Solstice Family Verandah Cabin Questions

goncruzn

For those who may have sailed in a Family Verandah cabin on the Solstice or sister ships, can you tell me if the two cabins on deck #8 (8107 & 8108) are any better than the two on deck #7 (7107 & 7108)? They look to be the same except for the balcony and I love balconies so I would like to have the largest one possible. The brochure says they range from 54 - 105 sq. ft.

My mother has wanted to go to Alaska for so many years and we kept putting it off. We finally decided to go ahead and do it and now she is so excited. Well, we are all excited. There will be four adults and one 11 yr old. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

For those who may have sailed in a Family Verandah cabin on the Solstice or sister ships, can you tell me if the two cabins on deck #8 (8107 & 8108) are any better than the two on deck #7 (7107 & 7108)? They look to be the same except for the balcony and I love balconies so I would like to have the largest one possible. The brochure says they range from 54 - 105 sq. ft.

My mother has wanted to go to Alaska for so many years and we kept putting it off. We finally decided to go ahead and do it and now she is so excited. Well, we are all excited. There will be four adults and one 11 yr old. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You definitely want one of the 8th floor ones--the cabins are a bit larger and the balconies are much larger.

You definitely want one of the 8th floor ones--the cabins are a bit larger and the balconies are much larger.

That's what I thought, but wanted to double check to make sure. Thanks for your help!

So there is a big bed in the very large 'master' bedroom--and also a ton of what is actually wasted space, but nice to have.

The second bedroom has two bunks, a closet and a nightstand. No window. Very small, just the length of the bunk bed. Not sure how you will allocate the space. My grown daughter and her BF stayed in there while we luxuriated in the big bedroom. Too bad they didn't use the space better; you could have had two very good sized bedrooms.

The living and dining area is also huge, not enough furniture to fill it. When we were in it (8107) the 'dining' table was a two-top from the buffet! It has the same dresser/desk found in all the other cabins. So there is a couch (becomes the 5th bed), two chairs and a small coffee table; the dining table and two chairs, and a buffet piece in the corner. I think there will be scant room for all 5 of you to hang out--you can make it work but you will be tight in the living room. BTW just the one TV.

The only downsides are that it is a long walk to just about anywhere--this may not bother you; and when we docked in the early mornings, it was EXTREMELY loud and rattling--coffee sloshing in cups, light fixtures swinging, etc. It was all over in 5 or 10 minutes, but quite extraordinary especially when you feel none of that in other parts of the ship.

In short, there are lots of plusses to these cabins, and only a few negatives, but a great choice for a bigger group. Have fun!

Since these cabins are all the way forward, part of the balcony is kind of tucked into the metal superstructure of the ship--the balcony is long but not very wide, I would say standard balcony width. We had to ask for two more chairs, only two out there when we boarded.

We have stayed in deck 8 family veranda cabins. Just to warn you the second bedroom is very small and the adults will be in bunk beds. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 teenagers and the sleeping/storage arrangements were tight in the 2nd bedroom. The 11 year old would be sleeping in the lounge on the sofa. We now go for 2 separate cabins over this cabin as it gives our boys proper beds and we get 2 bathrooms instead of 1. Just thought I would mention in for your information.:)

Thanks so much for the replies. You've given me a lot to think about. There's roughly three generations of women traveling together on this trip. I was thinking my mother and my aunt, mid seventies and early eighties with no mobility issues, could use the master bedroom. My sister and her daughter, early forties and 11 years, could use the second bedroom, and I (early 50's), would sleep on the sofa bed. We'll have to give it some thought to make sure it works for everyone.

Thanks so much for the replies. You've given me a lot to think about. There's roughly three generations of women traveling together on this trip. I was thinking my mother and my aunt, mid seventies and early eighties with no mobility issues, could use the master bedroom. My sister and her daughter, early forties and 11 years, could use the second bedroom, and I (early 50's), would sleep on the sofa bed. We'll have to give it some thought to make sure it works for everyone.

Per other comments- best to consider connecting cabins. Much more comfortable and you get two bathrooms, which are necessary especially for those over 50! I would also bet that the price would be about the same.

Enjoy your trip

And if you get 2 balcony cabins next to one another they will open the divider to make one large balcony, which will have more chairs than the family veranda cabin (4 instead of 2 or 3). Finally, I haven't slept on the sofa bed, but I have sat on it and I really can't imagine it being that comfy to sleep on. Maybe someone can confirm whether this is the case?

Archived