Differences in cave companies

drivers ed

I posted a big comparison about my experience using .bz and .com yesterday but I forgot you aren't allowed to do that so it was deleted. My bad. But since you asked her are my thoughts between those two.

Several years ago I used .com and last week I used .bz and I have to say that both tours were really great. We had no issues with either company and really enjoyed both tours and I don’t think you would go wrong with either company. Personally I did like .bz a little better and here are my reasons.

• The lunch – it was delicious & home cooked, a great setting, very close to the caves AND they even came around and happily offered seconds of everything. Plus there was beer available as well as a store which was nice.
  • The guides – we had two excellent guides (Axle & Harrison). I know this is very dependent on which guide you get but these two were super. We were given A LOT more information than we received with .com last time on both the ride there and the walk to the caves.
  • The rum punch – it was excellent and had a nice kick to it. Axle told us to take our cups along for the ride and he brought an extra gallon along for “refueling” on the ride back to port.
  • The vans – there were only 14 of us in the .bz van instead of the bigger bus that was used by .com. We actually got to know some of the other passengers and ended hanging out with them on the ship later in the week.
  • Customer Service – Before I even got home I received an e-mail asking how everything was. When I told the owner that I never received the t-shirt that was promised for booking 8 people he apologized and asked me to send him my address and size and he would send me my shirt. It really wasn’t a big deal but he wanted to make sure everyone is happy.

As I started out, I think both tours are very reliable and offer very good tours and I don’t think you would go wrong with either one. If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask.

Steve

I read a review, and they said that when they were on their tour, they had to carry their innertubes during the walk thru the woods/jungle/whatever ya call it over there - but that they saw another tour group that did not have to carry their innertubes - they did not know which tour that was - do you know which company that is? (yeah, I'm lazy!!)

Thanks!

Cindy

You talk about a .com & .bz for cave tubing but I see one that's cost is in the middle of those two, and its a .net. Anyone know anything about them. And I really don't want to carry my tube either. I'll just be happy to make the 30 minute walk.

wrcjr98, I used VIV in January and we did not carry our tubes until about 5 minutes before we reached the river. We were also the only group I saw who had tubes with mesh bottoms. I recently wrote a review about them on Trip Advisor, not sure if I'm allowed to post it here, but it does have a few pictures, my reviewer name is Kristy W.

Besides the cost, which are your favorite companies for cave-tubing. Do they all offer lunch? Do some do less caves, Do any have inferior tubes, like old or all patched up? Do they all pick up at cruise ship ports?

On these boards both .bz and .com tend to be very highly rated. We went with Cave Tubing R Us. Yes, we were picked up at the cruise port and no, lunch was not included. They did have the luxury tubes with a headrest and a mesh bottom that link together, so there was no linking together by hands and feet. The number of caves you get to go through really depends on the crowds and how quickly you get to the Cave Tubing park. The day we were there, we only went through two caves.

• 2 weeks later...

we just did a tour with .bz. No problems and a lot of fun. Easy to meet right outside the gate. we had 2 guides to give us information in the van and while hiking. you must have 1 guide / 8 people. the tubes were new twith headrests and clip together in a chain. We walked a little farther than some other companies to have a longer tube ride. the caves were quite amazing and the water felt great after walking. Lunch was good and plentiful and free wifi so bring your ipad, etc to update.there was a tiny gift area and logo tshirts for $10 No problem leaving things in the locked van while tubing.

We went with .bz and LOVED them. We did go with them before they got the newer tubes with the headrest and back when they linked the feet to the arms things, however we didn't have a problem back then and there was only 3 of us with the guide (junior). Their food was AMAZING and they offered as much as we could eat (along with the rum punch and cashew wine tasting).

Here is a review from back then:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30667696&postcount=44

There is a link at the bottom of the review that has additional pictures. It was quite a day!!! :)

We used .biz and they were great. Yes, we had to carry our tubes and this was most difficult part of the trip because it was a long trek. Our guides were very helpful and were willing to help out in any way. One of them actually held the tune for one of the ladies in our group.

The lunch was great and the owner of the company prides himself on the services. I would recommend going through them any day.

We just got off the Liberty and did the zip lining/cave tubing excursion with VIV tours and it was awesome! The tubes were waiting for us so no one had to carry their tube. This tour did include lunch but I'm not sure if you just did the cave tubing if it would include lunch.

We used .com this past Feb. Women didn't have to carry their tubes but it was because the men either carried for their wives and the guide carried some. Gotta say our tour was fun & amazing but felt they were a bit confused that day because the entire van except for two people added ATVing. ($75 for the combo) We were also all put on a bus then moved to a van because of no shows. :o Van stopped on the way at a house to pick up life jackets, a women and her child. We went ATVing while they sent the other couple ahead of us with a guide leaving us with just the one until we met back up where you get into the water. They offered us a free beer upon arrival but only gave us about 5 minutes to drink it right before we got on the ATV's :eek: The other couple took our original van which was nice but the one we took to the river was on it's last leg. You could feel the transmission slipping and we were afraid we were going to break down. We all kept laughing about it and making fun comments but down deep we were all very concerned. Then the driver of the cruddy van didn't have the keys to the nice van to store our stuff. Finally on the trail to get the tubes. We enjoyed our walk to the entry point and was a highlight of our trip. Our guide stopped and showed us so much interesting things along the way. I even ate termites!!! Once back we headed to lunch which is a Balizen tamale. WARNING they make them with the full thigh bone inside but they were YUMMY!

