Explorer: Iceland to Northern Canada August 2013

Mr Retired

We are planning to take this cruise but, for family and business reasons, we need to be in daily touch with the USA. Does anyone out there have experience on how well telephone & internet connections work on that itinerary? Of course, we're familiar with the usual slow internet speed on cruise ships, but are there any particular problems in those northern latitudes? Thanks for any input.

There are no guarantees. Internet mostly works (but not quickly), in my experience, but there is a small chance that it intermittently won't and a smaller chance that equipment failure could take it out altogether. Satellite phone is less reliable. I have never had a useable connection, but I am not a frequent user and I may have been unlucky. YMMV!

On our explorer cruise to Svalbard from Iceland last year, the Internet worked very well till we got above to arctic circle. Then it was hit and miss. Most days I was able to get a connection. I think you will be fine.

Archived