it when they got off the ship so he didn't have it the entire cruise.

My DH also had his confiscated in NOLA in 2009 so in December 2012, we put it in checked luggage and all was fine.

Please tell me the reasons to bring pocket knives aboard a cruise ship, are you all taking them for protection in port? TIA I have no idea so no flames.

I take a leatherman because you never know what you might need to fix/open/adjust. Last trip the latch on my suitcase broke and I had to disassemble it, bend some things, etc. I also take a small eyeglass repair kit and a couple other small things "just in case"

Thank you for the answer my grandfather left me his pocket knives I never even looked at them, but maybe I will get them out of storage, and take one on my trip!

My father, in his 70's, never goes anywhere without one. Generally it's a small, very sharp, single blade knife. He says "you never know when you'll need something really sharp"

As small as my leatherman is it has pliers, a file, scissors, a phillips, and a flathead screwdriver, a bottle opener, a knife and a smaller 4 inch ruler. Pretty much a tool kit in a nice compact package and I use it all the time.

I would think that change or a watch or metal belt buckle would get through the metal detectors when boarding the ship. I can't remember what it was like on the Summit but I think I had it on me when leaving and boarding the ship at various ports I don't think I left it in my cabin. I know when we went up for the bridge tour we were wanded. The wand went off and I told the wandee that it must be the change in my pocket. Afterwards I reached into my pocket and sure enough the leatherman was there!

Archived