Bottom line - I would book again with them. I think our tour was just a fluke with the crazyness.

Note: Water shoes are ok but I recommend tennis shoes. You can really feel the rocks along the path to the river with water shoes.

Happy Planning!!

BonVoyage

Dawna

• The lunch – it was delicious & home cooked, a great setting, very close to the caves AND they even came around and happily offered seconds of everything. Plus there was beer available as well as a store which was nice.
  • The guides – we had two excellent guides (Axle & Harrison). I know this is very dependent on which guide you get but these two were super. We were given A LOT more information than we received with .com last time on both the ride there and the walk to the caves.
  • The rum punch – it was excellent and had a nice kick to it. Axle told us to take our cups along for the ride and he brought an extra gallon along for “refueling” on the ride back to port.
  • The vans – there were only 14 of us in the .bz van instead of the bigger bus that was used by .com. We actually got to know some of the other passengers and ended hanging out with them on the ship later in the week.
  • Customer Service – Before I even got home I received an e-mail asking how everything was. When I told the owner that I never received the t-shirt that was promised for booking 8 people he apologized and asked me to send him my address and size and he would send me my shirt. It really wasn’t a big deal but he wanted to make sure everyone is happy.

As I started out, I think both tours are very reliable and offer very good tours and I don’t think you would go wrong with either one. If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask.

Steve

We did this tour last week off of the Mariner of the Seas. I had booked for my family of four and we met another couple from our ship who had booked the tour as well. We had a great time and enjoyed ourselves. Our guides were Syed and Jorge. Both were excellent!! They explained some history of Belize and pointed our various points of interest to us. Everyone in my family loved the food and I enjoyed the punch at lunch and on the ride back!

Regarding the tubes, we did carry ours but they offered to carry the tubes for anyone who wanted it. They are light and not hard to carry. They have the head rest though I don't think I ever really used it. Our tubes were locked together with Clips, no feet locking.

How bumpy was the ride in the vans to the tubing site? My wife had neck surgery 3 months ago, and while it is okay for her to engage in normal activities, she is not supposed to ride anything like bumpy like a 4 wheeler.

I just booked VIV for my family and got a very generic email response. I really wish they would take a deposit so I would know we are actually booked. I am worried we will get there and VIV won't take us because they are overbooked or something. And of course the family will blame it on me.

I just booked VIV for my family and got a very generic email response. I really wish they would take a deposit so I would know we are actually booked. I am worried we will get there and VIV won't take us because they are overbooked or something. And of course the family will blame it on me.

Don't worry, you will have a great time!! We booked a tour with them earlier this month and it was fantastic!! You will love them!

I am just concerned because other tours take a small deposit. VIV takes no money in advance. My kids are so excited to go cave tubing and zip lining, so I want to make sure that it really happens without booking the cruiseline tour.

No worries!! It will happen and they'll love it! Our tour was very organized and well planned. If you have any concerns, just email them and they will email you back. I was concerned about making it off the ship quickly and meeting up with the tour, and he emailed right back and was very reassuring about everything.

Did you try emailing them back with personal questions asking questions? Some times that will get them to respond.

I went with .bz and they personally answered the emails back and forth before we went (no generic email).

I am just concerned because other tours take a small deposit. VIV takes no money in advance. My kids are so excited to go cave tubing and zip lining, so I want to make sure that it really happens without booking the cruiseline tour.

We went with .bz and they don't require a deposit either. I didn't think that any of the cavetubing companies did.

.com didn't require a deposit either. Absolutely LOVED the Belizean spicy chicken tamales - and I'm not a tamale fan. They are huge - like the size of a very fat burrito.

Our ride was in nice bus w/AC. We added zip lining and would do it again. I echo that tennies are much better than cheap water shoes, or very good athletic water shoes would be good. Even an athletic sandal like a Teva would work if it has thick soles and straps on so it can't come off.

• 4 weeks later...

We went with .net and cant say enough good things about them. I completely trust Major Tom to provide the best individual experience possible. We ran into the other companies on our trip and I definitely felt we had the best tour guide.

• 2 weeks later...
I posted a big comparison about my experience using .bz and .com yesterday but I forgot you aren't allowed to do that so it was deleted. My bad. But since you asked her are my thoughts between those two.

Several years ago I used .com and last week I used .bz and I have to say that both tours were really great. We had no issues with either company and really enjoyed both tours and I don’t think you would go wrong with either company. Personally I did like .bz a little better and here are my reasons.

Steve

I am confused, there are a lot of cave tubing companies with almost the same web names. I want the one you went on. is .bz or .biz. We have a group of 15 going all newbies, I am not going on this excursion with them, so I need to make sure they will be taken care of.

We were with .bz

I'm sure your group will have a great time.

Steve

Thanks, I thought that was it just wasn't sure.

I have another question. Is the hike to the cave up hill or flat. I am thinking I really want to go with the group now. Just not so sure about the hike. I get out of breath easily. But I just figured since we would have a group of 18 and be by ourselves we could kind of go at our on pace as long and I would be ok as long as it's not uphill.

Archived